lot's of faith

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Ranger FX4 Type 2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lot's of faith

Hello FTE - this is my first posting

I purchased an FX4 Type II from the local dealer where my cousin works. Ordered the truck on Nov 18th with a $1000 deposit. I was introduced to the owner who spoke with me for a few minutes and after determining I was genuine and knew what I wanted (thanks ford.com) took me into the showroom to be handled by an experienced Ford salesman. Now the salesman was selling which was sort of waste of time since I was not shopping but buying. The owner came back after a few minutes sat down and continued to be impressed by my knowledge of what was available and what I wanted. Since I was torn between a loaded FX4 and the Type II I hoped for some 'local Ford' knowledge. This was not happening and although I had not yet visited this or any of the other Ford Truck or Ranger websites I knew what I wanted from what was available out of the brochures and off the Ford web site. After a few soul and pocket book searching moments I decided on the Type II. According to the dealer leather and the more powerful stereo could be ordered along with only three or so other options (ashtray, tow hitch, auto trans, and I passed on the bed liner)
The salesman told me to call back in two weeks and he would have more information for me. I waited the two weeks and at that time he provided me a VIN # and a build date of DEC 8th.

Now, for what I consider the gray areas in the deal.

I live in NJ and was really hoping for a Ranger built in Edison with the nice sticker on the windshield proclaiming proudly built in New Jersey. Most every Ranger around here has been built at that plant. According to the VIN and info I gained off The Ranger Station the truck will be made at the Twin Cities plant. OK - I can live with that especially since the people in Edison already know that their facility will soon be closed (not so good for employee moral) Next I see from this site that Ford closes for the holidays around now, so I wonder if my Ranger will get out of MN this year or not. When I ordered the truck the sales guy told me it would take 6-8 weeks which by the way he made the delivery sounded pretty canned and not really specific to my vehicle request or order. I stopped there yesterday to ask if any more details were available and if they could provide me some documentation to get my insurance process going. If you don't know auto insurance in NJ is out of this world and takes two weeks to acquire if you do not have any to start with. Now I do not want to wait an additional two weeks to use the truck after delivery and can not even take it off the lot with out insurance.

The sales guy could give me no additional information, could not confirm the stereo and leather upgrades and now tells me the truck will probably not arrive until the second week in January. This is compounded by the fact that I still do not know how much I am paying for the vehicle. I had never heard of A or X pricing until I visited this site. Seems to me at the least the X pricing would apply as my cousin works for the dealer and not Ford directly. No one has ever given me a PIN or asked any thing beyond my address and phone numbers. I do not want to look a gift horse in the mouth and my cousin did me right by introducing me to the owner in the first place, but come on we are talking over 25 grand here. Should I be more forceful in my requests? Does the dealer really not have the ability to tell me how much the truck will cost until it arrives? I have a credit card receipt for the $1000 dollars but nothing else. What happens if the truck does not come in the way that I ordered it? Do I still have to take the truck? Any advise or comments are welcome.

Cheers, Neil
PS - this is a great website - funny and informative

Old 12-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only one suggestion.
Go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb, before you leave the lot or even before you sign the BoS.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:40 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
You are buying a truck without knowing how much it will cost???

Old 12-18-2003, 06:11 AM
christop43
Posting Guru
Let me get this straight, you ordered a truck, but you have no clue about the price, or if you will get the leather? Sounds like the wool has been pulled over you eyes. I am sure there is a car buyer’s book for dummies (no slam intended).

I would also be livid if I paid close to $25,000 for a Ranger. You need to inform yourself and talk to your salesman if it isn't too late.

Last edited by christop43; 12-18-2003 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:45 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to check with another local dealer. If you don't work for a company that supplies parts to Ford, or buys a lot of vehicles from them, then you don't qualify for X-Plan pricing. Beyond that, there is NO REASON IN THE WORLD why they can't tell you RIGHT NOW how much that truck is going to cost. If they can't give you an exact price by the end of today, then cancel your credit card deposit and buy elsewhere. You're being taken for a ride, pure and simple.

Old 12-19-2003, 02:37 AM
B C fx4 Level II
Senior User
Everytime I take my 03 Ranger Fx4 Level II into my dealer for service, I kill a hour playing with the 04 Ranger's he has on the lot..he had 5 of the Fx4 Level II on the lot. The Ford Dealer down the street from my house has 3 of the FX4 Level II on the lot. ( you notice these things when you buy one.)
Why would you order one and wait for so long, when you could be driving one within hours?...Find a dealership that is interested in one thing..Being the No.1 seller in that Area...
Someone told me that the dealer starts paying interest on the new vehicles as soon as he takes delivery from the factory...
So most of the high volume dealers are very eager to get those interest burners off the lot as soon as they can..

Old 12-19-2003, 05:44 AM
Ranger FX4 Type 2
Freshman User
Unhappy thanks for your replies

OK - I knew this was too good to be true.

I still do not understand the X-Plan pricing.
In 1956MarkII's reply X-Plan is a link to Ford Direct.
I placed the details on what I am looking for in the Ranger and submitted using my office address. The program took most of the vehicle details and provided them to the dealer closest to my office address. Lets see what they come back with. Regarding buying the truck off a lot - none will have the leather or upgraded stereo as they have just become available. Since there are so few options available in the Type 2 I could find the correct color and make due without the leather adding an aftermarket stereo. There happen to be 2 Sonic Blue units not more than 15 miles from my home (again thank you Ford.com)

All I can say is the dealer (owner) told me I was getting the truck at the "family" rate. I am in sales and have bought half a dozen new vehicles in the past 15 years. Driving over 50K miles per year you tend to use them up rather fast. This truck is being ordered as a second vehicle, sort of a big toy for an over grown boy. How much I pay for it certainly is important, and the MSRP for a TYPE 2 without the leather or stereo upgrade is over 27K. That said the cost of similary equiped F150 would be about 10K more. Neither small change. I presumed that 'family' price would be at or less than inv**ce price off the Ford.com site - saving of over 3K from MSRP. The salesperson tells me they do not know how much the vehicle will cost until it arrives. Not sure how this can be, but that is what he told me. I guess that most vehicles final price is effected by equipment packages and individual specific equipment ordered with the vehicle.

I also notice that on the Rangers they give $675 discount for the A/C and usually but not alwys a $1000 discount for 4x4 and 4 door rangers. This $1000 makes a big difference on the final 'sticker' price on the truck and I have seen them with it and without it included. Ford also seems to give a discount for stepside on some Rangers, but not all. The starting price of the trucks also seems to vary since you can find a 4x4 with 4 doors without the $1000 discount and compare it to the sticker for one with the discount and there is not a $1000 differnce in the final price. This is for exactly the same optioned truck from the same plant, just built at different times. This can make your vehicle choice very difficult when you walk around a dealer lot with dozens of like trucks all with slightly different sticker prices.

Well you never get something for nothing, that is a fact!
I am most disappointed in not getting the truck before the end of the year, and unless I go to another dealer who has the truck on their lot that is not going to happen. I hate to think I am being jerked around here - that is not how I treated the dealer or the salesperson. AMEX will cover me on the deposit return, of that I am sure. Since they never gave me any detailed receipt or report on what was specifically ordered for my deposit, return of the funds should go without incident.

I could be back to square one for 2004!!
I will keep you all informed how this works out in the end.
Again thanks for your comments. Regards, Neil

Last edited by Ranger FX4 Type 2; 12-19-2003 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Ranger FX4 Type 2
Freshman User
Wink having faith sometimes pays off

Just picked up my new 2004 Ranger.
Everything I ordered was in the vehicle.
Got D Plan pricing + the current rebate.
Dealer did throw some curve ***** (doc fee + reg fee + window eching) but I will bring these up Friday when we discuss the ESP.

It's pouring raining out but full light of day.
Truck looks good, ride is tight and nothing seems out of order.
Nice to have a clear view down the road as my company cars for the past 13 years have been Ford Taurus or Honda Accord.
Looking forward to 4 wheel drive and a trip to Vermont this weekend.

My first truck and I know it's a good one.

Cheers.

Old 12-25-2003, 10:24 AM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Congrats ont eh enw truck, trust me you will enjoy it.