Burn't smell and visible droppings

Old 12-16-2003, 04:09 PM
1SG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burn't smell and visible droppings

Ok, got a known issue with overheating and the engine, so I'm on my way back to work after picking up a new Thermostat and at a stop I smell the Tranny Oil burn, Hmmmm I pull into the parking lot and notice some droppings hitting an exhaust crossover that is just below the bell housing, Hmmm Is the tranny hot and burning or do i have a leak and because it is hitting the exhaust crossover is why I smell the burn scent???

Also would a bad thermostat cause me to have issues with the tranny that have a endstate of BUSTED SEAL???

Let me add one more problem to this, I am also in the process of finishing 4 wheel brake job, I did the rear ones first, thinking my Anti Lock lite will stop flashing and was going to do the front one this weekend. Does the Antilock have any play with the Trans and could this be a part of the issue.

The Tranny is a E40D, atttached to a 10.25 Ford Rear End, 7.3 Diesel.

Also am in need of Tranny Diagram, the manual tells me to check few areas for leaks, but has not a picture for the E4OD.

What a Day, but I made it home.

Old 12-16-2003, 07:28 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
your front seal or your torque convertor is leaking

Old 12-16-2003, 08:27 PM
1SG
Senior User
Yeah, I was hoping maybe it was just a one time thing. Gonna replace the Thermostat tommorow and clean up down under, check fluids and test drive some. %@%$%^$&& broke at a bad time, gotta pull the tranny all the way out don't I ???

You think the overheating engine caused this, and is the burning simply the fluid on the Exhaust Crossover, or is there more to the burning smell?????

Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
the exhaust is just making it do that. i know how it is i got fluid all over my pipes last week smoked for 1 day. overheating engine should not do that. maybe it is just needing one

Old 12-17-2003, 04:27 PM
1SG
Senior User
Question

What about the refill/check tube. When I did a valve job I messed up and did not put the bracket that holds it in place on the back side of the head. Could it have loosened up enough at the bottom and hence cause a leak????

Search this Thread