Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The DODGE forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 08:52 AM
da cubs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DODGE forum

I get kinda sick seeing all these dodge commercials, and I decided to check the 'other' forum to see what the Dodge folks have to say. I knew their transmissions were bad, but WOW. I can't believe the amount of complaints on their transmissions.

There were a lot of threads saying to bypass the stack transcooler to an auxilliary one because the stock one clogs all the time, burning out thet trans.

I am SO GLAD that I laughed when my friend told me to use his Chrysler Employee discount!

Old 11-28-2003, 12:13 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 339 Likes on 206 Posts
There was an article in Four Wheeler magazine this month about the new Durango. The article said one of the things they've always loved about the Durango is the dependable transmissions. At that point, I knew the rest of the magazine was going to be trash from people who have no clue what they are talking about so I tossed it. I mean, what a joke. Everyone knows Dodge trannys are junk. There's no need to lie about it, esp. in a magazine.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:13 PM
RYR88
Junior User
It's all relative though. If I go to the Explorer forum here on FTE, all I see are tranny problems also. Every vehicle has there weakness, not only Dodge and Chevy, but Ford too.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:46 PM
hifiwasabi
Senior User
I'm with him, the torque-flite (I dont remember the current name for it) is like a million years old and back in the day, the car usually died before the tranny. I can sure recall a certain firestone incedent with a certain SUV...(Explorer)

Old 11-29-2003, 07:19 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 339 Likes on 206 Posts
1.) What do Firestone tires have to do with Ford trucks? If a tire blows out because it's defective, it doesn't give a rat's *** what type of vehicle it's on, it's going to blow. I'm sick of people linking the Explorer with that incident. You could have put those tires on a car, truck, bike, whatever you wanted and they would have self-destructed just the same.

2.) What do Firestone tires have to do with the junky transmissions Dodge is using in their trucks? This guy was talking about the trannys in Dodges. And I hear stories of Dodge trannies going dead every week. Ford (and even GM) do not have that problem nearly as severely as Dodge. When the automatic transmission failing on your product is a COMMON issue like with the Dodges, that's when people start talking.

Old 11-29-2003, 07:26 PM
RYR88
Junior User
What about the A4LD used in Aerostars and Explorers? I'm not bashing Ford, I had an F-150 for two years and had 52K on it, no problems at all. The torque-flite and its' derivatives such as the 44RE and 46RE used in Jeeps is very reliable. Go to allpar.com, it lists Mopar vehicles with over 200K on them. Plenty are Dodges, some have tranny rebuilds, but many have tons of mileage on their original powertrains. I'm sure if you ask some people, they'll say Dodge trannys are blowing up every day. Ask another person, and they'll say Fords and GM's are having tons of problems. All I'm trying to say is that their is no factual statistic for tranny failures between brands. It's one person's word over anothers. Show me facts and statistics between the three brands, not who's neighbor experienced a problem, etc.., and I'll be impressed. Just my $0.02.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:31 PM
hifiwasabi
Senior User
Take it easy WXboy, I, like everybody else on here was simply stating a point. I do realise that Firestone tires have nothing to do with Ford longevity and such and was merely a design flaw in the tire itself. HOWEVER, those tires did put a dent in Ford's rep (at least here) with the exploder and as good a vehicle as it is, the tires never really were able to cope with soccer moms and parking lot obstacles. But seriously, about the old Tourque-flites, if you dont drive one, why worry? I mean, half of them are junked quick but the new Dodge 5 speed auto should be able to ultimately last as long as the engine itself. Besides, every auto company has shortcomings in vehicles. Nothing is perfect.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:37 AM
dman01
Senior User
I hope that Dodge puts the MB auto behind the new 325 HP cummins. it is a 5speed auto that is used in the MB trucks.
The auto Dodge has right now is the 48re 4speed auto.
DM01

Old 12-08-2003, 08:19 AM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Im not trying to bash ford or anything.

This Saturday I took my Bronco to my local ford dealer for an allignment. While I was waiting I saw 12 Ford Explorers come in for service. That was in a 4 hour time period!!! So that shows me that the new Explorers are pretty much junk!!!

Old 12-08-2003, 08:19 PM
mgazak
Laughing Gas
Originally posted by bronco351
Im not trying to bash ford or anything.

This Saturday I took my Bronco to my local ford dealer for an allignment. While I was waiting I saw 12 Ford Explorers come in for service. That was in a 4 hour time period!!! So that shows me that the new Explorers are pretty much junk!!!
What does that prove when Ford sells 400,000+ of them per year? And what type of service, was it real problems or just maintenance?

My $.02

Old 12-09-2003, 08:09 AM
bronco351
Posting Guru
It was real problems, I talked to one guy he had a 2003 explorer Sport. His Explorer was running real rough as soon as he starts it in the morning. The mechanics could not find his problem.

Another guy I over heard talking with the service advisor was compaining that his brake pedal was falling off.... they had to replace the ENTIRE assembly!!

Also what does this prove.... it proves the explorer is junk. Why... this is just one dealership in a 4 hour period. THere was probablt another 10 that came in that day for service. Times that by the soo many dealerships in America. THat equals alot of explorers that are junk!!

Old 12-09-2003, 09:26 AM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it true that ford owns cummins, or atleast 51 percent of the company or something like that?

Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 PM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Yes Ford does own 100% of that company!! They sort of leased it over to Dodge. Ford is supposed to end the lease and start using it in there trucks....come the 2005 model year Trucks!!

Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 AM
dayjavu
New User
Ford does not own cummins.

http://cummins.com/na/pages/en/produ...0880C4A8F00000

Ford owners say this to make themselves feel better

Old 12-10-2003, 12:56 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did that rumor start?