Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Accessing heater blower motor on A/C equipped truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 10:05 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
royal PITA on my '79... I ended up busting up the a/c components and decided my truck really didn't need any a/c at all, so I left everything out.

Could we be discussing two different types of A/C installations, particularly in the '78-'79s? I know the mustangs are different, as in factory install vs. dealer install. Two completely different animals. I seem to remember hearing something like this on these trucks...

Old 12-07-2003, 10:17 PM
BigBully
Senior User
OK sorry I just got back home and see everyone freaking out.
OK Under the hood take the A/C Hose holder loose from the firewall Lip. Then remove the plate from where the hoses enter the A/C unit. NOW go inside and take the side vent off (Bellow looking thing) Now take the nuts off holding the unit to the firewall. (easier if you take the glovebox out) NOW you will see the A/C Fins and a small plate to take up the space, Take the screws out and set the plate aside. NOW If a friend can help Have him Go under the hood And Very easy pull the hoses so The hoses will help turn the A/C Accum. off to the side. You should understand when you get to that point. NOW take the heater core out, the remove the 4 screws holding the Flapper in and you will have to unsnap the back side of the flapper from the Post. Now you should be able to pull the Blower Assembly out of the box FROM THE INSIDE. Im sorry but I cant believe people are so Dumb that they cut the box up under the hood. Its not that hard to do. And the A/C DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DRAINED.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:22 PM
BigBlockGuru
Senior User
Whoa dude! Who are you calling dumb? You might want to rethink some things. I didn't cut the box at all. If you want to go through 24 hours of hell taking everything out and having your friends help you then do it your way Bully. But, if you want to do esentially the same think in 1/10th of the time I suggest doing it my way. Cut the blower motor flange and put the new one on by putting it in from the outside. No big deal.

P.S. Act like an adult and don't call me dumb, stupid!

Old 12-08-2003, 09:59 AM
BigBully
Senior User
I was not nessasaraly talking about you. I ve been around these trucks for many many years and seen some "Actual Mechanics" cut the box up. Its not as hard a job as people make it out to be. Im sorry if you dont like what I said But I still say its DUMB to cut the box up. It was not made to be cut up. It was made to take apart from the inside. Did you not say You drilled the rivits out and CUT something? 24 hours of Hell? Whats that supposed to mean? It takes 3 hours Tops for me to change out a Blower motor or a Core. BY MY SELF.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:44 AM
dzjammer
Senior User
Just replaced heater core (again) in my 79 with A/C. did it from the inside like was said, about 2 hrs total. The blower motor was farther back in there, never had to replace it, but probably could be done from inside out. Would seem easier to lose the rivets from the engine side and get right to the fan, but if theres more to it than that, I can't say. More than 1 way to skin a cat as the saying goes.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:54 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the heater core once and the blower motor a second time. Neither time did it take me more than 2.5-3 hrs for the job. Did it from the inside using the instructions in the tech article I referenced, and BigBully pretty much quoted (Which btw I wrote from the factory service manual, so that's how FORD says to do it!). And MY A/C box has a big sticker on it that says "DO NOT SERVICE FROM THIS SIDE".

Sorry, but if you drilled and cut ANYTHING under the hood you did it the wrong way. Kinda like a rectal tonsilectimy. Can be done, but definitely doing it the hard way.

This subject has been repeated so many times maybe it should be sticky at the top, or a button to the article. But I know no one would stop to read it before posting.

Last edited by 76supercab2; 12-08-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:03 PM
BigBlockGuru
Senior User
Hey dzjammer do you have to drain the freon for your AC when you replace the heater core? Or is your 79 different from my 77? I need to do this sometime. I just bypassed the whole heater core until I can get time to fix it.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:06 PM
BigBlockGuru
Senior User
Originally posted by 76supercab2

Sorry, but if you drilled and cut ANYTHING under the hood you did it the wrong way. Kinda like a rectal tonsilectimy. Can be done, but definitely doing it the hard way.

I like my way better.

Old 12-08-2003, 05:20 PM
BigBully
Senior User
If you like your way better thats great, It still dont mean its the way Ford Intended it to be done. Why would you need to drain the freon? The 77 is no different then a 79? Just askin

Old 12-08-2003, 05:33 PM
BigBlockGuru
Senior User
So you can easily remove and replace the heater core from INSIDE of the truck?

Old 12-08-2003, 08:47 PM
biggreen4x4
Senior User
Okay. I kinda have the idea now. What i wasn't seeing is how ford intended for it to come apart. So it can be done from the inside. My A/C system on my truck is open. No compressor or even the outside coil. Now could I do with out the A/C condensor on the inside or would it be better to just let it stay for structural support or what ever other reasons there may be. (As a side note, would anybody know where to find that gasket like piece that seals the inside airbox to the firewall. And how much should that blower motor be.)

Old 12-08-2003, 09:03 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BigBlockGuru
But you CAN easily remove the heater core from inside the truck without cracking open the A/C system and dumping MANY $ worth of R-12.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:54 PM
BigBully
Senior User
Yes I can

Old 12-08-2003, 11:05 PM
N69MF
New User
Originally posted by biggreen4x4
Okay. I kinda have the idea now. What i wasn't seeing is how ford intended for it to come apart. So it can be done from the inside. My A/C system on my truck is open. No compressor or even the outside coil. Now could I do with out the A/C condensor on the inside or would it be better to just let it stay for structural support or what ever other reasons there may be. (As a side note, would anybody know where to find that gasket like piece that seals the inside airbox to the firewall. And how much should that blower motor be.)
Check ebay for a blower motor, I've seen them for around $40.00 plus shipping. I've seen rope putty, or duct seal that looks like the same suff Ford used to seal the airbox in Home Depot. Look in the plumbing supplies by the water heater insulation section.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:53 AM
BigBlockGuru
Senior User
The blower motor will cost I think about $30-35 at O'Reily. Thats where I bought mine last year. It sounds alot cooler than the old one too. At a high setting it sounds like a turbo. Hahaha.

Quick Reply: Accessing heater blower motor on A/C equipped truck