Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2001, 10:55 AM
New User

wakeworld is starting off with a positive reputation.
Passenger Air Bag in Crew Cab

I just got a 2000 F350 Crew Cab and it doesn't have the switch to turn off the air bag for the front passenger seat. Not only that, but the guy I bought it from told me that he couldn't even get that option in the crew cab when he bought it new, but you could get it in the non-crew cab model. Is this true? Seems kind of ridiculous that I can't put my newborn in the front seat where I can see him as opposed to the back seat where I'll have no idea what he's up to. Especially when the switch has already been designed for the non-crew cab model. Is there any way to add a switch to this thing?

Dave
Old 07-26-2001, 04:54 PM
Senior User

460v10 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Its true. You could probably add the switch, and barring any problems, it might work just fine. BUT, Ford liability would cease at the time of the change. Would it be worth the trouble? Probably not. Better to follow most, if not all, manufacturers guidelines stating to put the child carrier in the back seat, where it belongs.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:04 PM
New User

Am I the only one that thinks that's really ridiculous on Ford's part? I bought a vehicle with six seats, yet I can't take a drive with my four children. It's like somebody at Ford decided that if I have more than three kids I'm not allowed to have a pickup.

Dave
Old 07-26-2001, 06:09 PM
Postmaster

V10man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

It's not Ford's idea it's the Federal Governments! You can get a form to fill out and have the switch installed I believe. It's a major PITA if you know what I mean. You have to prove you need the switch installed. 4+ kids would work. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:27 AM
New User

So is there a law that says you can't have a switch in a crew cab, but you can in a regular cab? I have one in my 1999 Dodge Quad Cab which has the same number of seats (just a little smaller in back). Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess that's not the first law on the books that doesn't make sense. :-)

Dave
Old 07-31-2001, 02:16 AM
New User

JustinW is starting off with a positive reputation.

In some states it is illegal to place infants in the front seats. Fords not to blame for this, as ford does make another vehicle to carry all your children, this is called a windstar minivan. Your children are your life, dont risk injury to them for there sake of riding in a truck's front seat.Place them safely in the back. If you were to buy a non crew cab, what would you have done with all the other children then? Look into your local laws on child restraint systems.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:07 AM
Senior User

narcicus is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm with Dave. I was P.O'D the deactivation switch exists in supercabs but not crew cabs. I didn't realize it until after I bought mine. Lets analyze this. I don't know of any cars this switch exists in yet it exists in the supercab trucks. Why? Because the rear seat in supercabs wasn't designed for car seats so you have no choice but to put them in the front hence the need to deactivate the air bag. This was the case when I bought my last supercab. Too bad I didn't find this out until after I bought the truck. I bought the crew cab for the seating with 3 kids in mind. What do I do when I have to put in 4 kids? Put 1 in front at risk of being killed from the airbag or leave one unbuckled in the back seat? Obviously I should have bought a minivan. Maybe I will when they come with offroad and snowplow packages.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:51 AM
New User

Yukon Man is starting off with a positive reputation.

Well this is a VERY sore subject with me. I have a 99' F350 SD CREW CAB, 4x4. I also wanted to put my kids in the front seat but because of the lack of the Air Bag Deactivation Switch I always put them in the back. But to any one who thinks I'm jeopardizing my kids life by putting them in the front seat (without the air bag), well let's just say you know where you can go. I'll be damned if my kids are in more danger in the front seat of my very large truck than any kids in the back of a little econobox mini van or car. Has anyone seen what happens to a little mini van when it gets hit from the side? I have and I know my truck will sustain far far less damage in the same collision. I know there will be some of you know-it-alls out there that will try to tell me how bad of a parent I am for this. I really don't give a you know what. Go preach to some one who cares. If we want the best for our kids maybe we should pass legislation that requires 5 point restraints, roll cages, and helmets for our kids. All three are very doable options. And aren't they worth the extra cost? After all, they are our kids and we do love them so much. Be serious, life is full of suprises and we can't protect everyone all the time from every thing. I love my kids more than anything but just use common sense!!!

Does anyone know about our wonderful California State Senator Jackie Speiers who sponsered a bill that was signed into law that as of Jan. 1st, 2002 all kids 6 years and younger and 60 lbs and lighter will be required to use a booster seat (or child seat if the child falls under the current law). Current law requires any child 4 years and younger and 40 lbs and lighter to be in a child seat. I think she may have stock in the child seat companies. She also knows what's best for all of us. What would we do without her immense unwaivering knowledge??? GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK!!!

I do apologize for my digression but like I said, it's a sore subject with me. Any subject is a sore one where the Government keeps restricting and regulating our lives. And to all of you who actually read this, this is not a troll to inflame readers/members and start an argument. I'm just passionate about some things.

Old 08-01-2001, 09:29 PM
Senior User

red99sdv10 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Chances are the wiring is there for the switch , Ive found wires for everything else that wasnt on the truck but was on some others,
as far as safety , Ill have to agree that a truck is much safer than an econo box car
Old 08-06-2001, 08:29 PM
Freshman User

JS is starting off with a positive reputation.

It sounds like a lot of you are using F-350's as your one and only family car. Are you? I know a lot of people use F-150's like that. But I'm surprised to see F-350's in that application.

Mine's strictly a work truck. If I'm moving people, I use my Saturn. If I'm moving large amounts of stone or broken concrete, I get the F-350 out. For the number of miles I drive in a year the difference between 35 MPG and 10 MPG makes it worth the insurance, registration, and maintenance costs of keeping two vehicles.

-- J.S.

Old 08-07-2001, 12:21 AM
New User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-Aug-01 AT 01:21 AM (EST)[/font][p]I have the F350 and a Corolla. I bought the F350 to tow my boat and for family vacations (I really only needed a 250, but got it used). I drive an hour to and from work, so I use the Corolla for that. My wife stays home with the kids, so she uses the F350 for her errands around town, which doesn't amount to many miles. I don't think I could justify a third car in this situation, but I could justify a passenger side air bag on/off switch!!!!! :-)

Dave
Old 08-07-2001, 01:55 PM
Freshman User

JS is starting off with a positive reputation.

Dave --

It sounds like your town has ample parking for large vehicles. I could run errands in the F-350, but I'd almost always let them wait until I could use the Saturn, just because for every ten parking places I can find where the Saturn would fit, there's maybe one big enough for the F-350. If I really had to, I'd call ahead and make sure there was going to be parking for it. It's getting so it's not just a truck, it's a special event. ;-)

-- J.S.

Old 08-07-2001, 11:31 PM
Senior User

red99sdv10 is starting off with a positive reputation.

actually since jan 15 when I got my psd 250 , it has only sat a total of 15 days , a few while I did the guages , a week while i did the stereo and air bags, and some while the camper was on.
I have over 8000 miles in a little over 7 months , I have had the truck to ohio a few times , maryland , wv, breezewood, pa
and a few other places.
it is also my daily driver , or if I dont have it my wife does.
yes parking is a problem esp with a supercab /8'bed but thats what the end of the lot is for (walking dont hurt )
my truck is the nicest and newest I own , I take it every where, there is no place that I havent gone because of it .
I pay enough a month to have it I am sure as the heck gonna use it

Old 08-08-2001, 01:58 PM
Senior User

rob_n_houston is starting off with a positive reputation.

Ford did it for a simple reason. You can put the car seat in the back. Last I heard there was a company that would do it. After filing the proper forms they would come to your house and do the install. About $500 if I recall. search the history here and at ford-diesel.com. You should find the info.

Yukon Man,

I'm not sure why your ranting so. But first you say no way you'd put your kids in the front...then you say they're safer in the front than a minivan. I think I know where your going but the airbag is the main reason for moving kids to the back. Not the safety of the vehicle itself. But I see the point your making.

And I don't agree with everything the Gov puts on us. I'd rather them stay out. But in some cases...seatbelts for one, being buckled up could save a life.

Good Luck,
Rob
Old 08-10-2001, 11:10 PM
New User

Yukon Man is starting off with a positive reputation.

rob_n_houston,

First you say your not sure why I'm ranting so, then you say you see the point I'm making. If you see the point I'm making you should know why I'm ranting so. Get it? ;-) If you read my post more carefully you would read that I didn't say I would "no way" put my kids in the front seat and then say they're safer in the front than a minivan. That is somewhat taking what I said out of context. Read it again. Because there is no shut-off switch I don't put them in the front seat - if there was I would put them there. As far as being safer than a minivan, only if there was a shut-off switch. My point....It should be our decision, not the governments, to decide which seat we put our children in. And, I know the airbag is the main reason for putting them in the back seat...hence the usefullness of a shut-off switch maybe???

I knew when I posted the first "rant", I may start something that was inappropriate for this message board. Maybe I should'nt have.
I guess I'm just passionate about keeping the government out of our lives as much as possible. Can you tell I'm not a Liberal? If anyone wants to respond to this rant, do so. I'll keep my fingers off the keyboard and take the hit.

P.S.
I wish I had a shut-off switch from the factory and not have to pay someone $500 to install one. ;-)

Old 08-10-2001, 11:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2000, 2001, airbag, crew, crewcab, disarm, f250, ford, fuse, passenger