Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.
View Poll Results: are you tired of the boxy look of Fords today?
curves or the same boxy look?
42.86%
the newer shape of Ford or the old?(fast back, fat fedres) e.tc.
14.29%
chevy and doge are way ahead in moving the old into the new?
42.86%
or do the designers at Ford lack the vision?
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

2004 chevy, blast from the past!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 10:37 AM
forddytube
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2004 chevy, blast from the past!

chevy did it .i just been wondering why ford is always behind in comming out with creativity when it comes to styling .
i can't remeber the name of the new 2004 chevy that looks like an old fat fender/pt cruiser yet it's a pickup.
why can't ford keep up with the pace and bring out the old f-150, something they should have done on the 2003 aniversary. for some reason we are stuck on that tired boxy look like the 2004 f-150 and excurssion e.t.c. chevy and dodge seem to have a better hang on style and the trend always .
ford needs to loose the boxy look and fall back to the more stylish look .

Old 11-25-2003, 12:54 PM
mattsf250
Elder User
FLAME BAIT.

have you ever seen the SSR in person?
we had one come off the truck last friday, and i nearly puked! it is a sick, sick, nasty looking pile of garbage. really hideous.
do not go by the concept, see the real deal for a great laugh.

as for your last comment, obviously what they are doing being number 1 and all

ohh, and have you even seen an 03 and later chivy truck? HWARF!

Old 11-25-2003, 01:26 PM
forddytube
Elder User
i don't think i set up my poll right ,sorry . try to mention in your reply if you are for the tired boxy look we have now or not.

and if you agree that fords designers lack the vission to see the past and bring it to the now.

don't get me wrong now ,i am ford man, my first car ride was in a "ford D SERIES" in Rhodesia on the 27 january 1970 at 5:37 am when my mom was rushed to hospital to born me, so i am a ford man! we can't keep swallowing everything they botch up together, we gotta say something and hopefully we'll have another Karoll Shelby come by again.

Last edited by forddytube; 11-25-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:23 PM
mattsf250
Elder User
i understand where your coming from, i just disagree.

i think MOST of fords products right now are great!

cars i think are true standouts:

Lincoln LS
99-04 Stangs
'05 Stang
Ford GT
'04 F150
99-04 SD
current Thunderbird
the whole lineup of Jags! (none finer since the XK's)
current exploder
current expo's
Lincoln Aviator

What I hate:

All Foci !!!!(FUGLY!)
windstar/freestar
the whole mercury lineup!
Taurus
NEARLY all Volvos (cept that one bad **** one)

ambivilant about:

Excursion (just don't do it for me)
Ranger (same as above)
ZX2 still in production???

as for shelby, rumor has it there will be a shelby 05, or 06 mustang!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2003, 04:24 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Ford designers, IMO have done a good job lately of building off past designs, maybe not in their trucks, but the mustangs draw many design cues from the 60's and the T-Bird, even though it wasn't super succesfull, I though was a gorgeous car. As far as the F-150 oges, I think it is the best looking truck out there. The only thing I don't like style wise is the high belt line that the taller box creates. Besides the SSR is only a limited production model I believe, and it's not really a truck. The should have called it an El Camino because that's as close to a truck as it is. It also seems to me that Ford took a lot of criticism about the 97-03 look for being to soft iin design. It comes down to what you like and I think the new one is a winner

Old 11-25-2003, 04:44 PM
forddytube
Elder User
i must agree there ag4.0 that they should have called it an el camino.
the new mustangs, i don't know... it's a ford but ...looo
k at the new impala or monte carlo, does'nt that just bring back them good ol days.
2004 or 5 mustang is hot stuff, i saw it on phrtv (sema) now there i can smell alot of going back to the best days of ford, i think it's a GTR or GT.i love ford for the history it has taken us through and the now kinda got lost somewhere.
now the new T- BIRD is what i am talking about, thats going back full circle and comming back even harder than b4.
taurus and them just don't do it for me ...but... it's a ford.

Old 11-25-2003, 05:47 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my take on the subject. SO far Chrysler has proved to be the most successful in designing vehicles that look different from the norm. They seem to be able make new styles work, and other companies seem to follow on the trend. I feel that ford is getting better with the release of the the GT, but I hate the styling of their 97 up F150's. The 97-03 looks like a minivan cut off, and the 04 looks bloated and overweight to me. The high belt line as mentioned before is what I think contributes to this. THe superduties are good looking though. I would personally like to see a design of the 92-96 F trucks as they are the best looking. As to GM, they really cant build any one off designs without making it lok like doo-doo. The Aztec, ssr, 03up cheby trucks (GMC versions do look good). These are my opinions and I stick by em.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:03 AM
hyepwrd
Senior User
the SSR is one overpriced ugly thing...i'm sorry but i cant imagine a world that doesn't love the new thunderbirds paying the same amount, if not more, for that VW pickup looking thing.
i dont mean for it to sound like i'm flaming on them, but the design and style really is ugly to me.

Old 11-26-2003, 05:05 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well since were chatting here about FUGLY SSR, which I don't really like,,what about that new Durango,,kinda looks like they placed a Caravan, back on the new Dodge nose, just from what I see on there new commercial,,,and is it me, or when they open the hood on the new Durango when dad says " Can you say Hemi", it looks like you can hardly see the motor !! Just the word,, HEMI,,LOL,,
Later,,,,,,,,,,,Mark

Old 11-26-2003, 05:36 AM
hyepwrd
Senior User
Originally posted by m350
Well since were chatting here about FUGLY SSR, which I don't really like,,what about that new Durango,,kinda looks like they placed a Caravan, back on the new Dodge nose, just from what I see on there new commercial,,,and is it me, or when they open the hood on the new Durango when dad says " Can you say Hemi", it looks like you can hardly see the motor !! Just the word,, HEMI,,LOL,,
Later,,,,,,,,,,,Mark
yeah, those durangos were pretty decent til they came out with this one.

the XUV is what gets me...supposedly a top that opens up all the way, making the suv into a pickup with really large beds.

maybe they should have talked to some guys who truck heavy loads with their trucks before doing that...a regular full size pickup truck will have the tailgate closing problems with just a little weight/pressure on the beds walls...the leverage of having a big suv sized wall is going to make those 'xuv's all warp while still under warranty.
and thats why they cant match the 10 year/100,000 miles

Old 11-26-2003, 09:23 AM
forddytube
Elder User
well the whole thing about bring back that hemi loggo is an attempt to bring back the past, where ford can't seem to go with an exception of the t-bird and maybe the 04 stang.
chrysler is definately doing something right.
new durango sucks, but the whole concept of bringing back the best days of of yesterday is what the new generation wants.do we got start running rum again to to get creative?
i like the shape of the 03 big ram and it's stance ,other than that ,nothing more.

Old 11-26-2003, 09:31 AM
forddytube
Elder User
i love ford like i said , what i don't overstand is why haven't we brought back the ol Fat Fender, WHY ?.you gotta be one who has an eye for art to appreciate the artistry of that period.RANCH WAGON e.t.c
ok, let me get out your hidden artistic vission... picture and old 56 f-150 with all the cool stuff availible today,put everything you got in the BOXY 04 f-150 and complete my vision,no doubt ford needs to wake up and smell the times.COME ON NA, please just look at the top of the of this home page ,they have them side by side and it is so sad to see how we are slipping out of the morrow cause of our inability to bring the yester with us to .
every shape and color has been explored by someone somewhere and it's getting old now seeing taurus,monte carlo, and the doge all looking like the same thing.look at the rum runners (nasscar) it is so difficult to make out what cars is what make, you gotta figure it out by the sponsors loggo or number.
back in the day you could tell a ford amongst all other cars ,it was like nite and day and the pride.unlike today they just stretch the same old tired shapes and forms raise them and call it "our new f-150" no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SCROLL UP AND LOOK AT WHAT I MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by forddytube; 11-26-2003 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:22 AM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
if you think the new chevy looks better than the Ford
I can't help ya
if you want nostalgia how about the Ford GT
or the T100s they made this year,now if they'd just made it the pickup version...

Old 11-27-2003, 10:00 AM
forddytube
Elder User
no dogg, it's not about comparing ,but an attempt to see if we ford drivers go for the new look they are bringing on to us.since 90-1 the look of fords has totaly gone astray in terms of trying to stay hip in the new age market. 04 gt is a positive step and so is the t- bird .what i wana know is y not the 50's f- sereis 2 day.

Old 11-28-2003, 12:33 AM
adamk1974
Senior User
Thumbs down

Originally posted by m350
Later,,,,,,,,,,,Mark
I must admit that the new Durango is the Ugliest vehicle out right now. This I believe will be the next huge flop of the modern day. The only thing that can possibly save this hidious thing is the engine alone. All I wanna know is what moron let this thing come out to the public and will he still be working for Dodge by the end of this year. Maybe he hates Dodges and just wanted to see them fail so he came up with the most hidious design he could muster up!!!
It's really sad @ best.

Quick Reply: 2004 chevy, blast from the past!