1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 12:34 PM
lfs727
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake controller

Looking for a electric brake controller that is easy to mount and wire. I understand that the trucks already have some type of receptacle or harness for the controller. Any reccommendations for controllers?

Thanks
Lee

Old 11-19-2002, 01:23 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Brake controller

ifs727, I use a Draw Tite controller. It was around $75. I mounted mine with velcro in the shelf to the left of the pull out cup holder. I just had to punch a 3/8" hole in the back of the shelf for the wires and hooked straight into the trailer tow harness under the dash. I know there are other makes out there, but I have had very good luck with the Draw Tite. I think mine controls up to three axles. And also, the Draw Tite seems to be a little smaller than some others I have seen...thus making mounting easier in various locations. Hope this helps

Old 11-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Brake controller

Tekonsha also makes a pretty good controller. I believe that's what mine is but it's been so long since I've used it I don't remember.

The truck does come with a handy little wiring harness to make the connection easy. I connected my controller the the harness, but I haven't mounted it to the truck yet. I like the idea of easy installion/removal rather than a permanent mount. Velcro might be the answer.

Waxy

Old 11-19-2002, 02:16 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Brake controller

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Nov-02 AT 03:19 PM (EST)]>Tekonsha also makes a pretty good controller. I believe
>that's what mine is but it's been so long since I've used it
>I don't remember.
>
>The truck does come with a handy little wiring harness to
>make the connection easy. I connected my controller the the
>harness, but I haven't mounted it to the truck yet. I like
>the idea of easy installion/removal rather than a permanent
>mount. Velcro might be the answer.
>
>Waxy

Waxy, I used the heavy duty???velcro...I guess that just means the pieces are bigger, it grips very well. You just have to "pinch" the slide bar instead up using just your finger to control it. Then if you want to remove it some day, you don't have any mounting bracket holes to worry about. BTW Tekonsha does make a GOOD controller. I know many who use them. Guess it is just a matter of preference.

Old 11-19-2002, 02:32 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Brake controller

Did you glue the velcro to your dash? If so, what type of glue did you use? I was concerned about being able to get it off and that it might ruin the finish of the dash.

Waxy

Old 11-19-2002, 03:30 PM
lfs727
New User
Brake controller

The Technosha or however you spell it has a bunch of different models. I really cant tell the difference and was wondering if you knew which you had.
thanks

lee

Old 11-19-2002, 03:40 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Brake controller

I can check the model number tonight, but it's about 10 years old so it probably wouldn't do you much good.

My motto is you get what you pay for, to a point. Decide what you need the controller to do, how much you'll use it, etc..., and then look at the features of the various models and decide which suits you best. Look for one that has some adjustability in the timing and firmness of the trailer brake application and is capable of operating a trailer with the weight and number of axles that you require. An RV or trailer dealer may be of some use to you, but avoid the upsell if you can.

Waxy

Old 11-19-2002, 04:49 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Brake controller

>Did you glue the velcro to your dash? If so, what type of
>glue did you use? I was concerned about being able to get
>it off and that it might ruin the finish of the dash.
>
>Waxy

The velcro I bought was self adhesive. I know mineral spirits will take off the glue. I would also bet if you try to remove it from any dyed panels, it will also take off the dye. I did remove the velcro from the bottom of my controller to replace it with a bigger piece for the new truck....and the mineral spirits took off the glue with no problem....I just know it will take off the color on the dash board. I guess, that if you are going the velcro route, just mount it in a spot where when you do remove the unit, it won't hurt to just leave the velcro there. Or, look for a dash mounting screw or bolt below and mount it on a bracket if it is not too inconvenient. I just like mind close to my hand in case I want to control maually.

Old 11-19-2002, 04:52 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Brake controller

>The Technosha or however you spell it has a bunch of
>different models. I really cant tell the difference and was
>wondering if you knew which you had.
>thanks
>
>lee

When checking model numbers, make sure it is capable of handling your particular brake set up....number of axles that have brakes...etc. That is the most important, though they may have different features that you may or may not need/want from model to model. Check out which one you think would work the best and post here. Somebody will recognize it and give you feedback

Old 11-19-2002, 05:56 PM
infinity
New User
Brake controller

My $.02 is the Technosha Prodigy. I have used alot of different ones and this is the cats behind. Self leveling. You can move it from one truck to another in about 30 seconds. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:09 PM
bcs
Freshman User
Brake controller

I love my TEKONSHA PRODIGY, best controller I have ever had. I got it and the adapter cable from Camping World. The adapter cable, one end plugs into the controller and the other into the truck. I removed the lower panel (below radio)of the dash, cut a few small holes in the little cubby, for screws and cable, and installed the controller there. In this position it is easy to actuate manually, when I want.

[http://www.tekonsha.com/frproducts.html]
[http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptID=5&subOf=234,37&skunum=20535]

Old 11-20-2002, 12:07 AM
V10gunner
Senior User
Brake controller

The Tekonsha Prodigy is the Cadillac of brake controllers. I recently replaced my Tekonsha Voyager with the Prodigy and the difference is night and day. Tekonsha also has an accessory harness that plugs directly into the Ford plug so you do not have to splice any wires. The mount that comes with it is very nice- it holds the unit high and tight to the dash, and you can remove the brake unit very easily.

This gizmo is just too cool and really works well!

-V10gunner

'00 SD F250 Super Cab XLT, 4X2, 142"WB, 6.8L V10, 4R100, 4.30LS, LT265 tire upgrade, Camper package, Dark Toreador red over silver, Line-X, Husky mud flaps, Snugtop Xtra Vision cab-high shell, AutoMeter tranny temp gauge, Banks Stinger and TransCommand, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, Bilstein shocks
Nash 22H TT

Old 11-20-2002, 09:22 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
Brake controller

Mine is a Tekonsha Voyager. I haven't had any problems with it and it works real well. But, like I said, it's 10 years old, so the new Prodigy that others have suggested is probably the way to go

Waxy

Old 11-22-2002, 07:37 AM
rabidsnowmobiler
Junior User
Brake controller

If you are considering purchasing a Tekonsha Prodigy, there are 4 of them on ebay right now, new in the box. I just purchased one on Tuesday for a "But It Now" price of $99, plus $5 shipping. Just got it yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but $104 total was at least $30 cheaper than I could find anywhere else.

Eric

2002 F-250 Supercab shortbox, BFT package, 4X4 off-road, V10, 3.73LS, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, 285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueller AT's, 40 series flowmaster, K&N air filter, Berlin hydraulic assist soft tonneau cover, Ford mud flaps, bug shield, and bed mat

Old 11-22-2002, 11:59 AM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Brake controller

I love the Prodigy! I used 3M Automotive Double Sided tape (from Walmart) to mount it to the recessed area under the cubby hole in the dash. It has stayed stuck through the hottest, part of the Illinois summer so I think it will stay. I had velcro on it at first, but the glue didn't hold on the velcro.

The cheapest place I found to get it was (If you can't get one on ebay): http://www.brakecontroller.com/

And, they have free second day air shipping!

Matt

2002, F250 SD, SC, 8' Bed, V10, 3.73 LS, Arizona Beige, ICI Stainless Step Bars, Truxedo Tonneau, Prodigy Brake Control, Flowmaster 40

Quick Reply: Brake controller