2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating a new 04

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 12:54 AM
ultramax21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debating a new 04

Hey guys I've been a frequent reader of this forum for almost a year now and find it to be very informative. Like some of the older messages about the new 04 f-150 I at first didn't like the overall apperance of the truck, but as time has passed I've grown rather fond of its bold style. My interests about the truck really changed upon a test drive a couple months back, but I'm having a hard time actually pushing myself over the edge to purchase. Currently I own a 2001 superduty Lariat 4x4 which happens to have the v-10. I bought this truck new exactly 3 years ago to the day (today) and since the day I bought it i've been split down the middle if I like it or if I hate it. I like the overall look and ride of the truck, I hate the bulky size of the truck, I like the power of the v-10, I HATE THE GAS MILEAGE, so you can see each pro has it's con. As for the new 04 I've got my eye set on the FX4 package as I'm a rather young guy at 22 and the FX4 seems to be the sportiest package in my eyes (just my opinion). Just a couple days ago I saw the 04 I wanted at my local dealer (Akins Ford) it has 20 inch wheels with 305's, a lift kit ( i think 3 or 4 inches ??) and a couple other bolt on acessories. All told the sticker in the window said it was a little over $5k worth of acessories pushing the sticker price of the truck to $43130 (wow thats high). I forgot to mention that the superduty's biggest pro is that it's paid for with low mileage (12,340 to be exact) and the dealer has offered me right at $22,000 for it. So assuming I could get the above described 04 less than "sticker" I'm guessing with my trade in I could come out paying around $14k or so for the new 04. What I would like for you guys to do is put "put on my shoes" would you do it or not? Would I be wiser to just buy a base model FX4 and have the wheels and lift done myself ( I kinda don't like that idea due to the fact that if the dealer sells it to me already lifted and stuff it shouldn't interfer with the warnnty) but still I would like to hear your opinions. Sorry for being so lengthy but i thought it would be best to give my full situation. Additionally I hope it doesn't offend anyone that I said the superduty was paid for, I'm not trying to brag (it took a lot of hard work to pay it off early).

Thanks for any advice you may share!
ultramax

Old 12-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Carnivore
Senior User
go for it. I took a leap and bought my first ford. I couldn't help myself. Everything about this truck surpassed chevy and dodge and I will never buy an import.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:14 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
ultramax21,

The FX4 package doesn't have any "look" other than the decal.

I believe you are refering to the XLT Sport package that has
two-tone cloth, color-keyed grill and bumper, chrome tube cab steps. Am I correct?

Old 12-22-2003, 12:01 PM
SRAces
Junior User
Thumbs up Congrats On The New Truck

Carnivore,

Congrats on the new 2004 F-150! I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

Happy Holidays all!

SRAces
USAF (ret)

--------------------------------------
2004 F-150 SuperCrew Lariet 4X4 - White/Beige
3.73 LS
Captains chairs w/center shifter
Power moonroof
Power rear slider
Trailer tow package
Black running boards
Catch-All Premium floor mats

Old 12-22-2003, 12:11 PM
bilter
Mountain Pass
If you look at it from a financial standpoint you can buy a lot of gas for your F250 with $14K. Not to mention sales tax, excise tax and increased insurance premiums. Does your 250 not perform to your liking? Is the F150 a truck you just have to own right now? If it were me, I would keep your 250, but I think this is a question that only you can answer.

Bilter

Old 12-22-2003, 12:56 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little confused by your numbers. The new truck stickers for $43,000.00, and they offered you $22,000.00 for yours. That's a difference of approx. $21,000.00 But you think you can get the difference down to $14,000.00. Are you expecting them to discount the new truck by $7,000.00? Or get $29,000.00 for your truck?

As for warranty, just because the dealer modified it DOES NOT guarantee that your warranty will not be voided. If the modifications cause something to go wrong, it voids the warranty for that part- period. The only possible benefit is that the selling dealer may be willing to eat part of the cost of the repair, since they did the mod. But take it anywhere else, and you're on the hook if the mods caused the problem.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:29 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
Thanks for the input guys! 1956markII, I'm only guessing on the numbers, but yes for fact the 04 "stickered" for $43k and they have already offered me $22k for my 250 after I test drove a new f-150 FX4 (not the one that stickered for $43k). On that deal the salesman got the difference down to $9k (that includes the $22k for the 250 + $400 college grad thing + $1000 loyal owner thing) so yes I'm only guessing at the $14k it could be more, I plan on seeing my salesman one day before Christmas. Rest assured I will check into the warranty issue before purchase. I will post after I talk with the salesman to let ya know exactly how it comes out

Bilter, the financial standpoint is exactly where I'm at, sort of like a fork in the road. When looking down one road I see the benefits of just keeping the 250 and just living with the Cons I have for that truck. Down the other road I initally see myself being happier with the new 04 as it's more appealing to me, has a reduced mass and bulk, and I am assuming it would have a much better turning radius. This is a big issue for me as I'm a college student and the 250 isn't parking lot friendly in a town designed for 4 banger rice burners. Another financial issue is the fact that I've got a poultry farm leased and I have to do something with my money or pay out the ying yang in income tax. The 250 is paid for and according to my accountant only has one good year of depreciation left (FY2003) so it's either spend the money on something I want, or give it to Uncle Sam.

Again thanks for the input, and hopefully I'll have more information/actual numbers for you guys in day or so

Ultramax

Old 12-22-2003, 05:26 PM
bilter
Mountain Pass
Well in that case, I'd go for it. Personally I have never been in that position (having to get rid of some $$$$< well maybe once but now the economy in Maine sucks). But your reasoning seems sound. Actually as soon as I find another job I plan on seriously considering the new F150, the one I have now I bought new in '93 and it now has 94k miles.....I think its time.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2003, 09:22 PM
BigSky
Freshman User
Buy more poultry. It's obviously a good investment. I guess college is already paid off? I know that can be a right off if it is a related field. If these ideas don't fit, go for the new truck. I have a degree in Economics, yet, I still make my decisions with the heart rather than my head.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:56 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
Bilter I hope I haven't offended you in any way, I'm not saying i just have tons of money stocked pilled to just throw away. The way the poultry industry is set up puts me in the self employeed category, so I don't pay any tax until the end of the year. In this industry I'm tax exempt from all utilities, but I'm able to depreciate any expense that i incur related to my farm, hence the purchase of a new vehicle. Other wise I will pay almost the same amount of money to the IRS.

Bigsky, I have seriously debated purchasing land instead of a vehicle. I've always been told buying land is (in most cases) better than having money in the bank. However, with my location in Georgia only 30 min. from Atlanta the price of land is very high, small acerage typically goes for $20K+/acre. As for having college paid for, I've very fortunate to live in the state of Georgia where all my college expense has been paid for by the state (HOPE scholarship) so that's not an issue. I graduate in May of 04 and the only expense I've had has been books and gas money to and from school. I will be attending graduate school in the fall and will recieve an assistantship and for the first time in my life i will be paid to go to school ($1000 per month).

Thanks for all your input, I should have more info for you guys in the next couple days about the price of the FX4.

by the way1956markII, the sticker on the FX4 i test drove was $38k

Old 12-23-2003, 01:02 AM
03f150man
Elder User
ultramax, always good to keep an eye on the tax man but dont be too swayed by the tax deductibility considerations. Suppose you have a 03FY deduction of $4000. If you are at 20% tax rate, then that depreciation increased your financial position by about $800 (plug in your actual numbers for a better approximation). Many times small business owners are much better off by thinking about the "cash flow" aspects of a capital asset acquisition. Anyway, the perceived tax benefits from a depreciable asset are often overstated. And if you are ok with the acquicisition, before you buy check out the tax rules for accelerated depreciation on bigger vehicles, such as the hummer h2. Those vehicles allow for some heavily accleated depreciation schedules that may of greater benefit if you expect to have a pretax income position at the end of FY04.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:17 PM
bilter
Mountain Pass
Ultramax,
you in no way offended me. I just was trying to point out that I had a better understanding of your position. Sounds to me like like you have your act together.

Old 12-26-2003, 07:26 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
Hey guys!! Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. So I went to the dealership today about FX4 with 20" wheels with 305's that "stickered" for $43132.62. I had projected it be $14K with my trade in and incentives. I wasn't far off, they got it down to $15K with out much struggle. However, I deal with the owner of the dealership and he advised me NOT to buy the truck. He said he could sense that it was just an impulse buy and that after 90 days I wouldn't be happy with it, and that I would have a cow when it came time to purchase tires for the truck. He did however find a "factory" FX4 ( just 18" wheels and stuff) that was more along the lines that I needed. It stickered for a little over $36K, after talking it over he got it down to $10K. So now the question is, do you think I'm getting a good deal? He figured the pmts to be $300 for 36mo and I'm about 95% sure that includes an extended warranty bc my 250SD has a 6yr/75K mile extended warranty and he said it would cancel it and take that money and put it towards the FX4 extended warranty and it wouldn't change the pmt bc he would make up the difference. So I'm looking for comments, does it sound like a good deal or no?

Thanks,
Ultramaxer

Old 12-26-2003, 09:10 PM
BigSky
Freshman User
I like to deal on the truck first and then talk about my trade in. Are you saying you are buying it at $32,000 with an extended warranty (better find out which extended warranty) and he is still giving you $22,000 for your F250? What is on this FX4?

Old 12-27-2003, 12:23 AM
ultramax21
Senior User
Maybe I can explain better. Back at my original post I am refering to an FX4 which has recieved aftermarket mod's by the dealer. Those mods are 20"wheels with 305 tires, a lift kit, some kind of brush guard and PIAA fog lights. The original MSRP for that truck was $37250, but with the added mod's its sticker price went to $43130.

My 2001 F-250 is paid for. It has a 6yr/75K mile extended warranty. According to kbb.com trade in value for my truck is $21500, but the owner has agreed to give $22000.

After talking with the owner of the dealership today, he got the above mentioned 2004 FX4 down to $15k(that includes tax,title,tag,doc fees, and warranty) by subtracting my trade in + $1000 rebate for being a loyal owner + $400 for being a college graduate. Additionaly, when I mentioned the extended warranty on MY f-250, he said that I would pretty much get all the money back for that warranty ( it cost me right under $1000 when i bought the truck) ,and that he would take that money and apply it towards a new extended warranty on the 2004 FX4. The difference he said wouldn't be that much and he would take care of it.

However, by being friends with the owner he advised me NOT to buy the above described FX4 bc it wasn't practical and after a few months I wouldn't be happy with the truck and that I would have a cow when i realized how much those 305 X 20" tires cost.

So we looked on the lot and found another FX4 which didn't have any mod's. It did have 18" wheels, leather seats, flow through console etc pushing its MSRP to $36175. Again subtracting my trade in and rebates from the so called invoice we got down to $10175 (includes tax, title doc fees etc along with warranty). Pmts were calculated to be $300 for 36mo.

Maybe that better explains things. But again, I can get the modified FX4 for $15k or just the plain FX4 for $10k. My family has always felt like we've gotten good deals from this dealership, but I would just like to see what others think.

I know you guys by now must hate my extremely long posts, SORRY!!

Ultramax