Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problems. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 04:31 PM
johnrebbb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch problems. Need help!

Howdy all,
I was curious if there's some way of checking the function of the clutch master cylinder on my '90 F-150. It's got a Mazda 5 speed sitting behind an I6. The clutch assembly is only 5 months old, but I suspect the disc is a cheep one. Lifetime warrentys don't get the tranny back down regretably.
The slave cylinder was replaced at the same time so I'm wondering about the master cylinder. It's the only thing I didn't replace and now it won't go into gear while running. The peddle is soft, but it lurches forward when in gear and the key is turned.
I'd be greatful for any ideas.
Thanks,
-John R.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:08 PM
iron eddie
New User
John,
This Clutch is 5 months old right? Everything worked fine after the clutch job right? If the pedal is soft you do have a problem. Give me some more info (Detailed) on your truck since it got the clutch job. If the pedal is soft, then there is a problem. Iron Eddie

Old 12-10-2003, 06:18 PM
johnrebbb
Senior User
Everything was fine this morning at 4:45 am. I had hell to pay to get the truck to move 10' thanks to the mud/ice/snow mix on the ground. I gave up until daylight to put on some studded snow tires. When I fired the old girl up, no engagement.
I put it in gear with the engine off. I then craked the key and it lunched forward. Whatever was hung up gave loose for about 2 minutes, then it wouldn't go into gear at all with the eninge running. The cranking while in gear trick doesn't work anymore either.
The clutch fingers are bent now some. I did try and rebleed the line. No luck there, it bled fluid. The master cylinder is full and not leaking. I only suspect it because there's no peddle resistance.
If you've got any specific questions on something I left out, please feel free to ask!
Thanks Eddie,
-John R.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:49 PM
iron eddie
New User
Well John,
Sounds like you did some serious damage this morning. It sound to me like the Clutch disc fell apart and went into the pressure plate. You must have heard some noise from the clutch area before it went afu? The reason the pedal is soft is because the throwout bearing has no resistance to push against it. More than likley you will have to replace the disc. pressure plate, throwout bearing, and slave cylinder. Resurface the flywheel also. Maybe since the slave cylinder is not tha old and (you are in good standing with you auto parts supplier) you may get it exchanged for a new one. Once you pull it all apart you will see the damage. Do not forget to put in the right Tranny fluid. Consult the owners Manual. Some Ford Manual trannys take ATF

Old 12-11-2003, 03:01 AM
johnrebbb
Senior User
That's what I'm afraid of. I put the last clutch though more than this and it lasted until about 5 months ago. I went from the stock 10" to an 11" too. Oh well, I know where I'll be when the weather clears up.
Thanks for the input,
-John R.

Old 12-20-2003, 02:13 PM
johnrebbb
Senior User
I got to looking today. The slave cylinder isn't moving at all. Any ideas as to how to check whether it's the master cylinder or the slave?
-John R.