2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedliner and cover help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 05:46 PM
lamennais
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bedliner and cover help please

I just ordered a 2004 flareside FX-150. This will be my first pick-up and I don't know what to do about a bedliner and cover. I am amazed at the wealth of information and experience all of the contributors have and I would greatly appreciate some guidance. I live on Cape Cod Massachusetts so there is a good amount of snow and tons of sand during the summer. THANK YOU!

Old 02-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Harrski
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Line-X liner in my 04 150 lariat Supercrew and it is great. I think the spray on liners a alot better that the plastic drop ins. I had a plastic drop in liner in a F350 when I lived in Maine. Water was able to get underneath and rust out the bed. As for covers get something solid that locks. The snap on soft tops don't provide and security for items in the bed and will not support the weight of a heavy overnight snowfall. I had one of these on the F350 also.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:49 PM
grayflare
Junior User
If you want a drop-in Ford makes a good one for the flareside. If you want a sprayin, there are a lot to choose from. Most of the people seem to prefer the Line-X. As far as a cover I would prefer a hard cover that will lock or a retractable one that locks.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:29 PM
HankB
New User
Originally posted by grayflare
Most of the people seem to prefer the Line-X.
If you do decide to go with a spray in (which I prefer and recommend) look at the kind of job that the local shops do. Around here (far western Chicago 'burbs) the guy that does the Rhino liners puts in at least double the material that the Line-X shop uses (even though both are spec'ed for the same thickness.) So I would go with Rhino but things may be different where you live.

Old 02-20-2004, 04:00 PM
some_cow
New User
Upon purchasing vehicle I got a free bed liner. Works great and looks cool with the Ford Logo. I'm statisfied.

Old 02-20-2004, 04:43 PM
"mad"
Junior User
Line-X is what i am going with in the near future.

I had one on a previous truck and these things are indestructible. I watched a exhibition which a man took a torch to the line-x and the metal below melted before the liner did.

Anyway, if I could justify another $500 to my wife for my truck 2 weeks after spending 32,000, I would be able to write a book on how to deal with women, but since I cannot, I will have to wait a couple of months to do my liner.

Mad

Old 02-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Lite-Wallet
Freshman User
I have experience with the following:

Bed-liners:
plastic drop-in - didn't like it...to slick (but it was free from Ford)
Line-X - great and probably the best for your needs (salt/sand)
BegRug - I like it the best, but then I don't have the sand and I've only had it for one week.

Tonneau Covers:
Vinyl SNAP - these suck - hard to impossible to snap in cold weather
Fiberglass - look good and great for some, but severely limit your ability to haul tall loads - need two (or more) people to remove
Perragon Folding - very complicated and "flimsy"
Truxedo - liked it, but complicated to install
Extang RT - like it, but only have one week with so far...

My advice is to go with Line-X. Rhino is rubber so sand could become a problem... I like the vinyl tonneau covers (the good ones have a lifetime warranty). Again, due to sand, I'd be careful of the roll-top bed covers as sand and gears don't get along. You may want to look into a folding cover (not the Perragon) similar to the Explorer Sport Track.

It's been years since I've been out on the Cape. Miss it! Bes tof luck!

Old 02-21-2004, 06:10 PM
justsomeguy3116
New User
Ford bedliner

I got a free one from Ford and it has workes well. If you do alot of hauling a Line-X or Rhino might be worth the extra cash, but the Ford now has sand (grit?) in the bottom of the liner so it isn't too slick. Also thicker than most, hard to cut through.

I actually found a Rhino to be too hard to slide stuff on, who wants to lift and carry everything to the back of the bed?

Old 02-22-2004, 06:15 AM
Zaka zimm
New User
Put your money in the cover and not the liner!!!!! if your just a weekend hauler and use you truck for lite duty get a hard cover and a incert liner. The cover is some times hard to work around but you can't beat the sacurity. It also keeps all weather out and you doen't have to fight with the soft cover in the cold to get it back on. I keep small hunks of rope just inside the tail gate to hook to thing that might slide. This helps also, is a pice of indoor outdoor carpet over the liner is easer on the knees if you need to get to the front of your bed. As you can read not much gets put in the back of my truck, but what I do put back there is safe and no need to make a trip home to drop things off or put it up front and trash a seat or the carpet

Last edited by Zaka zimm; 02-22-2004 at 07:10 AM.