General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

nor'easter

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 09:42 PM
stupato
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nor'easter

20 inches of snow and still coming down...can't wait to go snowboarding tomorrow

Old 12-06-2003, 09:45 PM
theologian
Postmaster
20" of snow in Brooklyn????

That will be interesting. I was speaking with a Long Islander earlier this afternoon, She was telling me of the terrible blizzard that was battering their home. I don't think they like snow much.

Theo

Old 12-06-2003, 09:53 PM
stupato
Senior User
it's pretty spotty here around nyc...anywhere from 12-23 inches...i had to clean the truck off 4 times already just so i don't get overwhelmed...i wish i had my camera with me...my neighbors pathfinder is completely hidden...it's kinda scary though when the plows come...gotta love street parking

Old 12-06-2003, 09:59 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only got 12" out of that storm in maryland. just enough tp have some fun!!!!
except for those ...........I spoke about in other thread.

edited for content by FTE

Old 12-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They are saying 15-25 inches by tomorrow night here in Maine. There is already quite a bit on the ground, between the plows and the wind, I would guesstimate 8 inches have fallen, and its coming down hard.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:24 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
(Other Bower)
We were told 12-18 inches by this afternoon, but the snow stopped around lunchtime and we've only gotten about 5.
(AdLib a news blooper: Hey, weatherman, where's that 12 inches you promised me last night?)

Old 12-06-2003, 10:59 PM
reever
Elder User
Know what u mean OtherBower,
A few years back we had a weather guy here in the Philly area named John Bolaris. Actually pretty good at his craft.
Anyways, a storm was coming and for about a week his station played this thing up as the "storm o' tha century"! All the other stations were talking also, but no where near as terrible. Mr Bolaris almost started riots and runs on stores beacause of his dire prediction
That storm came blowing up the coast and just did NOTHING!!!
The storm we had the last 2 days was worse than that little blip of a storm.
So now, the weather guys here are sort of scared when it comes to the "big storm" predictions. Known as the "Bolaris Blunder" in these parts.
I think Mr. B has now moved to NYC....

Old 12-07-2003, 12:07 AM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
We use a tried-and-true method at the greenhouse:
we stick our heads out the door. (Yep, it's weathering!)

We have so little faith in our local forecasters, because of exactly what reever was saying, that we plan different schedules for the same day so we're covered whatever the weather.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:59 AM
lovethosediesels
Senior User
Being a native of PA, I love the snow, though being Active Duty Navy has kept me away from home for the past 5 winters. I am looking forward to this Christmas, though, I finally get to go home and visit my family...the snow is an added bonus!

Old 12-07-2003, 10:02 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Snow is great, when the locals know what to do with it. Nothing worse than somebody who freaks out when the white stuff falls.

Theo

Old 12-07-2003, 10:18 AM
lovethosediesels
Senior User
No kidding....I was stationed in VA in '99 when Virginia Beach got 4 inches....just about everyone was "parking" their cars in the median of the interstate. For some reason, some people decide to leave their brains at home when it snows or rains really hard. If you aren't comfortable driving in those conditions, stay home.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:22 AM
94van
Posting Guru
We got just about an inch here South of DC, Up the road North of me just a few miles, they got a lot more. I'm happy, didn't have to use my new snowblower.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And here we sit high and almost dry. It's supposed to SNOW in Montana, dang it! We have had drought conditions for the last 5 years and it doesn't look like it's going to let up this year either. It is spooky though when we do get snow. There are so many people moving here that totally freak out with an inch of snow on the roads. Another irritation is those people too lazy to remove the snow from their windows ( or scrape them) and try to drive with a 6 inch hole to look through.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:42 AM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FORDLOVER1951- same here in minnesota, havent had a real winter in 5 years either. i dont mind it though, i work outdoors so it saves me some headache.

i cant imagine the headache all that snow must cause in crouded places like NY or Brooklyn.... ive never been there but i dont think theres too many places to push the snow out of the way? here we think it sucks when you have a big pile at the end of the driveway!

Old 12-07-2003, 10:44 AM
lovethosediesels
Senior User
It's actually pretty cool to drive I-95 after a big snowstorm. It's almost like driving through a tunnel of snow...LOL...the piles on the sides of the roads are about 6 ft tall. Fun stuff.

Quick Reply: nor'easter