Roller vs Solid vs Hydraulic Lifters (MELLER)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:45 PM
wrangler76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roller vs Solid vs Hydraulic Lifters (MELLER)

This will be the first of many posts I'll have in the next few days. I am planning a 460 bare block up build project to drop into my '79 F-350 SC 4x4. Naturally it will be a daily driver as well as focused on hauling heavy trailers fairly regularly.

I am attempting to make this general and informational reference for future readers with similar lifter questions.

I have been pouring through various engine parts catalogs and it appears that there are four options when it comes to lifters. There are Solid lifters that are roller or non roller as well as Hydraulic lifters that are roller and non roller. My understanding is that you need either a solid lifter or hydraulic lifter cam to match your choice.

I have been informed that in the past solid roller lifters have been the choice product for race engine builds because there is less internal friction due to the rollers, but it is a poor choice for a daily driver because the valves are continually requiring adjustment.

It is also my understanding that hydraulic lifters have been not been offered with the roller option until recently but they are the choice product for a daily driver because they are more maintainence free when it comes to valve adjustment.

My choice in lifters was clearly leaning towards the non roller hydraulic lifters until I recently saw a pair of hydrolic roller lifter in a catalog. Can anyone clairify this information if I am wrong and tell me if the roller hydraulic lifters would be a good choice? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2003, 01:03 PM
borin&strokin
Senior User
H-roller are great. Virtually every OHV engine is now equipped with them. They don't work for RPM over about 6000, and you need upgraded springs, though. You also need to spend about 2-3 times as much for a retrofit kit for them. IF you can even get retrofit for the 460 (I would ASSUME you can, not sure). If you have a roller block, it isn't much more, and IMHO is stupid to put a non roller cam in it. You MUST have a roller cam if you use roller lifters. Otherwise, you are right on. Cheers.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:13 PM
rankhankyellow
Freshman User
Mech. rollers are also great for the street, I run a set on my summer ride, basically you adjust your lifters every oil change or roughly 3000 miles. It takes about 30min, & a new set of valve cover gaskets. For some this might be too much work though.
This is the only way for true high performance motors who are building high rev. engines.
But by the sounds of your vehicle I`d stick to Hyd. rollers.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:16 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Solid roller cams should only be used with solid roller lifters. The ramps are too steep and aggressive for hydraulic roller lifters. Crane is the only major cam manufacturer that I know of that makes a hydraulic roller cam for the 460. They also make hydraulic roller lifters that, as far as I know, are drop in units. No retro kit needed. They are pricey, though. About $450 per set. Of course a good set of solid rollers is near that much anyway. For everyday street driving, hydraulic roller is the ultimate, but I'm not sure it is worth the extra cost. Do not think that you will get all the benefits of a solid roller set up, because you won't. Cam is not as aggressive and you can't wind past about 6000 (of course for street engines this isn't a problem). With all that being said, since it is going to be a daily driver with towing a priority, I'd get a moderate hydraulic (non-roller) cam and lifter set from Comp and call it good.

Old 11-25-2003, 07:13 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
I looked at all tjhe options when building my current engine and agree with the other posters. Cost is a consideration for a roller conversion and with RPM limits being about the same as regular hydraulic lifters, it didn't, to me, make a lot of sense. I went with non-roller solid lifters (6500rpm) because with the spring pressures on solid rollers those springs are very short on lifespan and since it's not a pure racer, I didn't want to make the investment and put up with spring changes.

Old 11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
There Goes The Neighborhood
Elder User
Maybe you should look at www.andersonfordmotorsport.com, under the hydraulic roller camshafts for 5.0 liters. I understand that its not a 460, but some of the cams in the catalog state u can run over 8000 rpm, and thats with stock hyd. roller lifters!!!
Also, check out crane cams, they make great camshafts, and, at least for the 400, you can turn up to 7000 rpm, with steel retainers.

Just my $.02