problems with a4ld transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 07:50 AM
racingdeathwish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with a4ld transmission

i have a 1992 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 engin with a4ld auto transmission the problem started about 4 months ago when i changed the trans fluid and filter the truck would drive fine when warm but when the truck was cold and you put it in gear it would move 10 or 15 foot and than it would stop moveing for a few seconds almost like it was not pumping fluid and than it would engage and move fine and than do the samething over again until it warmed up a bit than it would run great yesterday 12-16-03 the truck was started to go to work and warmed up when i was ready to go the truck backed out of the drive went down the street about 3 blocks and did its deal with not moveing about 5 foot from a stop light when the light turned green it drove about 30 foot and the truck wont move anymore in any gear it starts revs but dont move it made no sound before it stoped moveing it does no leak any fluid and everything is topped of fluid wise the linkage moves when shifted cable is fine but wont move

help Thanks rick

Old 12-18-2003, 10:24 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm, sometimes when we install the filter , it doesn't get put in correctly.

I don't know your model but there are two methods of installation in general, and if you goof, you can suck air and cause all kinds of problems depending on how much air and how long.

One method is a screw in/bolted filter. When you install one of these, you need to use a torque rench and use the correct torque, usually in in inch pound range, check manuals. I am not sure if a thread sealer is required. I never used any and had no problem.

The other method is where the filter is a press fit into a hole with an O ring. Many of these are actually harder to install correctly than you would think. They push in and then kind of snap in place. Also often the old O ring is damaged during removeal and or should be routinely replaced.

The other possibility is that your tranny never had a fluid change and the new fluid cleaned out the gunk that held it together. The consensus of this web page seem to be that it is a crap shoot whether the tranny works Ok after the change or not, all depends on how badly gunked up things were.

I would drop the pan and check for proper mounting of the filter. Also check for color and smell.

If the filter was loose then that was your problem and the question would be, what was damaged? If it wasn't the filter then you need more diagnosis than I can give without knowing more details.

Also of course I assume all shift linkages and electrical plugs are in place.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 12-18-2003, 01:19 PM
racingdeathwish
New User
jim

its bin a wile 4 months sence i installed the filter i do beleve it was the standard o ring type with (2) 10mm bolts that held it there... it was working until tuesday when it stoped moveing when you put it in gear it dont jerk bang on anything its like the pump is out but i have bin told pumps dont go out often ???

Old 12-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Opera House Works
Elder User
The A4LD has two O rings

and one bolt. Some of the newer filters require a shorter bolt or spacer because it will bottom out before it tightens the filter up. You would be far from the first to have either of these problems. Just how much sediment was in the pan determines the probability of valve body problems after a fluid change. An O ring could have also snapped. Everyone always thinks they did it right. I would drop the pan. Most times the pan gasket can be reused.

Before anything, see if the vehicle operates in D instead of OD. Tou may have a problem unrelated to the fluid change.

Old 12-19-2003, 08:34 AM
racingdeathwish
New User
a4ld

before i changed the fluid there was little to none the filter seemed clean as well but who knows when it was changed before i got it the truck wont move in any gear the old fluid was dirty looked well used but no shaveings lets all keep in mind THE FILTER AND FLUID WAS CHANGED 4 MONTHS BEFORE THIS ALL STARTED WITH NOT MOVEING

Old 12-19-2003, 10:23 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might be the torque on the bolts was inadequate. Even with some O ring models the bolts need to be correctly torqued to prevent loosening under vibration. Vehicles are nasty vibration environments.

It might be that over the past few months the bolts worked loose and the O ring seal slowly let go. This would be the "good" scenario, ie just a loose filter.

The alternative is that the new fluid cleaned things out over time and something got some dirt in it or it finally let go someplace inside. This would be the bad scenario.

With your model year, I would guess you have a fair amount of miles and either you were due for a rebuild or the clean fluid worked too well, new fluid on old trannies is a crapshoot.

I would drop the pan and inspect. If you don't want to spend $ for new fluid you should use a clean drain pan and and wipe off al dirt from the tranny pan before draining. You could reuse the fluid if you filter it for any sediment. Personally I would use new fluid but since your tranny may be dead, it may not matter.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson