Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Cheese experiments

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cheese experiments

Hey - why go to a store if you don't have to?

Cheese is a solid substance formed by beneficial organisms under the right conditions.

Various media have different tastes when they are done - goats milk has a marked "Lamb" flavor, just as one example.

Buttermilk can be made by adding a little cultured buttermilk to whole milk, and keeping it warm. Twenty four hours and some salt usually works. You can add garlic or other spices if you want (green onion is a spice, as far as I'm concerned).

But what about cheddar or Camembert? I haven't tried that yet, I want to do that today sometime...

Yogurt can be made with milk, why not Camembert or Brie?

This is a definite HMMM....

~Wolf

PS: Good morning Speedy!

Old 11-23-2003, 10:40 AM
sliknspeedy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning, Wolfie

I was waiting until you got back before I posted anything, to tell you thank you for making the yogurt cheese for us. It was delicious!!! If you hadn't of made it, I would have never even tried to make it myself. The yogurt cheese in question that I made is still being enjoyed by all in the house.

Slik

P.S. Thank you for the chopsticks. It is the only form of eatting utensils I use anymore.

Old 11-23-2003, 10:50 AM
theologian
Postmaster
I would be interested in the home creation of brie... I love the stuff - costco has some imported brie in wheels, for less than 9.00 bucks.. 1 kilo in each. Sometime soon, I hope, I will be ideally located for the production of home grown, and made produce - the more I get into the health thing, the more I learn of the modern producers short cuts, and the less I can find to eat. It really is most frustrating not to find good food anymore.

Theo

Old 11-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
TOLJA! Once you handle "CHOPS" well, everything is finger food (with 'extended fingers')

NOTES:

Different kinds of milk make different cheeses.

Low fat makes harder consistency cheeses, from what I have tried.

Buttermilk curd that goes a bit long forms a harder curd - a one hundred degree oven is the best way to do things fast.
Buttermilk and milk can make buttermilk, yogurt, and eventually cream cheese over time. It's a matter of how long it is allowed to go in the warm.

Cheeses have salt added as a preservative. WARNING: As the cheese dries, the salt level concentrates. Use as little as necessary.

GARLIC is a prime substitute for salt as a preservative....

(GARLIC also keeps mosquitos away, if you take in enough of it)

Simple cream cheese = Strain yoghurt through cheese cloth.

Better cream cheese = Let the culture go longer - it will form a better "curd".

Yogurt mixed with milk is the same as buttermilk. SHOP APROPRIATELY.

Try different milks - Cow, Goat, etc...

Once you have a culture - you don't have to pay for anything but milk anymore. If I find a way to make BRIE and CAMEMBERT -

I'll probably become fat because of it....

(Not really, but it's a hella temptation... )

~Wolf

Old 11-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
While I have my mind on it, I think I had better share this:

In the nineties I had a thing for buttermilk, and I was also bodybuilding hardcore.

Nonfat dried milk fascinated me, but so did cultured buttermilk (I like the taste). At one time, I thought "DRY MILK" was the best portable protein source I could get cheaply (I was at sea). I since came to suspect that the "LACTOSE" content in milk was transforming in part into "LACTIC ACID" which is what makes muscles sore after working them - so I got away from milk for the most part....

I used to mix up two gallons at a time of "DRY" milk, and add a cup of buttermilk (it has got to be the cultured kind, not churned).

This I kept in the oven at one hundred degrees overnight, and tried it for flavor. When it was right, I added "LITESALT" to it to taste. This eliminated a lot of sodium, added a POTASSIUM advantage (liberates energy) and gave me a non-fat beverage I was allowed to have that was rich in protein.

I had unlimited buttermilk - without the butter or fat.

I liked adding DILL weed to it for an additional buttery flavor, various other herbs can modify the taste.

FYI

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-23-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:57 AM
theologian
Postmaster
That sounds interesting, Slik should give it a try.

Theo