1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 04:17 PM
hotstik
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The air conditioning on my 2000 F-250 Powerstroke 4x4 randomly fails in hot weather. Specifically, the AC will seem to be working normally (in normal AC or max AC) and then it will suddenly switch to the defrost vents and blow hot air. If driving for an extended period the problem will last for about 2 hours, and if the the truck is parked, the AC usually works the next day. This problem has only occurred in temperatures above 85 degrees. I have taken the truck to two different ford dealerships on five occasions. In each instance, they have told me that nothing is wrong. I would greatly appreciate any information or thoughts that anyone might have about this problem. Thanks!!!

Old 01-07-2003, 07:50 PM
PSD_Power
Elder User

I cant help you but I would like to know what the heck your doin with your air conditioning this time of year???

Justin
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=9313&.jpg
http://members.lycos.nl/dukesofhazzard/dukeslogo.JPG

2002 F-350 SC LB 4X4 6SPD PSD. 3.73 gears. 2.5" leviling kit. K&N air filter. Rhino lined Bed. Prodigy trailer brake controler. 35x12.5x16.5 BFG A/T. 16.5x10 ultra wheels. pop up gooseneck hitch and firestone airbag spring helpers. Reese fifth wheel hitch for my new toy hauler. Superchips microtuner.

As of 1/05/03 Single and looking Any single females around?? (hey I gotta do what I gotta do)

Old 01-07-2003, 07:58 PM
jlande
Senior User

My air conditioning is working great, here in Minnesota! Although it was a record breaking 52 degrees today. Hello global warming!

Old 01-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

>I cant help you but I would like to know what the heck your
>doin with your air conditioning this time of year???
>

LOL, up here the AC is just cracking the window a bit.
>
>As of 1/05/03 Single and looking Any single females
>around?? (hey I gotta do what I gotta do)

There's a few single females around here. The frozen chosen, it's not as bad as it sounds, they do a good job of keeping you warm at night.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:11 PM
hotstik
New User

I live in Southern California and the temp was close to 90 degrees today! Having the AC die yet again really sucked! Anyways, any ideas or info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Jan-03 AT 09:31 PM (EST)]Does it seem to happen shortly after the truck warms up. You say it happens randomly, is there any chance it is tied to some event that you haven't pinned down yet. Do you have to park it overnight to work the next day or will a few hours of cool down time do the trick?
I'm not an expert in that field, but answering those questions just might help out the person who is when they read the post.

Personally I think you are losing vacuum somewhere, I have to drive a chevy blazer for work that often won't switch over to defrost from the vents without revving the engine to 5000 RPMs (i.e. lower vacuum at higher RPMs switches that system to defrost from vents) Not sure if the temperature change could be explained by that though.

P.S. We didn't mean to make light of your problem. We just get a little carried away here sometimes, hang around long enough and you'll find out for yourself. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people on this forum that are great at helping out. Just a matter of time until the right one reads the post. We are glad to have you around. Welcome, kick your shoes off, make yourself at home. Great group of people here, you'll enjoy it.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:28 PM
hotstik
New User

It always happens after I have been driving for a while. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is city or highway driving, or whether I am towing or taking it easy. The only common trait among the failures is that it has been hot out. Also, the truck has to sit overnight for the problem to correct itself. Sitting for just s few hours (2-3) won't do the trick. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

I edited my post above while you were typing your response, read the paragraph in the middle about the blazer.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:48 PM
hotstik
New User

I think insufficient vacuum is a likely suspect. The first week I had the truck, a vacuum hose popped off and caused the AC to switch to defrost. However, this was an easily solved problem as the symptoms were very obvious. The vacuum hose that popped off was visible behind the glove box and the AC was stuck on defrost for the three days. The ford tech guys could see and solve the problem. The current AC problem is far more random. In hot weather, the AC will sometimes work fine, while at other times, in the exact same conditions, it will die. Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Vaccuum
Senior User

Hey, I had a Chevy who's AC never failed.
No excuses. The A/C has to work WHENEVER you want it to. PERIOD!
You paid good money for it.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and try to explain it away with any type of "technical mumbo-jumbo."
I have a 2002 F-250, and that A/C barely does the trick.
Mike

Old 01-08-2003, 02:28 PM
hotstik
New User

I agree that the AC should work whenever it's needed. However, in my case, it does not. As such, any help that anyone can provide towards diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru

Old 01-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

Hmmm, no takers? Might want to try the Heating, Ventilation, and A/C forum. Not as much activity there but might find someone smarter about those sytems in that one. Might get lucky.