Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Scraping sound from wipers mechanics at '93 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 01:52 AM
Jet Lizard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scraping sound from wipers mechanics at '93 Explorer

Several days ago I noticed strange scraping sound while windshield wipers are moving. Checked the source of the sound, it seems it goes from under the panel where located washer nozzles (sorry, don't know the exact tech term). I can see through panel openings the moving parts of wipers mechanics, they are the source of the sound.

Should note that wipers work OK at all modes (fast, intermittent, etc). Maybe they go up little faster than down (while car is not moving, so there's no wind that blows on wipers), but that's only abnormal issue except the sound.

So it looks like wipers mechanism is acting up. What do you think, is that possible to fix it somehow? Or I should plan its replacement soon? Maybe it just requires putting some greeze? Or just to replace some plastic bushing?

Thanks for any ideas,
With best regards,
Yuri

P.S. For my previous BMW (3-er, E36), the same problem was pretty expensive, at last wipers mechanics (trapezium shaped assembly) has broken apart. It was 200+ USD not including labor. Hope that Ford parts are not so expensive ;-)