2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeek in back window of S Crew

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 12:43 PM
bfab
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your jack. I had a rattle and if I held the jack it would stop.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:23 AM
jogmark3
Junior User
Can anyone agree with me on this sound comparison??

The rattle sounds like a loose lisence plate behind the rear seat

hitting the back wall of the truck!!

Old 01-05-2004, 08:19 AM
jp2004
New User
i've got 2500 miles on my lariat screw. i drove quite a bit this wknd & i swear the rattle comes & goes. it's definately near the top of the rear seat. might not be the window. i tried the car seat straps.no luck. i'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for 3000 mile appt. hope they've got some idea how to stop the NOISE!!!

Old 01-05-2004, 08:58 AM
jogmark3
Junior User
jp2004

I totally agree with you on the noise!! Comes and goes!!

Just makes me mad cause its a new vehicle and everyone who rides with me is lik"whats that noise"

Hope we find fix soon!!

Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
RX 1 Liter
Senior User
Jog, No idea on how to get behind the seat without removing it. My noise is only there on those rumble type bumps that vibrate the truck. I agree with the loose license plate analogy...sounds just like that only near the top of the back seat. I had the same type of sound in my 97 F-150 when I had my tonneau cover rolled up against the back window during the winter when snow and ice would build up.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 AM
jogmark3
Junior User
RX do you know how much labor there is to get the back of the seats off

And would I be messing with the warrenty bye doing it myself

I just need to get a look behind there to put my mind at ease!!!!

I dont want to pop it off and not be able to get it back on (that would suck)!!!!

Old 02-01-2004, 09:29 AM
txfx4x4
Senior User
I'm new to this board and immediately found a thread addressing exactly the problem I have on my 2004 SCrew FX4. Has there been any resolution to the debate or is anyone aware of a TSB?

Old 02-01-2004, 03:24 PM
ford6
New User
I too have the rattle in the rear of my Screw. I only hear it when the rear power slider is open. Yesterday, I picked up a squat rack weight system, in excess of 300lbs. I kept the rear slider open the whole trip home. I never heard the squeak. As soon as I drove off, rear slider open and bed empty, the squeak was back. Go figure. I hope a solution is in the works.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:39 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
Mine is more of a fairly loud rattle behind and at the top of the rear seat, closest to the passenger side. Opening/closing the window has no affect on this noise. I have read through the posts above and I'm not certain that we're all referring to or experiencing the same thing. I will have to remove the rear seat upright to make a true determination.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:08 PM
chaindrive
New User
FIX FOR THE RATTLE IN THE BACK FOR THE 04 SCREW LARIAT - I, too, had just purchased a 2004 Lariat SCrew and quickly developed the rattle in the backseat, which I thought was around the rear window. However, after having my wife drive the truck, with me sitting in the backseat, I found where the rattle was coming from. The rattle came from the inside of the cab top liner. If you will sit in the backseat and reach straight up and peck on the liner, you will hear the rattle. I fixed the rattle by wedging a piece of weather stripping between the cab liner and the cab by the back window. You will have to place it just in the right spot so it will not rattle. You can run your finger in between the cab liner and peck on the liner to find the spot that you need to put the weather stripping in. Please try this and let me know if it works for you.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:48 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
Ironic that you post this today. The ever-friendly and knowledgeable service manager at my local Ford dealership sent me a copy of a TSB today that was issued on 1/29/04. It's titled "Rattle/Squeak from Power Sliding Back Glass" (Article No. 04-2-6). The fix Ford prescribes is different than what you have described. It involves removal of the "upper run channel", rear seat, rear trim panel, child seat safety tethers, and rear center glass section in order to place foam padding under the window frame. Probably not something the average person wants to do at home; however, the procedure does appear to be covered under the factory warranty. There is a kit called "Rotunda Squeak and Rattle Kit" with a part number 164-R4900.

I hope this helps everyone but I'm not sure I want the boys down at my dealership taking things on my brand new truck apart.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:03 PM
dgordon
Junior User
Check out the seat belk height adjustment at the driver's seat. The squeak was driving me crazy until one day I was changing lanes and looked to the left to make sure the lane was clear - and what do you know? As the angle of my head changed, I looked right at the culprit. The direction of the sound with me facing forward never appeared to be right at my left ear. But when I turned just a bit, I heard and saw it. (And I don't have a big head) Made a 1/4 inch move in the adjustment and haven't heard it since. Hope this help someone else. Please check that adjustment!!!!!

Old 02-11-2004, 02:59 AM
danderson@novamortga
New User
In mine, it is NOT the headliner...
I have a 2004 Lariat SuperCrew w/sunroof and power rear window. After just 700 miles, I have a squeak which appears to be coming from the entire rear window surround. It squeaks only over bumps, almost as though the cab is flexing, and the window frame (which appears to be one moulded piece)is rigid. Putting hand pressure on any part the frame when it squeaks does not stop the problem, so I suspect it is a flexing over a large area.
Anyone had this problem? What should I do? Does Ford have a contact who would be interested in this or can help?
Given the published rigidity of the new frame, I am suprised, however, this seems to be a flexing of the "cab"... so was the same attention paid to this?

Old 02-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Captain Jim
Freshman User
Looks like I started a worthwhile thread here. It also sounds like there is finally a legitimate TSB on this problem. Mine is still squeeking, but it's time for action.

Jim

Old 03-01-2004, 07:33 AM
jp2004
New User
txfx4x4 refers to tsb 04-2-6b. i can't find it. the solution also seems to be quite involved. my dealer gives me a strange look when i mention the "RATTLE"

Quick Reply: Squeek in back window of S Crew