Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Senior User

jdon88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2150 Choke Adjustment

Anyone have a good procedure for setting the choke on Motorcraft 2150 carb? I tried following the procedure from the Jeep site,
http://www.ford-trucks.com/frameredi...uel/2150.shtml
but have problems. The part that doesn't make sense to me is rotating the choke spring 90 degrees rich, when I do that the choke plate stays open too far no matter how much I turn the adjusting screws. I made the adjustments with the choke spring in the normal position and engine running, it works better but think it needs some fine tuning. When I start it cold it usually stalls after a few seconds. On second attempt it usually keeps running. This carb has the hot air and electric assist choke. I know I have a leak in the hot air tube, I haven't been able to find a replacement yet. I don't know if the air leak is causing this or if my adjustment is still off.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Posting Guru

bubbaf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You need to have the choke closed as far as it will go to properly set fast-idle cam engagement, choke pull-down clearance, and choke unloader clearance.

If the temperature is very warm around the carb (or the bimetallic spring is weak), you may need to turn the thermostat farther than 90 degrees to completely close the choke.

Are you sure you rotated the choke thermostat toward rich and not lean? Baxter's explanation is somewhat unclear. To turn the thermostat toward rich, you need to turn it counter-clockwise, as you face it from the right side of the carb. The choke plate should start closing immediately when you turn the thermostat toward rich.

I don't think your start-up problem is related to the hot air tube. I think it's the pull-down adjustment, or maybe a defective pull-down diaphragm. It could also be the fast-idle speed adjustment.

Some choke hot air tubes are still available from Ford dealers as Motorcraft parts. A leak in the hot air tube could make the choke take longer to release when the engine warms up.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Senior User

jdon88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK now I feel stupid...Bubba your right, I was turning 90 degrees lean (clockwise), something about the diagram in the rebuild kit made it look like clockwise to me. I'll readjust and see how it runs. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 AM
New User

jdcron is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi Hot air tube, you can get them at
Laurel Mountain Mustang
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM
New User

Oldgreen100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a question...im sorry to cut in but i have no clue how to post on this forum. I have a 1978 Ford F250 with a 351 and a Motorcraft 2150 carb. Runs nice but here on top of a mountain, at 19 degrees (or less. Brr Arctic evil weather) it won't start. The choke is closed so much that absolutely no air can get in. Where would u usually set a choke in order to start this puppy at altitude and freezing cold? He's been very unhappy lately 😕
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System

Tags
2150, 351c, adjustment, auto, carburetor, choke, clearance, closed, ford, motorcraft, pulldown, replacement, setting, settings, thermostat, tube