Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back again after thirty days...

A week from now I have to go offshore again, but it's for the last time

Old 11-21-2003, 06:06 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wolf is back, Yeah!The Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, YeahThe Wolf is back, Yeah

Old 11-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I had duty yesterday - the day after we pulled in! It figures...

I'm going to be rounding up things here, the laws of thermal dynamics took over the night before I shipped out (CHAOS ensued...). I've already done one load of laundry and I may have to rent a carpet steam cleaner.

On the other hand - I may "rent" one of the local indigeonous civilian personnel who is good at cleaning up trashed apartments for the purpose.

(Most of you think I'm joking - Theo and Speedy know better)

I expect to focus on "Not for Hire" for a week, go out to sea, and then shift the focus to packing and making a garage full of parts and automobile ready to transplant 2,000 miles to the east.

After december I can have a life again, maybe...

Old 11-23-2003, 10:28 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Sounds like a plan.. Finding a cleaning robot could help some, maybe....

What are you planning to do with 'not for hire'

Theo

Old 11-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Of more interest is what I might do with a diesel bus.

I have always been interested in streamlining - a bus frame with an aircraft fuselage grafted to it might be highly efficient, don't you think?

Or a semi-truck with a rounded front end.

NFH is my classroom. I am learning at a rapid rate just from that one truck.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:53 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Since we talked of such things, in your living room, I have been looking at the going rate for diesel powered school busses - this choice being because of the simplicity of design, and ease of modification - not just the engine in such a beast is so accessible, but the entire body is choppable in any way you want. The front end could be easily changed to a steep wedge, to cut the air better, and an old Airstream trailer grafted on to whatever front you fabricated. OR, as you suggest, an aircraft fuselage could be attached.. The trailer would be easier, and more to size, but an old Dakota would probably work.. (I just happen to know where one is sitting, doing nothing in a field.. All I have to do is find it again, and find out who owns it.)

Peterbuilt came out with a very rounded cab over semi tractor some years ago. You do not see many of them around, but there are some in a sale yard in Kansas City, Kansas.. I noticed them when I was last there, last month. They have a rounded front end, with somewhat sloping and curved windshield, and a rounder roof line. They come usually with a 320 - 350 HP engine. If you mess with the ratios of the beast you can usually manage to limit it's towing ability in favor of fuel mileage and get somewhere near 12 mpg.. but it will not want to tow more than about 20k...

Theo

Old 11-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I was thinking mainly about the front end of an aircraft similar to a B-29 or B-52. This puts a lot of glass/perspex in the front for better visibility, and the streamlining is self evident.

The "control deck" is much higher up from the ground, and fairing the back into a trailer boot would be pretty straightforward.

Fifty cal mount blisters on some older birds would provide observation points to see what is going on on the road (fore and aft) along the sides of the rig - especially in a motor home application.

GM had a rig that was called the "Futureliner" once upon a time. I'll find the link to a recent restore project and post it here. I think there's only one left...

Old 11-24-2003, 09:25 AM
theologian
Postmaster
If you put pods sticking out of the sides, they would be hit within a week.. There is not much room for attachments on the side of a rig.. the roads are too narrow. on the roof would be cool, or better yet, cctv.

Theo

Old 11-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I suppose hatches on the sides would do the trick, just big enough to poke your head out of. Assuming people looked first before offering their heads as a sacrifice...

CCTV would be good for a lone operator, if it got by the local regulations. I think it's illegal most places to have any kind of TV display in the drivers view.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:52 PM
theologian
Postmaster
I was travelling in convoy a few years back, in Europe... There was a tunnel ahead, and bus with school kids leaning out of the windows.. The bus came to the tunnel with one more head than it left with.... Talk about yucky.. There was a sign at head hight, warning people not to put their heads out of the window in the tunnel.. When we stopped at the sign, blood, brains and hair were stuck to the sign, and a semi crushed child's head was against the tunnel wall. The bus did not stop. I wonder what happened when he got to the place he was going to. We radioed it to the authorities, but could not stop and wait. ( sensitive convoy)

Theo

Old 11-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I found the link I was looking for (Re: The GM Future Liner)

GM Futureliner Restoration Project

This will give you some idea -

I wonder if FORD ever built something like it? This thing was part of what was called the "Parade of Progress" way back when, and the story behind it is a fascinating read all by itself.

I just got back from having a lube and oil change done on NFH. I think the oil pressure guage is highly suspect at this point, but it was high time the oil was traded out and it was worth sixty some odd bucks not to get filthy myself doing it.

I'm told that "Everything leaks under there", but it isn't like it was a few months ago. For one thing - it doesn't leave spots underneath itself anymore. I think a lot of it is old spillage from when I first got involved.

I'll be a lot happier after I've gotten it home and redone everything the right way!

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-24-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:27 PM
theologian
Postmaster
WOW, that is SO COOL...

I will check the link later, Sarah just made dinner for me..

Theo

Old 11-24-2003, 08:54 PM
theologian
Postmaster
That is an interesting link.. The machines are awesome. Something modern on those lines would be a cool thing to drive around.

Theo

Old 11-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
My thoughts exactly.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:25 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Hey, Wolf, how do I join the G.O.B.L.I.N. Society?

I would love to be a card carrying member..

Theo