Tires for heavy loads

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 05:08 AM
workamper53
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for heavy loads

Going back through the posts, I noticed the subject of tires came up several times and thought I would inject some personal experiences.

I have a '91 F-250 and am a full time RVer pulling a 5ver and after having 2 different rear tires blow on me with the 5ver going down the highway. Let me tell you that this is no fun at all ! Mind you, I watch my inflation close and I only do 60mph with the 5ver. One of these was a Cooper, less than 6 months old and only 3,000 miles on it.

After chatting with many other RVers and truckers, there is a big difference in tires when it comes to the ones used on the drive axle for heavy loads. Sure, they all make the "E" rated tires but this does not mean it will do the job. In doing some research on the different manufacturers, there are different tires made for steer, drive and trailer applications. Some are made for all positions.

The consensus from the many people I have talked to is the the best tire for near max loads is the Michelin, then Toyo, then Goodyear.

Anybody have any input on this ?

Michael

Old 11-28-2003, 02:32 PM
grademan541
New User
I have run out 7 pairs of BFG All terrain TA's and then had them capped and moved to drive or trailer axles, and not a problem. Some of the tires have been recapped 3 times. The trailers I hual are a 14k horse trailer, a 14K stock trailer, a 14k flatbed, and an eqpt trailer with 3 7K axle. Total over the last 5 years I have put 80 to 100K on pulling these trailers mostly loaded and have never had a problem.
Heat is what kills tires, load and speed creat the heat, so a person needs to either not creat the heat or get rid of it. The best way to get hid of the heat that I know is to have the tires siped (lines cut diagnolly across the face of the tread. this will also help with snow traction.
Martin

Old 12-01-2003, 11:04 PM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Thumbs down Some Dissagreement

I would have to disagree on the Goodyears. I have run the E rated tires on my last two tow vehicles and ended up having a lot of blowouts. I do agree that running the max pressure and having the correct tires is important. I'm now running the OEM Generals that came on the truck and have not had any problems, yet. When the time come's I plan on running the Michelin's. I have never heard anybody say anything bad on these tires. There is a diffrence in the OEM and the tires that you get from a tire store. I didn't know this until a individual that I work with, retired from Goodyear, told me. He stated that the requirements from the various manufactures are diffrent. I'll try and keep you posted on both good and bad that I experience with these tires.