Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 3.8 & 4.2L V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2003, 03:33 PM
New User

SDDADD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thrust Bearing Replacement

I BOUGHT A 2000 E 150 TWO MONTHS AGO WITH 59,000 MILES.
WARRANTY WAS UP TUESDAY... THE ENGINE STARTED MAKING NOISE THURSDAY AM. I FOUND OUT I HAVE A BAD THRUST BEARING. I HAVEN'T BEEN BACK TO THE DEALER YET BUT WANT TO KNOW ALL I CAN BEFORE I GO IF THIS IS A FORD CONCERN. WHAT CAUSED IT AND CAN IT BE FIXED WITHOUT A NEW CAMSHAFT OR ENGINE.
ANY HELP OUT THERE?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Senior User

MJEmerson is starting off with a positive reputation.
thrust bearing keeps the cam shaft in place and from moving front to back. the bearing itself can be replaced often without having the even take the cam out. Should not have to replace the cam unless the problem was let go long enough to damage it. but fix it asap.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:24 AM
New User

SDDADD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I hope you are right.... I probably drove it a couple hundred miles after I started hearing the noises of the bolts hitting the rear of the engine.... I hope to get it fixed after the new year. It is parked for now. Thank you for your reply.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Senior User

flyhound is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cam shaft or Crankshaft? Don't you mean crank?
Old 12-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Elder User

travlnman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm no mechanic, but I'm not aware of the crank having a thrust bearing. It is held in place by the main bearing caps and the bearings themselves. The cam on most Ford's have a small bearing or "thrust plate" that keeps the cam from walking back and forth in the block, as the cam bearings are not held down by bolts or caps. The only exception would be in an overhead cam engine, or maybe I'm just crazy.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:46 PM