Helper Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:30 AM
mikebemt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helper Springs?

I have a 97 F150 4X4. I tow a 2 horse bumper pull trailer now and then and use the truck for hauling hay and other horse related chores. However, I also use the truck as my getting back and forth to work vehicle.

I would like to beef up the suspension so the truck doesn't squat so much when I tow or haul heavy loads. I do not use a weight distributing hitch system. Anyway, the weight distribution hitch system wouldn't help out when I'm not towing my trailer but I'm hauling grain or hay in the bed of the truck.

I've been looking at "helper spring" systems that can be bought from various outlets. Some sets are advertised to keep the factory ride and handling when there is no load but stiffen up and also even out the truck when hauling a load. Because I drive my truck 30 miles every day to work it's important that the ride stay as nice an smooth as it is now.

I'm currently looking at a set through JC Whitney that bolt onto the stock springs and don't look like they are too difficult to install.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else uses this kind of helper spring system and if so how they like it.

As always, any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Mike B

Old 12-08-2003, 11:22 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Helper springs are a bandaid. They don't raise your real load capacity. They just bandaid the ride height issue.

If your truck is squatting a lot with the load you have, then your springs are overloaded, your axle bearings and gears may be over stressed and maybe your brakes will be inadequate.

Better to get a heavier truck or tow with a WD hitch. Yeah, sure.

But in answer to your question, yes the springs will help maintain ride height and depending on the springs they should not really come into effect until you load them. Be cautious about stopping and I would probably do a "severe duty" maintenance cycle on the tranny and diff. Also wouldn't make this a habit, or at least expect decreased life from components.

I used a set of these type springs almost 30 years ago, and they worked well. No load just used the shocks and springs on the vehicle. Heavy load compressed the OEM springs enough to contact the helper and then they took up the excess. I did this very rarely, and I was not experienced enough to detect any problems. Forget the brand name, long time ago.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 PM
mikebemt
Freshman User
Thanks Jim.

I realize that the helper springs won't increase the load carrying capability but I'm mostly looking for something to help level out the truck when I am towing or carrying a heavy load.

Mike B

Old 12-09-2003, 12:16 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Hi Mike, thanks for joining us in the Towing forum.

I know the type of springs you are refering to. Helwig's or something similar. I don't have any experience with them, but would just like to throw out an alternative: Air shocks. Quite a while back, I had a mini-truck that was my daily driver. I was using it to haul sand and block for my home landscaping project. At first I tried Rancho lift springs which were basicaly a sharply curved spring that recurved the stock springs when shackled together. That worked when loaded, but unloaded rode way too high and rough. I switched to air shocks and not only did it ride better empty, but also rode and handled much better when loaded. I kept 20 psi in them all the time and took it up to 70 if I really loaded it up. It leveled the load nicely. It squatted, but evenly front and rear.

Now the last time I posted this suggestion, someone pointed out that shock mounts were perhaps not designed for the type of strain a pressurized shock might exert. I hadn't thought of that before, and would have to agree with that assertion. So I think that is worth repeating as well.

Scott

Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 PM
swampo
Senior User
I think that I would try an air bag helper system they are pretty close to the same price as helper springs and they allow you to adjust the amount of preshure you want in them so when you arent doin chores you can let the air back out an have your stock ride back for going to work.

I have an uncle who did this for pretty much the same reason you are and he really likes this setup.

Old 12-14-2003, 02:03 PM
97F250LD
Junior User
I have a set of Airlift Airbags on my truck. Even though I have a 3/4 ton truck I like having the extra weight capacity. They are good for another 5,000lbs towing but I would not try that could break the axle or springs. I like the ride that I get with them, with and without a load. I do have the onboard air compressor to. I like having that so I can change pressure at any time. Also very easy install. Any other questions about it just ask.
Michael

Old 12-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a set of simple add on helper springs.

I tow a car trailer (4500 lbs loaded) with a '95 Clubwagon (E150 chassis) with another 800+ lbs of equipment in the back. It sets the rear down lower than I wanted. As a quick fix I went to Autozone and bought a cheap set of helper springs. I think I paid $25 for them. They installed in about 20 minutes.

These helped alot and brought the rear of the van back near stock ride height. I originally intended this to be only a temporary fix and was going to add another leaf or air bags but the helper springs worked so well I never bothered to change them.

The ride when empty is only slightly firmer although the clubwagon has better weight distribution than your F150.

Steve

Old 12-16-2003, 11:50 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the airbags helper springs. They have a pretty heavy duty mounting bracket that goes directly to the frame. Any load the truck is rated for can be leveled out with them. Pretty easy install, too. I think I paid $250 for mine. '99 SD, F-250