1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug stripping problems & Plug blowout!!!

Old 04-17-2004, 08:07 AM
redbull660
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put mine in when the engine was cold, I am going to retorque them after about 10000 miles to be on the safe side. thanks

Old 04-17-2004, 10:31 AM
DavidE200016936
Freshman User
Exclamation A warning sign of trouble

Originally Posted by redbull660
I put mine in when the engine was cold, I am going to retorque them after about 10000 miles to be on the safe side. thanks
For about 3000 miles before my plug blew out, on idle it sounded like a lifter tick, but being OHC that was impossible, and while driving on highway it sounded like the exhaust doughnut was leaking. Both noises were fixed after the plug blew out and replaced. SO if you hear the ticking investigate!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM
natethegreat_2005
New User
ok, i know this is a real old thread, but i just want to confirm that last comment for anyone reading this. There was an extra "sound" at idle for a little over a month before my plug blew. would have been nice to know that before hand. I usually do all of my own mechanic work, but i was out of town and my dad had my truck when it happened. friend of mine tried looked at it and tried to re-tap the thread, but couldn't get to it. When i got home, i just started pulling the motor apart and when i got the air intake out of the way, i re-tapped the hole to a bigger size and added the insert. Now i have to figure out how to put everything back together.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:46 PM
joe chevy
Elder User
```````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by joe chevy; 12-29-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: prev post deleted
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, this whole thread is really old news if you read the V10 forum, including the fellow who comes in to do the work. I don't recall any negative comments about him in the V10 forum over the last five years, and in fact some comments were very favorable.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:31 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Yeah, this thread is from almost 5 years ago, and last post was more than a year ago. The "spark plug doctor" is digging up old threads and pushing his services and not a sponsor, so his posts had to go. Sorry... site rules.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 PM
FireFighter12105
Junior User
I just had the same issue happen tonight on my V10 SD, 4th plug back from the front passenger side.

Had a ticking sound that sounded like an exhaust leak for the last 3 days and couldn't find where it was coming from... Well I found it today while hauling a tractor and the plug let loose.

Does anyone know of the correct way to repair this so I dont run in to the same issue again or do anymore damage then is already done?

It blew out the plug and shattered the coil pack, I was running about 2500RPM up a hill when it blew out.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 PM
FireFighter12105
Junior User
Originally Posted by spark plug doctor
It's a simple fix - have someone install a time sert for you - done deal!
If you live close to windsor ON I'll do it for you.

Frank
Unfortunately they won't let me cross the border without a passport lol.

I'm going to see if I can find somewhere local that sells the time serts and see how hard it looks and go from there, I can't afford to pay ford top dollar to fix something they know is an issue and wont do anything about.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FireFighter12105
Unfortunately they won't let me cross the border without a passport lol.

I'm going to see if I can find somewhere local that sells the time serts and see how hard it looks and go from there, I can't afford to pay ford top dollar to fix something they know is an issue and wont do anything about.
You improperly serviced your truck, NOT Ford.That's why the plug "blew out".
You're failing to mention that YOU changed the plugs 2500 miles ago.
Hopefully you have more luck then I have, I changed plugged about 2500 miles ago and finally had one decide to let loose of the third cylinder back from the front on the passenger side. It's looking like an expensive fix.
JL

Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
FireFighter12105
Junior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
You improperly serviced your truck, NOT Ford.That's why the plug "blew out".
You're failing to mention that YOU changed the plugs 2500 miles ago.
JL
I'd like to know how, changed them at 101,000 miles when they recomend 100,000 miles. Torqued them to the specs the service manager at ford told me to and the admitted to knowing theres a problem with them\. I can gurantee you this will be the last Ford I ever buy new or own.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
I'd like to know how, changed them at 101,000 miles when they recomend 100,000 miles. Torqued them to the specs the service manager at ford told me to and the admitted to knowing theres a problem with them\. I can gurantee you this will be the last Ford I ever buy new or own.
In well over a million miles driven on an assortment of different modulars, with many in the 200K+ miles range, I have NEVER had a problem with spark plugs-EVER.
NONE of the trucks in our fleet has ever had a problem with a spark plug.
Every single instance of spark plug "blowout" that I've dealt with was the fault of the installer whether it be the original engine assembly line worker, or the guy changing them at a later date. I have never seen a properly installed spark plug on a modular "blow out"-it's that simple.
The problem you have was listening to the service manager. The only times I have ever seen problems was when people were using a torque wrench on these, or if they were driving around with the engine detonating like crazy.
JL

Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
The only times I have ever seen problems was when people were using a torque wrench on these, SNIP
I think you meant NOT using a torque wrench...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Krewat
I think you meant NOT using a torque wrench...
Nope, I meant it exactly as I typed it. Using a torque wrench on these plugs is asking for a problem. The largest percentage of the people out there are NOT using a torque wrench that has been recently calibrated(hell, most don't even know they have to be calibrated regularly), and the get banged around in the shop or used on things like lug nuts,and then people expect them to be accurate at the lower end of the scale on something like aluminum cylinder heads.
JL

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I never use a torque wrench on plugs except my outboards where I can get an accurate torque, all others snugged by feel. Regardless if the wrench is calibrated properly or not I'm not seeing how you get an accurate torque without using the proper lube, especially on a tapered seat plug. Then add in the confined space and inability to get a straight shot on all plugs.

Your going to have a hard time finding anyone local that sells the timesert kits. They will only have the junk Helicoil kits. Most dealers do not install the Timeserts, they install some inferior knockoff or want to pull the head. What dealer did you go to, Manderbach? Best bet is to order a Timesert kit off the internet but they are not cheap. They also have to be installed properly with ALL shavings removed from the cylinder.

Sorry to say your plugs were more than likely installed too loose, came loose and one launched.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Nope, I meant it exactly as I typed it. Using a torque wrench on these plugs is asking for a problem. The largest percentage of the people out there are NOT using a torque wrench that has been recently calibrated(hell, most don't even know they have to be calibrated regularly), and the get banged around in the shop or used on things like lug nuts,and then people expect them to be accurate at the lower end of the scale on something like aluminum cylinder heads.
JL
OK, I regularly calibrate my torque wrenches

One thing to remember is to remove all tension when storing them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug stripping problems & Plug blowout!!!