Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BELT for Smog Pump Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:40 AM
91f2504x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile BELT for Smog Pump Delete

I just thought I would post this information to help anyone else that was wanting to do what i done, I searched all over this forum and could never get the actual belt size I would need if removing my smog pump. After a couple trips to the parts store I found it. My truck is a 1990 F250 4x4 5.8l 5 Speed with a/c and all the other standard accesories and after removing the smog pump a Kelly Springfield 915k6 fits perfect and puts the tensioner right in the operating range. I do not have cats so removing this did not harm anything it actually helped , for one it got rid of that awfull popping from the exhaust when downshifting and clutching at High rpms, I guess that was caused by the extra air introduced into the exhaust by the Smog pump. And it seemed to have freed up a little bit of HP because it accellerates faster now.
And while I was removing the smog pump I took off the manifolds and put on a set of headers , and while I had all the exhaust pulled off I went ahead and pulled the engine , ran through it and replaced everything from cam to bearing to timing set , even went with a set of forged pistons and than decided to go with a turbocharger setup to match the forged pistons. I am pushing 10 psi of boost into the motor with aftermarket injectors and 255 lph fuel pumps and Vortech fmu, msd BTM and TO4 Air research turbo , I am seeing around 400 Hp with 500+++ ft lbs of torque , no detonation problems at all as long as I run 93 and keep an ear ready if I need to adjust the MSD BTM (in case I get som crappy gas). I guess I get a little carried away with engine work , but once I get under the hood I don't quit until everything is 150%better. love the sound of the turbo on a gas motor , I haven't got exhaust on it yet planning on going with a single 3 out the back or maybe a single 3 to 2 2 1/2"s not sure, depends on how loud it is once I start driving it. right now I plan on going with open exhaust but might be a little loud.

Old 11-28-2003, 01:36 PM
90f150moneypit
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!!

I will be using my serp belt system when I build my new motor and I will use that belt. (Many people have asked what belt will work).