Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about lockers - is that what I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 01:27 PM
garymake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about lockers - is that what I need?

Hi all,

During deer season, I spend a lot of time in the mud and muck of northern North Carolina. When the clay around here gets wet, it is worse than driving on ice! This year has been particularly wet and I am terribly disappointed with my LS rear diff. (as are many others).

I have already had my truck back to the dealership once for this and they said it was "working as designed" but that is just not acceptable. I am getting ready to take it back again and give them another chance....

I am considering lockers for the rear for my F250 (see my sig for details).

I plan on keeping this truck for 15+ years.

I put about 5K miles a year on my truck - mostly hunting and fishing trips.

I would guess that 10 - 15% of this milage is off road.

I do some towing on occassion (trailer weighing roughly 5Klbs loaded) but would like to keep my options for larger loads open if the need arises.

I do use this truck for the occassional road trip 400-500 miles round trip - once or twice a year.

Significant snow is rare here in North Carolina, but when it does snow, this is my primary vehicle.

My LS unit fails to live up to my expectations when I find myself driving on old logging roads (primarily clay, heavily rutted and often containing several large mud pits - some as much as axel deep), or when having to manuver on large slick clay patches that are suppose to pass for turn around areas at the end of the afore mentioned logging roads (all of this is done at relatively low speed - 10-15 mph or less).

I live in town and drive 90 miles or so to the hunt club to hunt. this is a mix of highway and country roads. When I go fishing, it's approximately 150 miles of pure highway (70-75 mph average) with about 10 miles of city driving at each end.

During the off season, I use the truck to run the occasional errand (typicaly once or twice a week) to move the fluids around and keep everything lubricated.

If I find the right deal, I'd like to get a slide-in camper one day.

Driveability and functionality are major concerns with cost and ride running close seconds.

Do any of these items come into play when considering a locker?

If so, how?

I have searched for threads that discuss lockers and I have learned a good bit from reading them. Problem is I am still fuzzy on a few things....

1. Will having lockers in the rear affect mileage?

2. Will having lockers in the rear affect tire wear?

3. How much $$$ (ball park) should I expect Detroit Soft Lockers for the rear to cost (installed)?

4. Will having the Detroit Soft Lockers in the rear affect ride and handling? If so, how?

Based on everything in this post, should I be considering a selectable locker (ARB, OX, ELocker, other?) instead of the Detroit soft locker?

After reading the posts, I feel that putting lockers in the rear is the right answer, but I'm still not sure.....

5. Is there a better solution to my problem?

Last edited by garymake; 11-17-2003 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:58 PM
PsRumors
Mountain Pass
Gary...I may be waaayyyy off base here but I would say that if a LS is not working the locker wont do much better. Now, the locker is better so don't everyone get there panties wadded. But as for traction there wont be a HUGE difference. There is in strength and longevety.

With having a LS in the rear that is working I would consider putting something up front first.

But prior to all that, what type of probelms are you experiencing? What type of tires are you running? Are your tires not cleaning themselves?

I am in N GA and know about the clay it sucks.

Old 11-17-2003, 02:08 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
1. it shoudlnt
2. yes
3. $250 for a new Detroit EZ and a couple of shop hours to install (although they are fairly easy to do yourself if you follow the directions)
4. yep....you'll hate it on ice
5. I dunno

A locker will only help you when only ONE wheel is slipping or stuck. When both are slipping....the locker will just force them both to slip at the same speed.

Is it worth while........hell yes.

Old 11-17-2003, 02:29 PM
garymake
Senior User
The tire point is a good one - I know the stock tires suck (Firestones) in slippery conditions and when these wear out, I plan on getting a better set.

After rereading my post, I realized that I didn't detail the problem very well.....

When I have a problem, one rear wheel is spinning and the other is not. I expected the LS unit to prevent this from happening. I have had limited success by pressing the brakes while trying to accelerate out of a slippery situation - but I feel that this is a POOR solution to a serious design flaw.

In drier areas of these logging roads, I can punch it and the limited slip catches and works - but when things get slick, it acts just like an open diff..

Last edited by garymake; 11-17-2003 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:48 PM
PsRumors
Mountain Pass
if only one wheel will spin you definately have a problem. Make the dealer fix it buy some good tires then put a ls up front. From there if you get stuck you will need more than a locker in the rear

That would be my plan of attack, good luck.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, if you're getting stuck because only one wheel is spinning its because your limited slip isn't working correctly or its pretty worthless to begin with. Lets face it, limited slips still do just that; slip. This being the case, a Detroit Locker would make a big difference. I'd also add a supercharger just to be on the safe side though

Old 11-20-2003, 10:04 PM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User
LS is not all some people make it out to be because I have one in my truck it works fine to make both rear tires spin when both are under close to the same conditions. But it does slip in certain conditions and the stock tires are the crappiest ever. If you want some good tires try maybe the BFG A/T's or M/T's. If you have the money a really good tire is the Good Year MTR. Try some new tires on your truck before investing in a locker since you do a lot of highway driving. If you did alot of off roading I would say get a locker but in your case try tires they really make a difference.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:05 PM
jopey
Elder User
if your truck is a 2002 F-250 then your only option I think right now is the full detroit locker. the 10.5 steerling has very few locker options avaliable. there might be a spool out there.

as far as tire wear if your hard on the gas in turns your tires will wear faster than if you coast as they will unlock.

If it was me.... I would get the detroit. (not the ez locker one) have it installed and forget about it.

you probably also have a Dana 60 in the front. you can get a ARB locker for that. I know they are pricey but you will be glad you have it when things get tough.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:44 PM
vman
Elder User
I know the LS can be worthless at times. I put a powertrax locker in my 93. It goes in the stock diff, replacing the spider gears. I didn't want to have the truck down having the reat set up. This setup has been trouble free. It works just the way it is supposed to.In northeast ohio, I haven't even locked the hubs since I installed it. On the other hand, it shakes and chirps around corners very bad unless you are driving like grandma. It also will make the truck pull if the tires aren't inflated the same or aren't the same circumference. Lastly, all my tires were in the same condition when I put them on. People whine about the TTB wearing out tires. My back tires have about half the tread of my fronts.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:53 PM
gilraine
Tuned
Originally posted by jopey
if your truck is a 2002 F-250 then your only option I think right now is the full detroit locker. the 10.5 steerling has very few locker options avaliable. there might be a spool out there.

as far as tire wear if your hard on the gas in turns your tires will wear faster than if you coast as they will unlock.

If it was me.... I would get the detroit. (not the ez locker one) have it installed and forget about it.

you probably also have a Dana 60 in the front. you can get a ARB locker for that. I know they are pricey but you will be glad you have it when things get tough.
+

ARB does make an air locker for the sterling....that would be a great move, along with some BFG MTs...

Old 11-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Tuff02Ranger
New User
I hate to comment too much as I don't know much about lockers and LS either. I've always debated the same thing as to put in a locker or not. However, I will offer some advice the same as mentioned above. I took the stock tires off my 02 Ranger 4x4 when I got it and threw on a set of BFG T/A's and it made a world of difference. I think tires are going to be your best bet.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:10 PM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User
Lie i said above you don't really wheel your truck enough to just throw a locker in it for the odd time you go off road try tires.

Old 11-27-2003, 03:46 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread has good info and plenty of links.

Old 11-27-2003, 04:28 PM
BadKarma
New User
ARB Lockers are in my limited opinion the best selectable on the market, plus with the added compressor you have onboard air. Lockers remove all doubt as to wether or not your dif is turning both tires. With selectable lockers you will also benifit from better tire wear on pavement when they are not locked in as it will function like an open dif. The cost is way out there for most people but if tires don't help a locker is the next logical step. Detroits are pretty bullet proof with fewer peices to brake on the trail but you will, as stated earlier, hate it on ice and you will also have to learn to coast through corners on pavement. If you decide on locker bite the bullet and go selectable in front and rear. Also a super charger never hurt anyone.

BadKarma

Last edited by BadKarma; 11-27-2003 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:53 PM
patsplace
Senior User
I'm not running compromise tires, they're large agressive tires and I have a limited slip in my F-250. I'd go with an ARB in the FRONT before I did anything to the rear. Once the ARB is up front, put one in the back.

All this takes place after you've mounted agressive off road tires. Yep, they whine, yep they wear and a LOUD YEP they work off road.
Good luck,
Pat