engine swapping ? for anybody that knows

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 05:54 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
engine swapping ? for anybody that knows

i recently bought a 91 tbird with a 5.0 ho. i want to put my 302 that i built into it with a stall convertor maybe a 2500 or so. the thing is that i want to put my 3 core radiator out of my 83 f150 and the external tranny cooler into the tbird.i think it will fit in there but not sure and i have not had the time to measure. i want to swith the heads on the motors and put an electric fan on it. do electric fans really work or is the stock fan better. i am just doing it if i have any clearance problems. also will the tfi ignition work on a carbed motor or does it need the other sensors and crap to run. thanks

Old 11-24-2003, 09:08 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll need a duraspark II ignition (distributor, coil and module to make it easy) for the carb or an aftermarket unit. Electric fans work if done properly. You will probably have to try and fit the radiator yourself, I would think it would be a bit tall but who knows it may very well work. Should it go in you may have to mess around with the tranny hard lines that run to the cooler if your gonna use the one in the radiator itself. I am glad to hear your gonna put that lopey old 302 to good use in the car, it should be fun with the higher stall. Good luck with your car

Old 11-24-2003, 01:24 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
so what is involved with the ignition swap. is it too hard. i have the duraspark systym in the truck but i am not sure if it is dII or not. do i just have to hook one wire up to the switch or is it harder than that. i eyeballed both radiators and they both seem to be the same height. as for width the tbird radiators end caps are about the same as the 3 core is. it is just that the 3 core stays the same size all across and the tbird radiator is skinny in the middle. that is why i might be using an electric fan. i know i am going to have to drop the fuel tank and put a regular sending unit in. there is one for a mustang in summit but i am not sure if it will bolt right in the tbird. i tried to call my cam maker to see what size stall i should get but they put me on hold for a long time.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:44 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
this link shows you how to hook up the duraspark II, there are only a couple of wires to be concerned about.

http://www.geocities.com/mustang_ma...raspark_ad.html

Why are you going to have to drop the gas tank? IF you are talking about the fuel level sending unit in the tank then it is fine. Your using a carbed 302 so it should be a fairly easy drop in. YOur only concern is power to the starter and coil and a fuel line to the mechanical pump, just make sure if it had an electric efi fuel pump that it is disconnected, Or are you doing something different? Let me know how this turns out, later

ps. don't you hate being put on hold? they play some of the weirdest music. haha. later

Old 11-24-2003, 02:47 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I see your talking about mass air in another thread are you converting the truck engine to efi? I don't wanna say something that doesn't apply, I was thinking you where going to put a carbed motor in the t-bird and leave it carbed. Let me know later

Old 11-24-2003, 02:49 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
well the reason i wanted to drop the tank to put in a sending unit for a carb is because if i leave the pump in the tank it will be blocking the fuel that is coming into the motor. i did a swap on a efi truck and i put a carbed motor in it. it would barely suck gas through the tank because of the inline tank. i wanna put a carbed motor in it and the fuel injection pump is way to high powered for my application thanks for the info

Old 11-24-2003, 02:54 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
i was thinking about which way i should go. i have a big decision. either be lazy and just put the efi stuff back on or go the other way and wire up some stuff and make some alterations and still keep my expensive aftermarket intake and carb on it. i want to do the carb but my girlfriend doesn't want me to do the ignition swap because it is a lot of work

Old 11-24-2003, 02:57 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
that site that you posted does not exist it says

Old 11-24-2003, 03:30 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Your right it disappeared for some reason. I have heard of people unhooking their efi pump and installing mechanical pumps no problem but if you had trouble then I can see why your wanting to change it. Here is what the link basically said.

There are only three wires off the module you need to be concerned with, otherwise leave the harness intact and it should connect to the distributor harness no problem.

From the module in the case if your hooking it up to a 80-96 truck then you would hook it up as so, your not so this may or may not apply:

green wire....to....negative side of coil
white wire....to.... red/light blue wire to your ignition switch
red wire......to......grey/yellow wire at your ignition switch

the wire coloring mention above may very well be similar in your t-bird, if not then follow the below.

If above doesn't apply then hook the wires from the module up as so:

green wire......to......negative side of coil
white wire......to.......starter side of solenoid
red wire.......to..........to a 12v switched power source (comes on with key)

Also recommended (not required) you ground the module itself as there are no grounds for this from the module, may wanna put a fuse on one of the power wires just to be safe. Hope this helps, that is what the directions on that site stated. later

Last edited by jwtaylor; 11-24-2003 at 03:33 PM.