Machine Shop Visit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Machine Shop Visit

Hi All:
Just wanted to share my experience this afternoon. I went over to visit Rob McQuarie at Blue Oval Performance. I had forgotten they keep odd hours Tues-Friday 8:30-1:00 and 2:00-5:30 (or something similar, depending). Bottom line is that Rob is a great guy and full of information. He will gladly build whatever you wish to spend.... I had asked a few of the basics and came out with some prices. He starts out with a hot tank ($80) and then will magnaflux ($75) or Sonic "map" ($90) depending on what you desire. New cam bearings and freeze plugs ($55). Also will do the oil mods to the block after it cleaned up the first time (he doesn't want to waste his time or your money on a block thats no good to start with) for $120. I did not get into the cost of boring because I probably will not need it but, a honing is $90 or $140 with plates. A complete balance of the reciprocating assembly, including the dampner and flex for auto is $160 (a little more for 4-speed flywheels). Moving to the heads, I asked about hardened seats ($140) and then a performance valve job ($210-pr). Of course all the prices were off the top of his head, but then I scavenged quite a bit of that in the 45 minutes we shot the breeze. I told he came highly recommended by William in Atlanta and that I would be sharing my experience. Also, I let him know that he may be hearing from a few of the fine local folks so tell him Mike sent you. Give him a call 303-762-8298, the shop is at about Hampden and Oxford.
--Mike G

Old 02-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Spudco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Machine Shop Visit

Mike,

Based on this thread I stopped by Blue Oval Performance today. I concur with all the praise you heap on Rob McQ. I didn't tell him about all the information I got from your post until after we had talked FE's for about 1/2 hour.

He comes across as a real straight shooter. He's not cheap (all the numbers he gave me match the numbers he gave you), but I got the impression that I could trust him with my engine and we'd both be proud of the end product.

I'm having him hottank and magflux the 352 I just tore down. If the block passes the magflux, then the real fun begins!! I can't wait to talk to Rob and discuss options!!

In short, I could tell Rob loves working on Fords. He really likes his job. He's a lucky duck.

Thanks for writing up your visit, Mike
Go Ford! Spudco

Old 02-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Machine Shop Visit

Hey Spudco:
I am glad to hear that you were able to stop by and see Rob. Man, wouldn't it be cool to be able to do what you love... It sounds like your build is progessing at a quicker rate than mine CONGRATS! Are you thinking about punching up to a 390??? I ran by Checker today and asked for a price on the Edel Performer RPM. An item that would be in their hands in a few daysif necessary, but at a rather steep $304.00. Jegs is looking better, more parts in one order and they send you cool stickers with your order (been there-have the sticker on the window).
Enjoy ( I just cleared some room in the garage-tear down envy...)
--Mike G

Old 02-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Spudco
Senior User
Machine Shop Visit

Hi Mike,

Yes, Rob McQ is lucky. Also, how would you like to have a shop like that at your disposal??!! I'm sure that he has days when he's had enough, but..... he does get to work on very cool engines for living.

As far a the progress on my project, yes I have a good start at it. But the ole budget demon will shortly slow it down. After the block is cleaned and magfluxed, I'll have to cool my jets and let the "big block" money jar fill up again. Things start to get kinda pricey once I know the block is good!!

Yes, I'll bump it up to 390. I don't have a rig to put it in yet, but I know I want a stump-puller. I am not interested in horsepower, I'm a torque fan. There seems to be a lot of potential in the 352 to 390 plan. I'm not attached to the 352 as a piece of history that needs to be preserved. After all, I bought it and an FMX tranny for $15!!

Keep on truckin' Spudco

Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Machine Shop Visit

Spudco:
The budget deal is a stopper, that's for sure. I understand from Rob that the heads on the 352 are a good item, if you wanted to save a few bucks he could probably hot-rod those for you. I did a 390/C6 from the yard for $150 to replace the smoke-screening 352 in my 66 project truck. I preferred to be able to still drive the thing rather than have it without and engine. You never know what stumbling blocks you can run into. I also have a 360 motor which will be the base for the block. It is already at .060 over so it looks promising, the 390 had something go wrong inside. This I will investigate further, soon. Budget performance is key for me, the truck was even cheap.
--Mike G

Old 02-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Spudco
Senior User
Machine Shop Visit

Mike,

With the exception of the block (getting cleaned) I'm still in the scrape, brush, spray, scrape, brush, spray routine on all the parts. The engine is in very good shape with original bearings, nylon timing chain, etc. But I have to get through an inch of carbon, oil and general crud! It looks like this engine was run "to the grocery store and back" and never had the oil changed. So I have a lot of cleaning ahead. Which is good, 'cause it doesn't cost anything to clean!!

I hope to take the heads apart tonight and get a good look at the parts. Then on to the intake manifold. That takes care of the really bad parts.

Once I get these parts cleaned up, I'll have an idea of what I need to pickup at the junkyard. Have you found any favorite junkyards for FE parts?

Spudco

Old 02-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Machine Shop Visit

Hey Spuco:
I did notice on another chain that you brought the block in. Congratulations, your killing me!. The current 352 in my truck was the same way. It became an older farm truck and didn't see too much use. I had pulled the covers and put new valve seals on hoping to stop the smoke screen option, didn't help...

I am taking a run at lunch over to Colorado Auto and Parts. This is the yard I frequent, but then it is about two miles from the office (Hampden and Oxford'ish). I will let you know what is available. Last trip out there was only one FE, probably a 352-2brl 1966 truck. It has actually been there a while. If memory serves, the motor was still pretty much in tact. I have found that most all are missing carbs/distributor/radiators. I think the yard pulls them when they come in and stockpile them out back.

Also had the chance to get to Pull-N-Save. That was early in the design/build stage when I was looking for a complete 390. I recall Chad B has made a few stops. They did have two or three when I was out last but they sported the 360.

More to follow....
--Mike

Old 02-13-2003, 02:31 PM
chadburns
Junior User
Machine Shop Visit

Yep Mike, I frequent Pull-N-Save. Mostly because that is the only place I really know of. I am new to the area and haven't got around much yet. They seem to almost always have at least 2 or three of the old trucks there. That's where I got the 390 I am working on right now. Of course I haven't been in a couple of weeks..too darn cold! If you know of any other yards that are good for these older(67-72) trucks I would love to hear about them.
And Spudco, don't feel bad...I am at the scrape and scrub phase myself. About all I can afford to do so far.

Chad Burns
1968 F-250 390 2v auto
Aurora

Old 02-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Spudco
Senior User
Machine Shop Visit

Hi Mike and Chad,

Major progress today! I got the heads taken apart and cleaned up, oil pan cleaned up, intake manifold degunked (even got that goofy crossover tray off!) and didn't drop any of these parts. You guys know what a triumph that can be!

The last major tasks I have are to clean up the rocker arm assemblies and clean up the valves, springs,keepers, etc. (I'll just set them in the parts tray to soak awhile).

I'm very impressed at what I found in the head today. The valves have no "wiggle", the ports cleaned up very well and the broken bolt came right out. Unless I find a crack in 'em they'll go back in.

I'll let you know next time I head out to the junk yard. I need a carb and starter.

I've been impressed with Svigels (sp?) on south Santa Fe. Don't know about prices, never bought anything there, just looked around for Ch$%^ parts with gear-head buddies.

Spudco

Old 02-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Machine Shop Visit

I hape to be having a little quality motor time soon myself. The new baby (born 12/26) has been keepin me hoping once I get home..

Progess report from Colorado Auto-- There is one 1965 in the yard, motor is complete except for carb. It is the 2-brl variety. My guess would be stock engine. There is one of the headers gone, the other is on the passenger side and wraps the motor mount. There were newer trucks, a few with disk brake set ups. Other than that, no FE goods to be had.

Chad: There is a yard out on East Colfax I have been meaning to get to. I think they will have the older stuff. I am after a front passenger fender and a hood (if cheap).

Enjoy fella's
--Mike G

Old 02-19-2003, 12:46 AM
chadburns2
Freshman User
Machine Shop Visit

Hey guys, don't know if you are still watching this thread or not, but Spud, I got a question for ya. How bad was your block when you took it in? As far as grease and gunk, that is. I want to get mine in soon, but I don't want to bring this grungy thing into Rob and have him give me a dirty look(no pun intended). Got the engine torn down almost completely now. Finally got the cam out. Never did find a #4 phillips screw tip, but the impact driver I bought had a large-enough flat tip to work. All I have to do now is get the lifters out(bad sign, I know) and pull all the freeze plugs. Man, I can't wait for my income tax check to get here so I can go spend some real money! My sister is convinced I am crazy....she keeps telling me.."you are gonna spend $2000 on a motor and you are still gonna have an OLD truck". Guess she just doesn't get it, huh?! Thank God she hasn't seen the mess I am making out in her garage!!!!!!! LOL Oh, hey, what are you using for a good degreaser on your parts? I thought I might just go buy a gallon jug of carb cleaner. Good on grease..nasty on the hands though!! It's pretty cool that there are three of us here in the metro area all doing this at about the same time. We ought to get together some time for coffee. Oh BTW, Congrats on the baby Mike!!!

Chad Burns
1968 F-250 390 2v auto
Aurora

Old 02-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Machine Shop Visit

Hi Chad-Thanks for the congrats!

The fact that a new posting pops up in my regular e-mail alerts me to check out the board.

As far as what you bring over to Rob, I would take the whole thing as is and stick to cleaning parts you are not bringing over. What ever you bring, they will disassemble as necessary before the tanking. Although I did not touch on this with Rob, I have heard of other places being up to cleaning the parts you don't want to do. My plan is to bring the block and heads to him. This will leave me with the bolt-ons to clean up.

I invested in a gallon can of the parts dip when I rebuilt the carb, I would love to have a parts tank with that stuff in it. Also found that brake cleaner or carb cleaner sprays will finish off the job. Plus, the sprays smell better than the dip solvent .

Spudco, keep us updated on the shop, I am interested to find out how it all goes.

Hope to meet up with you guys some day. --MG

Old 02-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Spudco
Senior User
Machine Shop Visit

Hi Guys,

Chad, I use the same "subscribe to this thread" feature that Mike does. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you'll see it in blue letters. Then when someone writes to this thread, you'll get an email from FTE! Pretty cool. I only subscribe to a couple of threads at a time so I don't get bombed with emails.

Mike, I can't believe I didn't congratulate you on your new little one. I thought I'd had fun before we had kids. Now I know what fun is!!

Chad, don't worry about the cleanliness of the block. I scrubbed like a monkey on that thing before I took it to Rob. When I gave it to him he said, "Wow, that's clean!" I scrubbed the whole thing with wire brushes (by hand and cordless drill) with Berryman Parts cleaner from a coffee can. I just dipped and brushed, dipped and brushed. I then went over the whole thing with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. I was going to take it to a car wash, but Rob said, "Don't worry about it".

As for the condition when I got it back, I was glad a wrenchhead friend of mine warned me, "Don't get too excited, they just look like cast iron when they come out of the tank". I'm glad he told me that, 'cause I was ready for that "just hottanked, sandblasted and machined "gotta wear shades" shine". That's not what it looked like. It's very clean. Not shiny and smooth.

The good news is the block magnafluxed fine. It's good to go for up to .060 over. The bad news is it has a lot of taper to the bore. It was worn .009 on top and .005 at the bottom. Rob and Steve Christ's "Big Block" book both say .005 is the upper limit of rebuilding without machining the bore. So.... there goes the faint glimmer of hope I had for putting this all together again at a minimal cost.

So, we'll see how to proceed. None of the options I worked out with Rob are cheap, but I like the way he thinks. I know I could find lots of places that will do the work cheaper than Blue Oval, but I don't think I'd find many that would do it better.

I would like to meet you guys and show you where my project stands. I'm on the South end of Denver (I-25 and Colorado).

Spudco

Old 02-19-2003, 11:47 PM
chadburns2
Freshman User
Machine Shop Visit

Well here's a dumb question for you guys. When I take the block in, what else do I need to take. Main caps? Bolts? Crank? Stripped-down heads? Not too worried about the manifold..."The Plan" is to go with a new Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM. Money is the deciding factor in that one! For now, I just want the block cleaned up and checked out. Spudco, did he charge you for checking your block? If so, how much? Thanks guys. BTW, I am in Aurora, off Havana and Iliff, so anywhere you all want to get together is fine with me. Just let me know when and where. Of course evenings and weekends are best...o.k., they are the only time. Gotta work to pay for this nasty hobby!

Chad
1968 F-250 390 2v auto
Aurora

Old 02-19-2003, 11:47 PM
chadburns2
Freshman User
Machine Shop Visit

Well here's a dumb question for you guys. When I take the block in, what else do I need to take. Main caps? Bolts? Crank? Stripped-down heads? Not too worried about the manifold..."The Plan" is to go with a new Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM. Money is the deciding factor in that one! For now, I just want the block cleaned up and checked out. Spudco, did he charge you for checking your block? If so, how much? Thanks guys. BTW, I am in Aurora, off Havana and Iliff, so anywhere you all want to get together is fine with me. Just let me know when and where. Of course evenings and weekends are best...o.k., they are the only time. Gotta work to pay for this nasty hobby!

Chad
1968 F-250 390 2v auto
Aurora

Quick Reply: Machine Shop Visit