Sponsored by:

Help....buyin a new excursion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:18 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok...Parents are buying a new excursion finally after talking them out of a suburban. Heres my questions. First off what kind of milage are you all getting with both the 5.4 and the 6.8 liters. They aren't going for the diesel as hard as i tried. secondly i need ammunition for helping me to convince them to get the 6.8. I really don't want such a small motor in a huge truck. thanks guys...

Ryan

Old 06-18-2002, 10:46 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My 6.8L averages 13.2 =/- a few tenths...

I get a strong 15.5- 16 on the highway and can coax it to perform better but I gotta concentrate.

Some will say that the 5.4L will do a bit better but if your going for the 4x4 get the 6.8L. It's the standard engine. Even though some don't think Ford knows what they are doing sometimes, I think in this instance Ford knew exactly what they were doin' when they dumped the big V10 in there.

If they are really that concerned with mileage, have 'em take a look at a Focus wagon. Just kidding...

But ammunition to get it?? Hmmmm....seems to me price and availability would be the biggest ammo. Help them out, find a good V10 equipped X that is priced right and take them to it!

Old 06-19-2002, 07:43 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

>can coax it to perform better but I gotta concentrate.

So she said!!

Boy , I love to take things out of contex

Old 06-19-2002, 09:09 AM
rainmn9
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a V-10. Going by the overhead console, mine seems to pretty much always read 10.8, however my truck spends a lot of time around town. (I don't commute.) When I take it on a highway trip, I usually reset the trip computer and it will get up to somewhere between 13-15.
Once I start driving around town again, it quickly drops back down to 10.8.
BTW - I would recommend the V-10. I can't see the truck being all that enjoyable to drive with the V-8. Seems a tad on the small side for this beast.
Although the mileage on these isn't the greatest, it shouldn't be a big concern if your coming from another full-size truck. I had a Yukon before this, and the difference in mileage isn't all that great. Now if you were coming from a Honda Civic, you might be in for a shock

Old 06-19-2002, 03:33 PM
omnimax
Senior User

I justified the gas mileage of the V10 Excursion (10-13mpg easy) vs. the 99 Trooper I previously owned (15mpg) based on the fact when you consider the volume of the Excursion vs. the Trooper you come out way ahead. With prices well below original sticker I was hapy to buy something that had already done it's depreciating.

Old 06-19-2002, 04:00 PM
Cerberus
New User

Difference in towing capacity is a big selling point too. The V-10 can tow 2400 lbs more than the 5.4L.
I don't know, IMHO the 5.4 just seems like too small a motor for this large of a vehicle! On that note, I've got a buddy with an F-150 supercrew and his gas mileage around town is barely better than mine. In fact, we took a 300 mile trip down south in February and I got better gas mileage than him on the highway. I used to lament the fact that the wife wouldn't go for the diesel, but now I can't say enough good things about that V-10. Saved me money in initial cost and then for maintenance later, and I'm just as happy as I would've been with a diesel.

-Jase

Old 06-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

>> and I'm just as happy as I would've been with a diesel.
>
>-Jase

Man, I could not have said it better!!

Old 06-20-2002, 10:58 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User

> and I'm just as
>happy as I would've been with a diesel.

Naw, not a chance. Nothing sounds like a diesel.(just my opinion)
The initial purchase price is higher, as are the maintenance costs, but the diesel typically lasts twice as long as a gasser before rebuilds. When I got my diesel, the incentives were higher on diesels, and that helped, too. I have the local Pennzoil quick oil change do my LOF's, and they charge me $52.00. I wouldn't let anyone else do it, but I know these guys and they have been doing my LOF's for years.

Of course, none of this matters if you don't tow. I would not have gotten the diesel if I didn't tow as often as I do. Actually, from a grocery-getter standpoint, the 5.4 would probably do just fine, providing all you want is to do "just fine".

Your choice of vehicles says something about who you are. A vehicle should be more than just transportation, unless you are getting a transportation special. I think a lot of us have been there. It should be a personal statement about the driver. I drive my Excursion, along with some other trucks, for a living. Besides home, I spend more time in it than anywhere else, typically 24-30 hours at a time. I love my truck. Get what will make you happy, not just what will do. If you settle for what will do, you will probably have to live with that poor decision for a few years. Don't put yourself through that kind of torture.

Old 06-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Cerberus
New User

Enduringexplorer stated my point better than I did. What I was getting at is what he said, "don't settle." The old addage is true, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I was trying to get around to that point with all my rambling, and thank goodness we've got guys in here that could state it so eloquently. Thank you enduring. Although, that "sound" you're talking about would have cost me an extra 6 grand when I was shopping around. I got my limited V-10 for $26,500 and the next closest PSD I could find was 32 grand. I sat down and did all the math and just in gas prices alone it would have taken me 28 years to save the difference!!!

-Jase

Old 06-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Cerberus
New User

Whoops...fat fingered my numbers... 8 years to save the difference...LOL

-Jase

:-X11

Old 06-20-2002, 08:20 PM
HarryO
Junior User

Ryan,

When I was looking to get my 2002 'X', I tested both the V8 & V10.

The V8 had 4.30 gears, the V10 had 3.73 gears. It seemed to me that the V10 still pulled harder under all conditions (from stop, running acceleration, etc) than the V10. I do not tow (yet), but will in the future. Like it's been said, rather have and not need it then regrete it later.

In the 2 months that I have the 'X', I have 6,300 miles. I also came from a 1995 Suburban (great truck) and still have it (bought new & finally paid for). The brakes are better and the gas milage is in the 11-12 range for the 'X'.

The other things that really surprised me were:

1. The telescoping heated tow mirrors. What a blessing. They are actually 2 mirrors in one (big regular and a small concave) on each side.

2. How a truck this big can ride so smooth (especially on the highway) and I am still stock (not for long, I hope).

3. The roominess. It's about the same as my 95 Burb and feels alot larger than the new (2000 and newer) Suburbans. My youngest is 6'2" and has more room than in the Burb back in the third seat. Where will you be sitting?

4. The XLT version I got came with powered rear windows (the ones behind the second door). The open enough to get airflow to the third seat. Third row passengers will love the relief.

5. I didn't think my wife would like the tri-doors in back, but she now loves the setup. Very easy to work with.

6. The steering does seem to wander a bit, not much, just every now and then. This board has many suggestions and helpfull hints. I do have a steering stabilizer that came with the truck (stock item).

Hope this helps.

HarryO

Old 06-23-2002, 06:45 AM
Gary E K
Senior User