Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Glow Plug Relay?

Old 11-21-2003, 08:02 PM
cuttr28
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow Plug Relay?

Hey fellows. I need to find out which relay is the glow plug relay. Their is 2 relays up around the fuel filter to the left facing the truck on my 2001 F-250 powerstroke. Which one is that relay. The one in front higher up or the one behind it lower. Can yall explain the troubleshooting of that relay. I think I trouble shot it right but dont really know for sure. Having a hard time cranking. It will crank and fire but not like it used to. Longer cranking than it used to. thanks for any info. cuttr28

Last edited by cuttr28; 11-21-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:42 AM
elkslayer1
Junior User
Did you check your glow plugs also?

Old 11-24-2003, 11:23 AM
taddrake
New User
Did you ever find an answer to your question. I have a 2000 F350 and am having some cold starting problems. I have exactly the same question. I also would like to check the glow plugs, but don't know where they are located either.

Old 11-24-2003, 12:25 PM
theologian
Postmaster
glow plugs are under the valve cover, relay is mounted to the left front area of the engine, looking at it from in front of the truck.

If it is working, it will click when the key is first turned, so have someone turn the key, with the door shut, to avoid the ding ding, and listen for a click. That is the glow plug relay.

Theo

This is the picture showing locations on a 94-98

Not my truck, I got the picture in an email, so I cannot give the correct credit..

Last edited by theologian; 11-24-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:29 PM
taddrake
New User
Thanks....I was pretty sure that was the right one. I read some information on line about the relay and how to check it. There are two main bolt lugs that are supposed to both be hot when the glow plug light is on. I see 12v on the always hot side, but don't see anything on the other side when the key is turned on. I do however hear and feel the relay click. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-24-2003, 12:30 PM
taddrake
New User
I also forgot to mention that I do see both trigger wires hot when the key is turned on also.

Old 11-24-2003, 12:32 PM
theologian
Postmaster
If you hear it click, and there is no voltage showing on the cold post, the contacts are broken - try shorting out the terminal posts, carefully with something conductive, when you have the need to start. If the relay is functioning, but broken, shorting out the terminals will put power to the plugs, and will make it start easier, if the plugs are ok. If not work needs doing.

Theo

Old 11-27-2003, 09:36 PM
cuttr28
Junior User
Hey fellows, sorry I'm just now getting back on here, but thanx for the info on glow plug relay. Was'nt the relay after all. i think i got some bad diesel. It started cranking normal, or like it used to instead of taking 3 to 4 seconds to crank. Thanx again, this is a great website. cuttr

Old 12-01-2003, 10:16 AM
taddrake
New User
I was able to fix my problem. The relay was definitely bad. When I tried to pull the nut from one of the terminals, the whold terminal broke free.

Also, just for everyone's information. On '99 and newer trucks, there are two relays. The glow plug relay is the one in the rear closest to the firewall. Also, I took some other advice that I read in some other threads and called my local International dealer for the part. I was able to get the exact relay (same part number and everything) for $25.22 instead of $108 at the Ford dealer.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
blue lightnin
New User
glow plug relay / switch where exactly is it on the 2000 7.3 liter

i am having problems starting my truck i feel 98% sure it is gpr going bad i want to find it buy it and replace it can anybody help???????ps im charging batteries right now as we speak getting ready to try starting again.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by blue lightnin
i am having problems starting my truck i feel 98% sure it is gpr going bad i want to find it buy it and replace it can anybody help???????ps im charging batteries right now as we speak getting ready to try starting again.
Sure thing. What do you need help with?

you can go to NAPA and get the replacement if you need it runnin, Part number GPR110 or something along those lines.

Let me know if you need more documentation on how to get the old one off and put the new one on.

Also there is a little test you can do to find out if your GPR is bad.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
dustan52
Senior User
Originally Posted by blue lightnin
Welcome to FTE...

I believe the link and pic below will help you, definitly go w/ the stancor.

Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
taddrake
New User
Thanks for the info. I actually am having relay problems again and am trying to get through this summer, but will definitely look at this option prior to next Winter!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

What they said. Man you sure dug deep to find this thread. 2003 Good job.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 AM
blue lightnin
New User
reply to smokin for help

thanks smokin for the help on my truck as soon as i charged batteries and warmed up the gpr it has started since but i suspect it may be bad or going that way..... the picture showed the relay located on top of engine next to manifold sort of it looks like a voltage regulater to me and there is 2 of them side by side? sorry i didnt get back sooner i check e mails once a day usually.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glow Plug Relay?