Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

Any One Have Mods Planned For Their Truck This Winter?

Old 12-10-2003, 12:22 AM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any One Have Mods Planned For Their Truck This Winter?

Any one have any plans for their truck during the winter months?

I picked up front and rear all black bumpers on ebay and plan on installing them on the excursion. I'm going with the momochrome all black look. If finances make it possible... an old school flame job might be in order in the early Spring!

Old 12-11-2003, 06:33 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be doing some mods over the winter months too. You know what I want to do.......lift, tires/wheels, gears, and lockers.

I'm also seriously considering getting some of those AMP Research steps .

Just hoping everything will work out so that I can get it all done.

I know for sure I'll be making a new sub box.

Rottn,
Are you going to get a colored grill shell as well?

I know you keep your X basically immaculately clean.....have you ever thought about Zoops Seal on your wheels?? I'm probably going to try it out on the Stone Crushers I have, just wondering if you had any experience with it.

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2003, 07:48 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
LOL, I am planning on going the opposite direction! I am going to install 3" lowered I-beams on my 66 this winter. While it is apart, it will be updated with power steering and power disk brakes. If Santa is good to me, I want new coated headers for the old girl too.
Hopefully we have a mild winter as my shed is not heated. The good news, my beer doesn't get warm!

Old 12-13-2003, 01:54 AM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
Originally posted by DCSpecial
I might be doing some mods over the winter months too. You know what I want to do.......lift, tires/wheels, gears, and lockers.
I'm also seriously considering getting some of those AMP Research steps .
Just hoping everything will work out so that I can get it all done.

Rottn,
Are you going to get a colored grill shell as well?

I know you keep your X basically immaculately clean.....have you ever thought about Zoops Seal on your wheels?? I'm probably going to try it out on the Stone Crushers I have, just wondering if you had any experience with it.

Thanks.
Those AMP Research Steps look great. Let me know how they work out.

You know... I forgot all about the grill shell until you mentioned it. I was able to pick one up primer-ed and ready to paint on ebay today. Thanks!

I've heard that the Zoop coating yellows... but don't have any personal experience with it. Can't blame you for wanting to try it. As you know it's a huge pain trying to keep aluminum wheels looking good even if you don't wheel it!

Old 12-13-2003, 01:57 AM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
Truckfarmer,

Those F-100's look good lowered!

Old 12-13-2003, 12:32 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Originally posted by MrRottnDog
Those AMP Research Steps look great. Let me know how they work out.

You know... I forgot all about the grill shell until you mentioned it. I was able to pick one up primer-ed and ready to paint on ebay today. Thanks!

I've heard that the Zoop coating yellows... but don't have any personal experience with it. Can't blame you for wanting to try it. As you know it's a huge pain trying to keep aluminum wheels looking good even if you don't wheel it!

I'll let you know how the AMP steps work out......almost positive I'll be ordering them next week .

I'm thinking about a different grill shell too........the one that's called the "Bladerunner Grille" if you've seen it. I like it because I haven't seen a lot of trucks with it.

Thanks for the info on the Zoops Seal. A buddy of mine has it on his 60s impala for about a year.......but the car hasn't been finished and driven to see how it holds up.

Maybe I'll just stick to polishing them .....don't want to spend over $100 if it's going to look bad after a while. If it stays on a long time it would suck if it started to yellow out.

Are you going to paint the rest of the tan on the X or still thinking about the Rhino or Line-X on it?

Old 12-13-2003, 02:16 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
It will be painted black and if I have the flames done it will look very much like this.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:06 PM
OGNOM
Senior User
Started blackening out the X three weeks ago. I removed the bambi killer and taillight guards, used Herculiner on body moldings and bumpers. Looks killer.
Installed a new set of Ford X nerfbars after my wife got highsided on a very large rock( said she didn`t see it).
Installed a Surco roof rack.
Mounted a set of Hella 550`s where the tow hooks were.
Had a 3" body lift put on , what a PITA.
Just got done putting on a 2-1/2" Jack-It leveling kit. It leveled the X within a 1/8" all around but looked nose high. So we added a 1" block to the back. Looks alot better. The kit did make it ride firmer. I personaly like it, alot better than the stock mushy feel.
Now I`m looking at new wheels a tires, The 305`s are way to small now. There up for sale.
I`m looking at Nitto 325/60`s on a 20' rim or 36x14.5x16`s PJ`s and Crushers.
Maybe Santa
Maybe after the new year a chip, X-M radio, headers and gears

Old 12-13-2003, 03:33 PM
dgodude
Junior User
Dan,
Do you know which lift, tire and gears are you going to get?

I dont know if I'm going to do any major mods to my F250. But I'll be adding minor things for looks.
I heard of a product called "rim ice" on another site. It suppose to clean any type of wheels and leaves a clear coating to protectt the rim. Anyone heard of it??
Roger.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:55 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Rottn,

That would look sweet. Similar to this:

Do you have a pic that shows the front of that SD you posted. Looks like it has the grill shell that I want.

OGNOM,

Sounds like you've been real busy

Roger.
Pretty sure it will be the 10.5" Edge with 4.56 gears, ARBs front and rear and 38" Parnelli Jones mounted on the (5) Weld Stone Crushers that I recently bought...16.5x9.75.

I've never heard of that product, but would be interested to know more.

I know the polish that I use says that it has a protective coating on the surface......look real nice polished on my bench, we'll see how wheel it holds up though.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:48 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
DCSpecial,

No I don't. I took that picture of it at Indy this year. I just got my issue of Off-Road magazine today and I see the ORU extreme-toys excursion you posted is the cover truck this month.

OGNOM,

I used to have that size PJ's on mine. I'm thinking it's going to be a tight fit with the amount of lift you have. I tried mounting them with the fabtech 5.5" lift and trimmed and shimmed front bumper and it wasn't even close. Thats when I added the 3" body lift.

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 12-13-2003 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 AM
OGNOM
Senior User
Thank`s for the info John, I thought it would be tight. But now that I Herculined the bumpers I won`t hesitate to bring out the saw to make them fit
When you had the 36`s, did you realy feel the loss of power ?Do you think I can get by with the stock gears( 3.73`s) or should I do the gear change to 4.56`s?
And again, thanks for you input.

MONGO

Old 12-14-2003, 01:15 AM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
I got the 4.56's before I went to the 36/14.50R/16 P.J's. I wish now I would have gone with the 4.88's.

At one point I did have 35/12.50R/16 SSR's on it with the stock 3.73's. This was when the only engine mods I had were Airraid air intake, jet chip and borla catback. I didn't feel much of a loss in power... However after the Borla Headers were installed it felt like I lost some low end torque and that combined with the stock gearing plus knowing I would be going to an even bigger tire prompted me to have the gear change done.

I think you should wait until after you get the bigger diameter tires. I think you'll feel some power loss... but maybe not enough to warrant the cost of a gear change.

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 12-14-2003 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:28 AM
OGNOM
Senior User
Much thanks John. Got to get the wheels and tires soon. The 305`s are WAY to small.

Old 12-14-2003, 12:02 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
there is plenty of mods i want to do...3" body lift, 31" bfg a/ts, lightbar with KC daylighters, and new exhaust.

the only one i will be doing this winter is the exhaust, because it is cheapest and i dont have alotta money.

y'all will have to post pics of your finished projects. i wouldnt mind seein em. good luck with your trucks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any One Have Mods Planned For Their Truck This Winter?