slide-in camper hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 06:23 AM
renaissanceman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slide-in camper hook-up

I have a new '04 F-350 PSD w/camper package.

Where/how do I connect a slide in camper electric's to the truck system to operate camper lights, etc?

Do campers always have separate battery packs or am I going to connect to one of the 2 batterys in the truck?

Do I really "NEED" both truck batteries to run that 6.0 or can one be taped into to power the camper?

Is the reason I have 2 battery's because I have the camper package?

(as you might discern, this is my first truck camper adventure)

Jerry

Old 11-21-2003, 07:27 AM
fordman102
Elder User
I don't know much about campers but you will have a power hook up that will hook up at the back by the tail lites for your lights. You need both those batteries for your diesel. It runs on one but takes both to start it.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:56 AM
renaissanceman
Senior User
electrical brake wire?

when I unpacked the glovre box on my new truck there was an electric pigtail that has something to do with electric brakes. What is that for and how is it used?

Old 11-21-2003, 09:57 AM
theologian
Postmaster
Campers usually have their electrical connections at the front side of the camper, where it sits in the pick up bed. A true camper package has a mating connection on the truck, in that place. (Ford's idea of a camper package does not take that into account)

The camper will come with it's own different type of battery - it uses a deep cycle battery, to cope with the low amperage total discharge that camping gives it.

YES, you NEED the two batteries the truck came with.. That is why Ford put them there, and NO, they are not part of the camper package. Get really cold weather and try to start with just one battery. You will get the point then.

The Ford Camper package does not really address the system with which you attach the camper to the truck. It gives you a set of brackets in the pick up bed, at the front, but they are not really the type suitable for attaching the tie downs to.

My '02 has the factory camper package... it is nothing like the one I put on my '96 to hold my camper on it. If I could get my camper into my '02, it would not be able to be secured without adding hardware. I could not get it onto the 02 because it is a full size long bed camper.

Theo

Old 11-21-2003, 10:05 AM
renaissanceman
Senior User
Originally posted by theologian
Campers usually have their electrical connections at the front side of the camper, where it sits in the pick up bed. A true camper package has a mating connection on the truck, in that place. (Ford's idea of a camper package does not take that into account)

The Ford Camper package does not really address the system with which you attach the camper to the truck. It gives you a set of brackets in the pick up bed, at the front, but they are not really the type suitable for attaching the tie downs to.

Theo
.... so what your telling me is, it's going to cost me bucks to up grade my brand new camper truck so I can install a camper after I already paid for the "camper" package?