1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New wheels from Santa??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 03:30 PM
goodmom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wheels from Santa??

I need some help! This is what we have: 53 f-100. I have a 9" Ford out of a 72 Mustang 61.25". We are doing an axle flip to lower it, with stock springs, bed, and fenders. The front end will get a mustang II with 2" drop spindles-eventually. He is wanting 17" wheels. I am wanting to stay with the same wheels front and back so I can rotate them. (Not that momma's little angle son would ever burn rubber!) If I understand it correctly, this would mean 17x7's?? But what backspacing? Also what would be the widest tire that we could use? Thanks

Old 11-26-2003, 03:51 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I cant answer any of your questions, BUT, If you're buying wheels for JR's truck you have used the wrong name for yourself! It should be GREATMOM!

Glad to see you're involved with your sons project!

Kevin Bigwin

Old 11-26-2003, 07:28 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Mom

There is no way I would attempt purchase big rims and tires (expensive) until after the mods that affect it are installed. You need the front suspension installed at ride height and then get out the tape measure. There are too many things that can happen that will slightly affect clearance. Based on my experience trying to stuff large tires, I think you are correct to assume that you will have to run 7" width on a 17" rim (front). Especially if you are dropping the front much. I have 15-8s and they are tight. They don't rub but it's close on a tight turn. Choosing the proper rim backset will be critical. This applies on the rear as well. You want to make sure you center in the wheel wells and it gets tight with a 255-275 width. If you run big tires, I bet you end up with different size rims for the front and rear for proper best fit.