Oil & Lubrication  

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Syncro97
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Royal Purple

Has anyone used it ??? I've seen it. I thought it mostly promoted for hi-perf use. Quarter mile, weekend warrior type applications. Anyone used it in their truck or SUV?

Old 12-06-2003, 10:43 AM
austinpower
Junior User
Anyone? I was thinking about changing my diff. oil today and still don't know what to use. Was leaning towards RP.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Kingsun
Senior User
I'm planning to use their ATF when I get close to 30k miles.. I've researched on Royal Purple and like their products, however they are very expensive for me as an engine oil. I do 3k-4K oil changes and use MObil 1 10w-30w.. In two months my tranny and differential will be on Royal Purple.. I figure it will be worth since I plan to do 30k miles changes on them..n.b. I don't tow..

Old 12-06-2003, 11:17 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the technical data on their website. The oils look pretty good, but I was suprised at the rather low flash point on the 10w40. I had received a couple emails from them on another question and responded back asking what was going on with that flash point. Haven't heard back yet. Other than that, the purple color is a bit weird. I bought it just out of curiosity. If I decide to run synthitic, probably will go Valvoline.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:50 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RP is a very good quality oil. I run it (5w20) on my import tuner high rev car and it works great! Fuel mileage has increased by 1 and the power does seem impoved too. After doing an oil change...the oil came out very clean looking. Makes me feel good to see clean oil go in...and clean oil come out!

I haven't used it in my 1976 390 4x4 truck...cause I use Quaker State 4x4 10w40 and that works well for my truck. Plus...the 390 doesn't have a high rev limit and the cost associated would be to great...for any benefits.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-08-2003, 03:57 PM
nextel_cup_fan
Junior User
rp max gear

just ordered royal purple maxgear online, coundn't find anyone stocking 75w-140 which is what my rear ltd slip diff calls for. haven't heard anything bad about it. supposedly you don't need to add friction modifier to it, already has it. which leads me to this question - do i need to use 75w-90 without friction modifiers for my front diff?

Old 12-08-2003, 09:35 PM
austinpower
Junior User
Nextel_cup_fan,
I bought RP 75w-140 differential oil this past weekend at Napa.
I also bought RP synthetic transmission fluid.

Is the RP tranny fluid going to be ok for my 2002 F150 MANUAL tranny? I am going to change the manual tranny fluid this weekend, so I need some "ok's" before I start. The ATF fluid is synthetic and says it's recommended for transmissions requiring Dexron III or Mercon Fluids.

I was looking at the manual trany drain bolts this past weekend. What size are the bolts? I didn't have anything on-hand that fit so i have to buy something this weekend to fit the bolts.

I was also looking at the differential plug. It looks like a standard 3/8 drive, but mine didn't fit in there too well. What have you others used?

This weekend I will be putting RP synthetic ATF in the manual Ford and manual Saturn and putting RP synthetic gear oil in the Ford. Wish me luck.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:10 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
If I remember correctly the correct size for the drain is 24mm.

Old 12-09-2003, 04:48 PM
1BADF350_4XCREW7.3
Senior User
I changed both diffs 8000 miles ago to RP, and didn't use a friction additive - did not see it in the Ford manual for my application, only the weight numbers. It's diff fluid, don't know that I can tell you a 'value' on it over other lubes, but my NAPA guy had it on hand when I needed a change - timing wins out over $$. Darned stuff is real spendy though...

I also changed to aluminum diff covers at the same time - can't tell you about the drain plugs. As to the bolts, the Sterling rear cover is metric, the Dana50 fromt is not - but I remember popping the rear fill plug with a breaker bar (1/2"?) Not a lot of info, but hope it helps in your decision

Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 AM
crimsontide
Junior User
Royal Purple

Motor oil bible rated this oil at best mid pack............is this correct????

Old 12-11-2003, 09:24 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Don't know about their rating, but if I were to use synthetic oil, I'd probably go with some brand that doesn't dye their oil. That is kinda weird. What is the purpose of the dye? I'll stick with Valvoline for all my motor oil needs.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:43 AM
nextel_cup_fan
Junior User
What is the purpose of the dye?

my guess, marketing

Old 12-11-2003, 01:45 PM
crimsontide
Junior User
anyone got any long term use w/ this oil?? if so how is it doing

Old 12-11-2003, 02:12 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=3;t=001028

Shows a good Royal Purple UOA. Search at that forum and you should find a few other RP UOAs.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:39 PM
txtrucker1
New User
I have read some stuff about RP. They did a bunch of testing against leading brands. The thing that caught my eye was this quote:
"Royal Purple® continuously protects because it continuously adheres to metal parts—even after shutdown. Royal Purple withstands metal-to-metal contact because of its high film strength—a derivative of Synerlec®. By definition, film strength is a lubricant property that acts to prevent scuffing or scoring of metal parts. Royal Purple's film strength is up to 400% stronger than other oils. "

This alone is pretty amazing. Check out their web site if you want more infomation on their tests. http://www.royalpurple.com

Quick Reply: Royal Purple