I6 240 headers install

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 08:57 AM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I6 240 headers install

Ive read a few threads on headers and there are a few people saying that it is a pain to install. Ive never had problems installing headers on an 8 but never dealt with a 6. I will get them on next tuesday and kinda want to know what to expect. I was wondering if the people having problems is due to there trucks being newer models with emissions and FI. mines a 66' nothin to it.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
I think it will be one of the easiest engines that you will ever install headers on . The frames are a little closer on 65-66 than on the 74 that i did . Are you getting the ones that are 3into1 and 3into1 one of these comes a little low . You could run the upper one to the other side or bend a pipe to raise the lower one i had the 2 mufflers stacked one high one low .be ready to feel the power!

Old 11-21-2003, 11:26 AM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
Ya there the hedmans 3-1x3-1. all I will have is those going into some purple hornies bolted straight up to them with a 3" outlet on the end. I might have to use some flex pipe between the headers and the hornies but anyway thats what im gonna have until I can afford a full exhaust out the back. im gonna post a link to a sound clip of it once done. seems a few people would like to hear there choices. thanks for the reply

Old 11-22-2003, 02:53 PM
voodoosurfer
Senior User
what about the gasket?

how does the exhaust gasket work. is the intake and exhaust all the same gasket? so I will have tp remove the intake when I do this. at least I can paint it up a bit.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:40 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ended up putting a new stock exhaust manifold on. I have a set of EFI's too. I had a set of header gaskets from FelPro which I ruined before I realized what the hell I was doing. (like, I didn't need them at all, but sprayed them with copper coat before I realized this, thus converting them to such sticky things that I has to toss them)

Here's what I know and have learned:

1) Ford put just a gasket between the intake manifold and head. NO gasket at all between the exhaust manifold and head. Why? No one knows for sure.

2) Later one, gasket companies started to add a full gasket under both the intake and exhaust. They did this to help the common exhaust leaks that were happening with the stock units. Since the stock intake and exhaust manifold bolt together, and since they share bolts in some places, the gaskets under the intake and exhaust needed to be different thicknesses. Thus, you will see gasket kits that have two gaskets -- a thick one that goes under everything and a thin one that goes under JUST the intake.

3) since your headers do NOT bolt up to the intake via the heat riser, the gasket thinknesses are less critical. But, not insignificant. I have not seen the hedmans, so I cannot speak for sure, but I bet they use some of the same bolts as the intake, right? That means if you have too much gasketing on one or the other, you won't get one of the other to snug down correctly.

4) the Fel Pro header gaskets were a little thicker and made to cover ONLY the exhaust ports. Clearly to be used with headers.

That's what I know. Its not a full answer. But knowledge emerges in pieces.

My GUESS is that you should try the two part gasket kit, install BOTH, remember to re-torque the bolts frequently at first and hope for the best. Havd heard a lot of nightmares about headers and leaks......