starter needing help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 06:55 PM
bluespark11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter needing help

hey,

i've just been handed down a '64 f100 from my late grandfather and i'm having trouble finding a starting point to begin totally restoring/customizing it into a show truck. i am well up for the challenge and would appreciate any tips or advice.

thanks,
bluespark11

Old 12-08-2003, 07:42 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the best place to start is to ask yourself some questions:

How much money are you willing to put into it, and how much time? How much can you do yourself?
Will it be a grage or trailer queen? Or a daily driver?
Do you want it original? How about safety upgrades like disc brakes and dual master cylinder?

Do you want to make it drivable to use now and then do an off-frame restoration later?

Money and time will be your biggest obstacles. You need to look to your future first (Married? Going to be married? Want to have kids soon? College? etc) and make your decision accordingly.
Don't sacrifice the permanent on the altar of the immediate.

Once you have analyzed these thoughts, plus the ones that others throw in, you can make a wise decision.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2003, 08:58 PM
bluespark11
New User
great advice and opinion

Dear Advisor,

You speak the God honest truth. All of your points are strong and have already been pondered. I, being the young age of 20, think that my fiancee and I have a great economic start for the furture. We hope to hold off on kids for a good while! As far as price goes, it shouldn't be a problem. After college, my income should be fine for the project. Also, I have nothing but time. Because I plan on doing it right no matter how long in it takes. Stuff like this seem to drag out for long spells. You know? For now, I would like to start by taking the truck completely apart. I want to start by cleaning and painting the rails, and upgrading the suspension. I'm going for the older muscle look and power, with new age performance and handling. Oh yea! Throw in some custom designs here and there. WOW, it looks like am asking for too much. But back to the topic, where do I start with the disassembling?

bluespark11

Old 12-09-2003, 06:39 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you've thought this through, so that's great.

What condition are the body and trim in? If it isn't wrecked, badly dented or rusted out, I would leave the body work alone for now. Why? As you said: "Stuff like this seem to drag out for long spells. " Unbelieveably long, too.

I have seen this happen over and over, where someone gets started and tears it all apart, then something happens. A car wreck, a baby comes, a great new job opportunity. And your Slick is in pieces, and can't go with you.

If it is driveable now, I would put the time and money into disc brakes, new engine, transmission upgrade, power steering (so your sweetie can drive it***), new bench seat, safety and useability things. One advantage to doing these first is that it doesn't matter if the hammer slips and scratches the paint - because that gets fixed later when you pull the body off.

Use the next couple of years get READY to do the body. Buy up parts on E-bay and from suppliers at good prices. Custom cab chrome trim, nicer gauges, etc. Then when you have it all in hand, you can get the truck torn apart, repaired and back together in less than a year.

Now, about those asterisks: You have to get her on your side. This concept is NOT optional. Your sweetie will NOT like to see the money going into the bottomless pit of your Slick. Trust me on this one! (Listen to what the others say about this as well.)
However, IF your Slick is easy and comfortable for her to drive, and IF she gets to drive it regularly, she will fall all over it for you! Then, when you want to put the $5K or $10K into the paint and body job, she will be behind it as well.

Just my thoughts. Good luck, and post back often.
And don't forget to enjoy your grandfather's heritage!!

Old 12-09-2003, 10:18 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come this is double threaded? or is it an echo in my P/C?

Old 12-09-2003, 06:42 PM
bluespark11
New User
Dear New Friend,
Thanks for all the great advice. It does make more sense to build it up mechanically first. Then work on getting all my ideas together for the body work and modifying. Good thing too, because the body is in "ok" shape. But there is many spots that need touching up: dent in back right flare, small rusted out spot on hood as well as the floorboards, bed and tailgate. If you come along any more tips or new custom parts let me know and I will try to do the same. Sweety says hello.

Thanks,
bluespark11

P.S.: The misses' enjoyed been included.
GREAT IDEA
Hats off to you!