1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Here goes nothing... Hauled home a new frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 05:30 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here goes nothing... Hauled home a new frame

Well, had a day off, and I stripped the body off my 79 F-150 so that I can use the frame for my 52 F-3. Turns out that I only will need to add 9 inches to the frame to get it to the proper wheelbase of 142 that I need. I may actually start laying out my cuts before the night is over. Wish me luck and I'll try and keep you all updated.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:40 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
So what ever happened to I'd like to retain as much as the original truck as possible?

Old 12-06-2003, 06:42 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
So what ever happened to I'd like to retain as much as the original truck as possible?
- I think that idea was cut off with the back of the cab Jon, did you ever get the stake pockets figured out? -4speed

Old 12-06-2003, 10:06 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
hey, so a guys not allowed to change his mind? I still think I can get it to look original from the outside =p

Anyways, just in from the garage. I think this is going to work out nicely. The only real major problem I can see will be getting the steering hooked up, but other than that I think all my engine to firewall and such clearances will come out alright. Just need to get the frame stretched and then I'll start fitting the body to it.

oh and 4speed, I have a good idea of how I wanna do the stake pockets, but haven't had time to wrok on it yet. I think I'm actually just going to make complete replacements out of fiberglass, for all 6 pockets (counting the 2 small middle ones)

Old 12-07-2003, 08:14 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Yo Cooter,

We can see your Twin I-beams

I'm with Nathan, where did this come from?

Old 12-07-2003, 09:23 AM
oilyowl
Junior User
Irondragon;

The twin I beam suspension will be worth the work, The frame swap seemes to be the way to go. I chickend out and kept the orig suspension, with discs, but wonder if I did the right thing.
When you get the cab on post pics.

Paul.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:36 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
A modern frame might work out just fine. It's just a shock coming from Iron Dragon. I just had this impression that it was the goal to look like it left the factory as an extended cab 50 years ago. A straight axle and vintage running gear is required to achieve that look.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:34 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
sorry if this came as a bit of a shock, but this isn't a new idea for me. I had actually been talking about doing it since the whole twin I-beam topic came up earlier this fall.

I think the reason for my change of mind was the fact of bad of shape my original frame is. its already been hacked by a previous owner, rewleded togeter, and actually has a few holes I can put my hand through. If I had to repair all this damage, in addition to all the mods I needed to do in order to stretch the frame, I really would question the structural integrety of the whole thing. Plus I really would like the added features of disc brakes and power steering.

My donor frame is one that I have actually already rebuilt. Was part of a daily driver I had, which has already given up its engine and transmission for my F-3. I figured I might as well use what I have available and with it, I should be able to make a safe, solid and driveable vehical.

I still do like the idea of making a truck that looks 100% stock, but even with my origianl idea, I wasn't going to have a stock driveline. Maybe once I get this one done, maybe I can track down another, more complete truck, and go for a 100% stock setup.

Oh, and Paul, once I can get the cab on the frame, I'll get some pics up. Currently my donor frame has the 5 bolt pattern, but I know I can easily swap on the 8 bolt rotors and calipers, in addition to a dana 60 rear.

Old 12-07-2003, 02:27 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Iron Dragon

Didn't really mean to come off as negative. It will most certainly be a little easier to drive with the modernization. How does the track width compare from F1 to 1979? I wouldn't have dreamed you could get stock type tires to clear the sheetmetal, without putting her way up in the air. I was thinking the 79 is a good 3 inches or so wider?

There I go sounding negative again but it's our job here to tell you what to look out for.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:05 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
just came in from doing some measurements. Measuring actual tire width, outside to outside, my F-3 has a width of 6 foot even in the rear, and just under 67 inches up front. My 79 has an even 6 foot front and back, and that is with some wider profile tires. So pretty much have a 5 inch differance to deal with up front. I think that with a set of narrower profile tires (which might look a lot more like bias plys) moderately backspaced rims, and the larger opening F-2/3 fenders, I don't see too much of a problem fitting it all together.

One other thing that may help with all of this, is that I have a lead on a yard that has some older, larger ford truck sheetmetal that I plan on checking out tommorrow. They possibly have an F-7,8 that would have the wider clip that would make this really easy. We'll see.

And don't worry fenders, I haven't taken any offense here, I knew full well that I was going to hear feedback, both good and bad from all of you. it makes sure I don't miss anything and do anything really stupid

Old 12-08-2003, 04:51 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jon,

Take some pictures when you cut the frame to add the nine inches. I'd like to see how that comes out...

Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck with the new frame, the 70s' F-150 were good, solid frames. A lot of people knock the Twin I Beam, but I owned and drove plenty of them and loved them. They were tough/durable suspensions and still gave a decent ride. I'll be glad to help anyway I can.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:06 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Vern, once I can get some work done, I'll get some pics up of the whole process. What I plan on doing is a z-cut in the frame, then using a filler piece with the same z-cut from a donor frame that I have, then use the diamond shaped reinforcement plates on the inside of the frame over the z-cuts. I may also end up boxing the stretched portion a foot or so past the cuts/welds in either direction. My hopes are that I can get to it in the next couple weeks now that my semester is over as of this week.

And Huntsman, I know the late 70's trucks were solid trucks. I've owned 2 79's and an 80, loved all 3 of them. I know I've heard some people not liking the twin I-beam, but I for one don't mind it. With the frame I'll be using, I have actually already gone through the entire front suspension and replaced all the old rubber bushing with some higher end urethane ones, that in and of itself should be a real improvement. Anyways, I'll let you guys know how it all goes soon I hope.