General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

classic country

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:24 AM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
classic country

well, heres my rant

am I the only one who can't stand the stuff the radio calls "country music" these days?
I mean even Johnny Cash ( truly great man, by the way, god rest his soul) tried to distance himself from new country after one of the last awards he recieved. the only new country artist I've heard who's any good is Hank Williams III.

the new stuff is just POP music on par with Britney or N STINK.
anyway, they have classic rock stations, how about some classic country stations?

Old 12-12-2003, 05:31 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

I agree 1000%

Old 12-12-2003, 06:43 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate new country too, love bluegrass and old old country music.
The newer so called artist make me sick with the fake accent and they sing about things to try evoke some sort of emotional response, i dont buy it for a minute.Hank Williams 3 plays bass in a hardcore metal band Superjoint Ritual, didnt know he played country.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:08 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Yer not alone in yer feelings. I prefer the country music that i grew up with. Late 70's early 80's. I'll take Dolly, Randy Travis or Kenny Rogers over the Dipsy Chicks or the other pop-country musicians anyday! I just can't listen to all these new chick pop-country singers.(I'm probably the only person not in awe or fanatic about Shania Twain too.) To each his own I guess.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
I'm with you 100%.

"New Country" is barely music, let alone country music.

Does anyone buy that crap? Nashville must be hurting these days.

Waxy

Old 12-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
There is some of it I listen to....Tim McGraw, Toby Keith, some Alan Jackson, and a few occasional songs from various other artist., now I do not consider it the same type of country as say Hank Sr or even Randy Travis...but still better than actual pop or rap, now the female singers, that is a differant story, only songs I will lsiten to by a female are either the older Reba, or that Streets of Heaven

Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 AM
bobs75f-250
Senior User
I agree with all of you. I think the only guys who still sing good country are Alan Jackson and Travis Tritt. I like Toby Keith too, but some of his stuff is pretty poppish. And all the old country cd's are only like 5 bucks at wal-mart, so I've been trying to pick one up every time I go there.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:57 AM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks.. Just to name a few, I like older country too, but some of the new country isn't bad. I cannot stand the poppy country music though, it's just not right.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:13 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
i dont like todays country either. there is a few singers i like from today but they've been around for a while and they actually sing songs about country life. such as rhett akins, george strait, garth brooks, clay walker and kenny chesney although a few of his songs arent country, i just turn em off when they come on.

and whats with all these girl singers, none of them are country at all. if you wanna sing pop then sing under the pop genre, dont corrupt country. its not called country for no reason.

Old 12-12-2003, 02:01 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a radio station that plays "classic country", from the 1940's to about 1985. I had so much trouble receiving it with my old radio that I went and bought a new stereo with better reception, and now the station comes in much clearer.

As I said in the "Favorite country song" thread, in my opinion, country music went into serious decline in 1962, and is now so corrupted by pop music and big money that I do not feel it fair to call it "country music" any longer.

Old 12-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Zane M
Senior User
Waylon, Willie, Merle, Cash, Jones, Hank I and II...The new stuff doesn't compare. I will give Toby Keith credit for at least recognizing where he comes from though..

Old 12-12-2003, 06:10 PM
mk
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a great station out of Seattle I can get all the way up here in central Alberta. They play all the great stuff up to the late eighties. After that, with Shania, Garth et all, the music seems to have fallen on hard times.

mike

Old 12-12-2003, 06:19 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
(Other Bower here)
I listen to all kinds of music, but I'm picky about it. I love older country, I grew up on Kenny, Dolly, Waylon & Willie, Tom T. Hall, Glenn Campbell, Loretta Lynn et. al.
I like a lot of new country too but I just can't stand Shania Twain or that screechy stuff the Dix-E-Rects sing.
I like Alan Jackson's voice but to me he is the Michael Bolton of country music, too many remakes! (Anyone heard the original Mercury Blues by Steve Miller?)
And Toby Keith...I liked him a lot better before he went corporate country and started with all the "anthem" stereotype songs. Sure they appeal to the masses and sell a ton of CDs but they just aren't as good as the older stuff. I do like Beer For My Horses though.

Old 12-12-2003, 06:24 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
i think everyone, mostly singers, should watch the movie "pure country" then they'll see how country music is done. it aint about the lights or the money.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:54 PM
gdub
Senior User
If you ever come through Amarillo try 101.9. They play some way good country. Saturday mornings are the best, all from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Quick Reply: classic country