Sponsored by:

Rain leak desperation!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Rain leak desperation!

1994 XLT. I have had the carpet and interior panels out for quite a while now. I need to get this stuff out of the house and back in the Bronco where it belongs!

There is a rain leak on both sides, comes out the back edge of the B pillars. I know exactly where the water comes out of. The tip of the screwdriver is pointing at it. It is coming out of a very small gap at the bottom where 2 pieces of metal sandwich a 3rd between them. With the plastic side panels in, the water would drip on top of the recessed ashtrays, then down next to the rear speakers and soak the carpet below, then spreading out.

For a long time, I thought it was a top seal leaking. But since then I have had the top on and off a couple times now. I replaced ALL of the top seals:
The seal that glues on the underside of the top lip that runs around the cab opening (primary seal).
The second-in seal that fits over the vertical metal flange on the cab opening (secondary seal).
Both side rail seals.

I have sealed every opening that I can find. I have figured out how the whole top seal system works – the primary glued-on lip seal, the secondary flange-mounted seal, and where the water from each should run out. And it does properly. I can crush my head sideways against the side window, look forward and see that the water does NOT come down the fiberglass side channel, as if it had made it past both the primary and secondary seals. Its dry.

I can’t get it to leak using water applied any way. But leave it out in a 1inch or so rain, and it leaks from those 2 spots. Here are some more things its NOT:
It is not rain gutter cracks, those are fixed.
I took down the front headliner to see if anything was coming from upfront somehow, nothing seen.
There is the very thin horizontal crack in the paint on the mid-B pillar, but I can spray it for 15 minutes and not get a drop inside. And those cracks are so small.
Not rear side window leaks, those would appear on the fiberglass ledge, it stays dry.
I'm sure I'm forgetting other things I've tried, been at this too long!

It seems to me that water is getting inside the welded body structure channels, and drips out at that space where the panels lap. I have soaked the folds and welds in the doorframe areas with the doors open, no luck seeing any water. I have been at this for years now with no luck. Out of desperation, I am about to put a drain system in to channel it outside. Something funnel shaped attached to the area where it is leaking, with a hose on it that goes through a hole drilled in the floor pan, coming out ahead of the rear wheel ahead of the inner splash shield. If I leave out the rear ashtrays, it will all fit behind the plastic side panels.

If anyone has an idea, or has chased down this same leak, I’d like to hear it!

(a couple more pictures are in my gallery, "94 Bronco rain leaks")

Old 11-19-2003, 09:38 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you checked out the entire rain gutter to see if there are any cracks along it? I mean the entire length. That would be the opnly other place that I can think of. SOunds like you covered everything else including the cracks on the B Pillars.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:40 PM
merkstang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem in mine!! its a 96 and I havent started to locate it yet but I NEED to so I can get it dry and replace the carpet....

Old 11-19-2003, 05:13 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Does it leak just sitting still or is it when driving......or after driving when raining.

Windshield ever replaced........front windshield top seal?

The top seam goes past the gutter to the front windshield if i recall.

Have you tried the 15min water spray from the front of the bronco.

Good luck to both. Sounds like it's been a PIA

Old 11-19-2003, 07:09 PM
merkstang
Senior User
mine leaks sitting still...
Im wondering if its the seals but I ahvent gotten a chance to take the top off yet and see what the seals look like.
I dont seem to have any cracks either.
I guess I just need to do my homework like Torky2 and see what I find.

Torky2
where did you get your gaskets? and what did the old ones look like? (good / Bad - soft /dry)

Old 11-19-2003, 07:48 PM
kilted_drummer
Senior User
I have never had my top off and I have the same leaks... The windshield has been replaced ( previous owner), can tell from the safelite autoglass stampings, and a previous owner did a body filler repair to both sides gutter above the doors. I gave up chasing it now I just occasionally get the shop vac on it and dont plan on using it for the black tie affairs.....

Old 11-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Unfortunately, I have more of my Bronco interior in my HOUSE, than out in the BRONCO!

OK, answers to some questions asked:

Rain Gutters? - No cracks anywhere on/in the rain gutters. I caulked them long time ago, and with the recent hail repair it was redone properly, and repainted.

Moving or Sitting? - It leaks sitting still, the normal parking is with the front end up just a tiny bit like 2 inches max compared to the back. And pretty level side to side. It may leak when moving also, but I don't know for sure.

Windshield replaced? - Not to my knowledge. The trim around the windshield was removed and replaced in the recent hail repair, nothing blatantly obvious noted underneath. (It was leaking long before the hail storm).

Seals, condition, and where from? -
Bed rail seals left side and right side, each different, looked OK and the leak wasn't from there. But they had really taken a set, and were replaced.
Primary Lip seal glued to underside of top - Old, hard, weathered. Replaced.
Secondary seal that fits onto cab vertical metal flange - Looked OK except for a compressed area in a corner. Replaced.
All seals were from Ford. Left and right bed rail seals very $$$.

Tried 15 min. water spray from the front of the Bronco? - No, I didn't as I was always focusing on top seals or door jamb, etc. But that is a good idea, I will have to try that.

3broncocrazy, please tell me more about this: - "The top seam goes past the gutter to the front windshield if i recall"

Old 11-19-2003, 09:20 PM
johnb268
Freshman User
the water would drip on top of the recessed ashtrays, then down next to the rear speakers and soak the carpet below, then spreading out.
i had same problem i used some silicone on rain gutter a couple of months ago and haven;t had any problems since.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:05 AM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Torky,
I think the top has a seam that runs from the pillow all along the gutter and continues to the front windsheild.

Have you applied a clear coat of silicone to the gutter to see if that stops the leak?

Old 11-20-2003, 10:48 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Torky2,

What is the condition of the seam between the B pillar and the rear quarter panel? (Horizontal seam about the same level as the bottom edge of the top runs across the B pillar from the top to the door). I only ask because since it sounds like you have eliminated everyhting else, it may be leaking there somehow. It still would be odd since I think the quarter panel slides under the B pillar sheet metal but you may want to look at it. I know my 93 has lost some paint in this area on the passenger side and there is a crack in the body sealer where the paint is missing. Haven't seen it leak yet though.

I may be going way out on a limb but in light of the lengths you have gone to, its something you may not have considered.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Originally posted by greystreak92
Torky2,

What is the condition of the seam between the B pillar and the rear quarter panel? (Horizontal seam about the same level as the bottom edge of the top runs across the B pillar from the top to the door). I only ask because since it sounds like you have eliminated everyhting else, it may be leaking there somehow. It still would be odd since I think the quarter panel slides under the B pillar sheet metal but you may want to look at it. I know my 93 has lost some paint in this area on the passenger side and there is a crack in the body sealer where the paint is missing. Haven't seen it leak yet though.
greystreak, I know the horizontal seam you described. It has just a very fine crack in the paint all along it. I hit it there with water for 15 minutes, with no result. It looks way too fine to really let any water in on mine, but I figured, what the heck, try it.

I wanted to try spraying the front upper winshield today, but it is way too windy today to try to direct water accurately.

3broncocrazy, what is the "pillow"? I don't have a clue. I sure don't have anything left inside the Bronc that I would like to lay my head down on!

Oh, and the gutters have been fixed twice. Once by me with silicone caulk years ago. Then that was all dug out, cleaned up, epoxied, and painted as part of the hail damage repair. I have doubled checked the gutters, no cracks what so ever above, or below the rail.

Last edited by Torky2; 11-20-2003 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:48 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
pillar/pillow that's my one mistake for the year, glad it's November - Man this puts the pressure 'till christmass

The seam i'm trying to explain would be for the "roof" It runs horizontal (learned a new word from greystrek today - thanks man) also. It is "behind the gutter rail" and continues from the front windsheild to that vertical b pillow thing. You should be able to see the seam towards the top of the windshield and the gutter rail - same height.

To me (IMO) now that you say you had the gutters repaired, i ask if the roof (cab) was replaced when the hail damage was fixed - i would think that soon after the work they did replacing the roof could be your problem as the seam has not held.........

/^\

You better get all that stuff out of your house or you wont have a place to lay your head down

Old 11-30-2003, 08:41 PM
realdeahl
New User
Check the fibergalss top... I had some hairline cracks in the seams on the top. The water ended up in the storage pockets behind the rear wheel wells. I put epxoy in the cracks and have not had a problem since.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:10 AM
R2KEY2
New User
fiberglass

I would say check the seams in your top, but if you've changed all of the seals thats probably not it either.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:29 AM
realdeahl
New User
Check out my gallery for photos of the seams I am referring to.