Straight piped 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:46 PM
scroob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder how all those Mustang and Pinto mini stocks run so well with a straight pipe?

Old 07-19-2004, 09:59 AM
460429_freak
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Redneck-Cowboy
To be honest, I could care less as to how it sounds as long as it's loud and annoys people. The engine is shot anyway, so performance isn't a big issue, and it's not like it'll lose that much hp. I have my 300 running straight and I never knew the difference, except the noise. That engine is about shot too, it has over 200K and it's startin to lose comp. That ranger though, it takes so much oil it ain't even funny, but it still seems to have good power.
we run striat pipes on our race cars(pinto mustang II) they sound like a ****ed off bumble bee!!!! if you want annoying ( I doubt it will be legal) put a strait pipe from the manifold back turn it strait up through the truck bed (like a semi stack) that sucker would be the most annoying thing around! but not legal for hwy use...

Old 07-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroob
I wonder how all those Mustang and Pinto mini stocks run so well with a straight pipe?
Because they're running at high RPM's most of the time, where a straight exhaust will be most beneficial. They probably have little low end torque, but the point behind them is to get them up to speed and keep them there. Once you've gotten up to speed, you want as little backpressure as possible for the engine to have to work against.

I've heard straight piped 4 bangers before, and most of them sound like ***. Put a Dynomax Super Turbo or a Borla universal straight through muffler (not the XR-1s) if you want a little more power and still have it sound decent.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:09 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
You want as little backpressure as possible at any RPM. Not just high up.

Old 07-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Ok, as I said this is a piece of a truck anyway, plus it's my brothers and not my prob. Here's what I did temporaly. It had a cat and a G-pack, well i torched of the G-pack right after the cat, it sounded like evey other piece of junk honda that drives round town, so I got a little creative and found an old 6 inch stove pipe that had a 90 degree bend right at the top and it's about 4 foot long, so I jammed it over the remaining pipe and wedged it under there at a 45 degree angle so it came out behind the cab and bailing wired it up. Man that thing sounds awesome , deep, plus when you let ya let off you get that whooooooom, boom....boom instead of a snapin sound cuz that pipe's so dang big it muffles it out. Once my bro gets me the money I'll buy some 2 inch, cut off the cat, take it from there and curve it hard out in front of the front pass tire, then bump it up to 3 1/2in. and run a side pipe to about a few inches behind the cab and turn bend it at a 45 degree angle kinda out and down.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:28 PM
loudranger
New User
Lightbulb glasspacks for 2.3L

i have a 94 2.3L ranger. i had a straight pipe with a cold-air intake and it had no power at all. i finally put the cat back on and purchased a dynomax thrush glasspack that has 2" inlet/outlet and 25" long. The exhaust exits before the passenger rear wheel. this sounds good in combination with the cold-air intake. it doesnt cost alot to do this so you should give it a try.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:01 AM
elgiblito
Freshman User
Whell I cut the cat off ran 2-1/4 to a dynomax and 2-1/4 out and its like its got a power-band off a dirt bike,but sounds like half a v-8, the half that gets you pulled over.

From 2750rpm to 4000 I cant personally watch the tack and the road at the same time now and that is before installing a cold air kit but I also have some other goodies that warm it up a little.

so to me cats rob power but inhibit one from sweating every time they see a cop
because nothing spells waste of money like R/R

Old 08-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
I run pure striaght pipes on all my vehicles. When u go by a cop u just let off or push in the clutch, if he's following u, u really gotta take it easy. Now if u do get stopped, just act dumb, u don't even know what a cat is, it was like that when I got the truck, the muffler is just bad, that cop ain't gonna get under there and look, he'll tell ya to rev it up and u will do it half @$$ and he'll get real strict and loud and say agian "REV UP THE ENGINE" and then u do and he comes back to the window and u say, "oh didn't realize it was that loud, I never drive at that rpm, my muffler must have blew out inside" and he'll eithier say get it fixed or give ya a fix it ticket, then u steal the muffler off your car and stick it on the exhaust somewhere temporary and take it to the courthouse and it's quiet as can be, after they check u jerk it off there, chuck it in the back of the pick-up and get outta there. My friend got stopped before, he also lives right by a cop.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:05 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Hahaha- all too familiar! You think getting stopped with straight pipes is scary? Try getting stopped with uncapped headers when you're half drunk...Did that at my buddies when we were first testing the freshly rebuilt 460 in my mudder. We took it on the pavement to see if she would spin all four(which she did easily on the chip/tar road) and I'll be dammned if the cop didn't turn on the road right as I started to get on it... Somehow I got out of it completely- I think the cop was impressed by the truck to be honest lol. Hope he doesn't read this post hahaha.
Scott

Old 08-06-2004, 05:27 PM
ClatonK
Senior User
My first car was a 1980 Mustang base model with a 2.3 and a 4 speed. It had a Ford 2V autolite carb from a 302, all emmission stuff removed, a cheep Thrush turbo muffler, and a couple other tricks. This car sounded like a V8....no BS. People allways asked if it had a 5.0 in it. For a little 4 banger it really had some jam too.
PUT A TURBO MUFFLER OR MAYBE A GLASSPACK ON WITH NO CATS AND I THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT.

Clayton

Old 10-23-2004, 02:20 AM
tweaker
Junior User
well, i'm ran no cats and straight dual flowmasters on my 81 f-250 with a 460, and i could rip outa the whole,

i just pulled off the muffler in my 89 mustang, and it sounds killer,
gonna replace it with a flowmaster muffler and redo the rest of it....it comes off the second cat and goes 2' then turn down, sounds kick a$$ and launches like it never had before

Old 11-05-2004, 12:55 PM
samickguy15
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.3 Straight

I have my truck (92' 2.3L) straight piped after the Cat. It sounds pretty damn good. Loud as **** outside of the cab. Inside isn't too bad. I put a straight pipe in place of the muffler and ran it out the regular tailpipe. When it's cold or a fresh start it will get pretty rowdy when you hammer it. The cops made me put a glasspack on, but I'm thinking about taking it off again.