Notices

New Detroit TrueTracs

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 07:01 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Detroit TrueTracs

Just in case anyone is interested... I recently bought new TrueTracs for both ends of my '79, and I'm regearing from 3.50 to 4.11. I just got the rear put in, and man, what a difference! My truck has SO much more power now that it's geared the way it should be. But, it's much harder to light the tires up than it was before, so I think the TrueTrac is doing its job.

I'm waiting to try it out off-road until I get the front done, should be next week. I'll post the results of my test, gonna go test it out on some snow-covered hills I was running when I decided to do this.

BTW, Ford 9" rear, Dana 44 front.

Keep on Truckin'!

Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Woah! Like de ja vu...I saw this post somewhere else...or was it one beer to many....

Old 12-04-2003, 11:30 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
haha... I think I had one beer too many

Old 12-21-2003, 10:18 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Well, finally got to test out the new diffs today... man, what a difference! I went and did some hill climbing in the snow w/ my father-in-law. He has a '76 Bronco 302 auto with aggressive mud tires & open diffs. My truck went everywhere his Bronc went, and then some.

Some of the hills I climbed today, I couldn't even make it up them before. I just sat and watched while Dad climbed in his Bronc and snickered. These same hills are now so easy, all I had to do was drop in low range and idle right up them. The Truetracs MAKE A DIFFERENCE. We never once noticed any single tire spinning, the torque was always equally biased.

It also started snowing on the way home, and the roads got slick. So I got to see how the road manners were on ice. Most would agree that open diffs are the way to go on icy roads, but not me after today. With the open diffs, my rear end had a tendency to try swapping ends on me a few times. With the new truetracs, my tires will still spin, but the rear doesn't try to slide sideways.

Bottom line... two thumbs up and money well spent!

Old 12-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Montana Bronco
Senior User
You made a smart move.

Detroit Tru-Tracs are very high quality.

And upgrading your gears was also very smart. You will enjoy your rig so much more.

Don't listen to the people who talk about lockers/posi being bad in in snow & ice. It have a Detroit locker, and I live in Montana.