2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Ford's tow ratings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 03:12 PM
dbossman
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Re: Max towing is only 1 dimension to look at...

Originally posted by 95CobraR
BTW, I will be glad to tow the Boss for you which will allow you an added margin of safety.
95CobraR, How did you get approval for so many toys? I'd love to have a Cobra R (95 or 2000), and a 65/66 setup for vintage road racing.

You gonna take either of the Mustangs to Nashville next April? I'll be there with my Boss for the open track events.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:15 PM
51F3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck is "capable" of towing that max weight. Doesn't mean you should use it, to tow that weight everyday!

Whenever buying a truck...ALWAYS buy bigger than you need or will ever need! It's a marketing ploy that experienced truck buyers and operators know all about. Looks good in commercials, that's it.

Around our area, The "Boys" have their Dodge Cummins diesel pickups, with loud exhaust, pulling more weight (hay rolls) than what they should. Always bragging at the local gedunk gas station about what a tough truck is.......

That is until they have to stop or make a panic stop because some blue hair has pulled out in front of them. Then they find out how crappy the brakes are and how over-loaded they are.....especially for a pickup, regardless if it is a 250 or 350.
If the truck you buy is going to work, then buy a work truck, if you want a toy, then the sky is the limit and around each corner will be the next baddest toy on the block.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:34 PM
MrFred
Junior User
Ok, you guys wins I won't buy either a F150 or a Expy I will buy an F350 with the biggest deisel engine and then I will forget my question about tow ratings!! (just kidding)
Fred

Old 01-03-2004, 04:35 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Re: Re: Re: Max towing is only 1 dimension to look at...

Originally posted by dbossman

You gonna take either of the Mustangs to Nashville next April? I'll be there with my Boss for the open track events.
dbossman,
I'll be there. I was at the 30th and 35th. I didn't get an invitation to the Sat. vintage race but am signed up for the O/T in a Cobra. Car wears the #2. It should be a great weekend! What color is your Boss? I'll look for you.

MrFred--Sorry to get your thread off topic, but several others have made some great points in my opinion. I have also seen some bad tow accidents. I think it is very important to use a margin of safety when pulling 5-8 tons down the road in a heavy storm with 18-wheelers blowing past you and the wind trying to push your trailer off the road. Be safe, not sorry.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:55 AM
MrFred
Junior User
It's interesting to me that I have yet to mention what exactly I would be towing. Part of my reason for asking the question was to insure that I WOULD have OVERCAPCITY when towing. So without knowing WHAT I would be towing (MAYBE it's a small boat under 3500 llbs) it's assumed that I would try to tow something close to my limit. I would agree that some good points have been made, however how why Ford subtracts 1500lbs for a shorter wheelbase remains a mystery to me. It would be refreshing to not be lectured about towing when only a simple question about Ford's ratings is asked.

Fred

Last edited by MrFred; 01-03-2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:27 AM
51F3
Junior User
Not trying to lecture MrFred. Answers are not always that simple in terms of yes & no. There is a reason behind the change in towing capacity. Someone gave a good opinion on that. Shorter wheelbase versus a longer one. I will agree with that opinion. Why? I can't give you Ford's reasoning, but I certainly tried to explain a few of my reasons why they did it.

If the Ford dealer cannot give you the right answer, then go to another one, who specializes in Ford TRUCKS. Not glorified suv's and wannabees trucks.

I wasn't try to be a horses but with you, just trying to let you know what I have observed over years of watching, listening and seeing the light truck market, decide which way it wants to go.

Old 01-03-2004, 04:13 PM
dbossman
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't get too out of shape on the towing related comments. Certainly there is a fine line between offering advice and lecturing, but none of it seems to be anything less than well intentioned.

I think your questions have been reasonably answered. When comparing trucks within the F150 line, it is likely that the shorter wheelbase IS the primary reason for the difference in tow ratings.

The 1400 or 1500 lb difference (4x2 or 4x4) may be a couple hundred out of line, based on comparisons to other F150's, but it doesn't seem outrageous to me. And, as I mentioned earler, don't compare the F150 to the Expy b/c its tow ratings are very misleading.

95CobraR: I was at the 30th and 35th as well. I love those superspeedway events. My Boss is Grabber Blue.

Old 01-04-2004, 12:03 AM
ck1404
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree - don't get too out of line here. If you are down to figuring a few hundred pounds in terms of maximum towing, you might not should be looking at a F-150. I have been there and done that - a 3/4 ton truck is the one meant for towing. These specs that the manufacturers try to float around with their half-ton trucks are hard to understand. I think lately Ford is playing a game with Nissan. Doesn't matter - if you need to tow much of a load and I would qualify that as 500 pound tongue weight and 3,500 pounds of boat - in my case. The half-ton will do it, the three-quarter ton will do it much more easily with a lot less strain. I hate to see folks trying to find a vehicle that hits the high end of things they want to do. Go for more truck than you think you'll need and you'll be happier in the long-run. It might turn into one of those trucks that last forever - I have one.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:12 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Originally posted by MrFred
It would be refreshing to not be lectured about towing when only a simple question about Ford's ratings is asked.

Fred

Sorry Fred, just trying to help.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Duderoy
Tuned
I think these towing numbers are all based on weights that are dependant on the truck to stop. If your trailer is big enough to haul near 10K then it will have it's own brakes. Geese everbody is so scared of the GCWR. Our comp. truck is a 75' F150 and we pull a 32' gooseneck rated for 21K. I don't even give it a second thought to load it to 24K. Get either one and you will be more than fine MrFred.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
New User
Old 01-06-2004, 10:15 PM
cubman61
Senior User
Just a courious thought what was the gear ratio's between the two trucks. where they the same ?