Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Senior User

mcanik is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.facebook.com/daniel.carter3
Question Transmission ID Codes

I have a 1990 F150 4X4 with an AOD transmission, door code K. I have a 1988 F150 4X4 for parts with an AOD?, door code K. I assume this is the original transmission in this truck. I need a transmission. according to the selector letters, my 1990 has the PRNDD1 and the 1988 has PRND21. will this mean that the 1988 has a 3 speed with no OD?

Any help is good help.
Dan
Old 11-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
K is the code for a C6, not an AOD. This would explain the selector patterns in the 88, but not the 90.

Have you crawler under the truck and looked at the transmissions? Do they look the same? Length? Pan shape and size? Number of bolts in each pan?

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 11-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Senior User

My bad......

The 1990 Trans code T.
Thanks for the input about the Code K. Will this be difficult to swap?
I can do with a C6 3 speed
Old 11-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Post Fiend

pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.
patfogle DaPocky
should be pretty close you may need the crossmember and rear driveshaft from the donor truck, as the tailshafts may be different.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
I'm no expert on parts compatibility, but here's a partial list of what you might run into:

Tranny crossmember problems
Drive shaft lengths - front & rear
Tranny/TC bolt up problems - not sure if they're compatible.

The good news is that neither tranny is computer controlled, so you won't have to dig too deeply into the electronics side.

Also keep in mind that your gas mileage will drop noticably because the C6 has no overdrive. However, the C6 is a much more reliable transmission than the AOD.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 11-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Senior User

Can't be any worse on mileage than it already is.
Between the slipping tranny and the whatever code 44 else is wrong.
I will get it together someday........
lol
Old 11-18-2003, 07:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1987, 1988, 1989, 460, 88, aod, code, codes, f150, ford, id, identification, trans, transmission, truck