Visiting Sedona next week--maybe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:14 PM
soksniffer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Sedona next week--maybe

Hello, Arizona!

I'm going to have all of next week off, and have been wracking my brain trying to think of someplace to go that's close enough to drive in a day, visit for 2 or 3 days, and then drive back to CA in time for Thanksgiving. I'd kind of like to visit Sedona, and among other things might like to spend a half-day checking out some of the mellower 4x4 trails in the area.

Does anyone have any trail recommendations? Is anyone possibly going to be off on Tuesday, 11/25 or Wednesday 11/26, and if so, would he/she be interested exploring some trails as well?

I'm still not positive I'll make it out there, but I'd sure like to.

Old 11-23-2003, 12:00 PM
mikewrt
Senior User
ummm, let see there is lots of trails in the area of the state but some in sedona are protected by permits, the vortexes, ect. or are full of jeep tours or hikers. If you just are looking for a senic drive you might try schnebly hill road out of sedona and up towards I 17. The drive up or down is quite nice as you drive 4000 ft from sedona up to around 7000. then from I17 go towards flagstaff and if so desire check out the shops downtown. there is some good wheeling around flagstaff. I even just like to take a shults pass through the mountains or just go up elden to 9000+ ft and admire how far you can see. Neither are usually extreme wheeling except when there is snow which right now there isn't any or little but I've heard that some is on its way this week. When done in flastaff either go back down I17 to schnebly hill or I would drive down 89A back to sedona. If you are looking to stay around sedona you might also try following a jeep tour and see where they go or find a local map. I'm in flagstaff but not sure where I'll be or if I'm avaliable.

Old 11-26-2003, 02:01 PM
soksniffer
Senior User
Well, I've gone and am back. A couple of times I ended up on some of the jeep trails that branch off of the 152A, 152B and 152C (I still don't get how your weird-o road naming system works), and only had one scare on Tuesday afternoon when I bottomed out on some rocks I really had no business trying to go over and the check engine light, oil light and check gage light all came on, and the power steering went bye-bye. I turned my truck off just to make all of those awful lights go away--even if only for a moment--then took a look around the outside to see if anything was obviously broken (nothing was). After banging my head against the steering wheel for having been such an idiot, I tried turning her back on and... she was fine. Whew! I found an easier way out and called it a day.

There sure are a lot of jeeps in Sedona, and apparently ALL of them are owned and driven by 50-somethings. Weird.

I was disappointed by the mountain biking. All of the trails I check out were choked with golf-ball- to fist-sized rocks. The views were great, but I banged up my shins pretty good getting to (and from) them.

Last edited by soksniffer; 11-26-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:28 AM
mikewrt
Senior User
As a mountain biker I can't complain about the rocks just have fun with em. That sucks about your dash lights, sure hope you have skid plates. Glad you had a good time. buy the way, whats so weird about the road number system.