1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Let's talk rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 01:06 PM
svooom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk rear suspension

I'm trying to decide what rear suspension I want to use. I would like to use air bags in the rear so I think that I'm stuck with either a 4 link or ladder bars.

Can anyone offer any advice?

What do you think about a mid 90's Thunderbird independent rear suspension. It almost looks like it will bolt right in. Has anyone ever heard of doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Glackowitz
Senior User
ladder bars are a bolt on, similar to the nice and shiny traction bars, 4 link is a weld on and is available in several styles.

Style 1. 2 bars on each side in a stacked way with a panhard rod to eliminate side to side movement

Style 2 is a triangulated mounting, the lower bars are front to rear as is above while the top bars are on a diagonal to the center of the axle out in a V pattern. usually less to buy, more welding, but less side to side movement.

There are several companies that offer kits
www.ridetech.com has the both with air bags

Glackowitz

Old 12-22-2003, 09:28 PM
1956f100
Senior User
I have the No Limit fat bar 4 link in my 56', its not bagged but I love the ride with the coilovers. The ride is so much smoother and nicer than the leaf springs, plus it sits a lot lower and levels out the truck ( MII susp as well). Also the weight transfer you get with a 4 link is an awesome feeling when you step on the gas at a stoplight.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:04 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Go with the 4-link with coil-overs.

Just my $.02
Daryl

Old 12-23-2003, 08:16 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
ladder or 4 link

4 links look trick and are valuable at the track when dialin'-in the hookup on the rear end... but on the street once set...they are of little more use.

Ladder bars will give you the same ride, same initial adjustment with two less heim joints to wear out and be replaced... the coil over smooth ride is still there with less moving parts = less problems down the road..

for that reason (on the advise of a old time drag race car builder) I went with custom built ladder bars and a shortened rear end for some fatter meats...

here's what mine look like
http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/history/rear1.jpg

john

Old 12-26-2003, 11:49 PM
adilts2002
Junior User
what if you would haul a traylor? you would want leaf springs t prevent so much side play coil overs and alot of side play to them

Old 12-28-2003, 06:27 AM
Hrandy48
Junior User
I was trying to find my source of reference, but no luck yet. Anyway, I read a really good article explaining the difference between 4-bar, 4-link, and ladder bar types. The one real problem with ladder bars for street use is that they tend to bind in un-even terrain, such as driveways. Ladder bars also do not keep the differential pinion angle constant like a 4-bar will. I plan on using a 4-link from Air-Ride Technologies on my '57.

Old 12-31-2003, 10:28 AM
dmoc1
Junior User
I saw a guy at one of the Goodguy events in Pleasanton with a Thunderbird setup in his F100. It looked great and he was very happy with it. Sorry I don't have a name or number.

D

Old 12-31-2003, 10:32 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
There was a guy on here about a year ago, with a 56 that had that t bird setup. He said it was fairly easy to install and It looked trick. Try using the search button and reading some posts from awhile back. -4speed

Old 01-16-2004, 02:01 PM
svooom
Senior User
I'm toying with the idea of fabricating my own 4 link set up and I've got a question.

Most of the kits that you can purcase from places like No Limit and Heidts look like they mount on the outside of the frame rails. Does it create a problem if you mount them on the inside? I would think that you might get a little more sway than you would if they were mounted farther out, but is it significant?

From John's link above, it appears that his Ladder bars mount on the inside and I'm assuming that this is ok?

Thanks for your help

Old 01-16-2004, 02:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Svooom

You might PM Purple55. He fabbed his and it looks very nice. It may be a 3 link though. I forget. Greg has a ton of stock car experience and knows what he's doing. He's brags he's had his butt kicked by many of the top name Nascar drivers of today. Elliott, Allison etc.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks (?) 'fenders.

Svooom, check the pics in my gallery for ideas.I went with the 3 link because I was so familiar with it.Shocks/springs as close to the tire as possible for better ride and handling.Very much adjusability built in.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:21 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Purple

Yes, that was a compliment. Or as close as a guy like you deserves.

Do you have a PIC in your gallery with the sheetmetal off? I thought you did before. Or am I remembering the snapshots you had at the 'nats?

Although I love the trick look of 4 link, I stayed away from a four link because the geometry seems to violate common sense in terms of ride quality only. I know they launch straighter like a ladder bar setup. But I am not experiencing any launch problems with my current drivetrain. The 302 prolly just needs some new spark plugs or sumthin' eh?

Does a 3 link allow the rear wheels to move more independently than a 4 link? As in suspension not fighting the path the wheels need to go on rougher roads. Sorry if my question isn't clear. I'm just not communicating well today.

BTW, just noticed your Borla "speakers" labeling in the gallery. You had me going for a minute. You funny guy LOL.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
'fenders

Haven't taken any pics from my gallery so must have been at the bar/restaurant.

As far as the basic design/geometry of 4 link vs 3 link, its probably more a matter of personal preference than anything.Its just that most 4 link street versions I've seen are set up more for the drag racing than the handling or ride quality.

The "Borla" thing has been in my gallery for about 9 months now.A little slow,are we?Iowa thing?

Speaking of Iowa,I'm gonna be up in your neck of the woods Weds.Flyin to Wis.Truckin from there to S.D. to do some ice fishin with dad and brothers.Aint been too cold,has it?

Greg

P.S.
Don't get me started on your 302! It probably needs 4 more spark plugs.They're 4 cylinders,aren't they.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:57 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Greg

Same here on the 4 links and ladder bars. Most all I have ever ridden in were for the purposes of hooking up only. They are quite efficient at keeping the axle still with a real engine. Ya, like a big block or something. I'm anxious to ride in a few of the forum member trucks someday to see if you can make them ride nice on the street. They look neat, that's for sure.

Regarding the ice fishing weather. Hope you're heading north of my place. The backwaters on the Mississippi are stiff. But it's been warm enough to get out my pressure washer every week or two all winter. Be careful. Course ice fishing is a little like sky diving I suppose. There is never a day when you don't need to be careful. Just booked my annual Minnesota trip last night. Sure hope I actually get to go but it's only a month after the 'nats. I'm still working the details on the wife compensation (extortion) package.

Quick Reply: Let's talk rear suspension