1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Coil pack going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:38 PM
boxdoc2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horseman, are you referring to finding the bad coil? I had mine at a dealership and they stated the misfire was in cyl 1. I didn't have them replace it at that time as they wanted a small fortune. However, the truck runs fine during cold weather vs. warmer temps. Could this be related to an O2 sensor by chance as well? Any thoughts are welcome!

Old 12-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Iceman8984
Junior User
Box, Is yours a 4.6 or 5.4. The 5.4's have 8 coils while some of the early 4.6's have 2. The fact that it runs better in cool weather may still be due to a coil. Especillay if it has 8. The cooler denser fuel air mixture seems to light of a little easier. Plus the cooler weather makes for cooler temps under the hood. And most of the coil pack problems I had to deal with became more apparent as the under hood temperature increased.

Preparation, If the darn thing doesn't set a code there is no way of knowing which coil is bad. And you need some form of ODB II scan tool to retrieve the codes.

Hope this helps

Old 12-06-2003, 11:06 AM
boxdoc2
Junior User
Thanks Iceman. It's the 5.4 L. The last time I had it checked the code read for cyl. #1. I'm almost positive. It sounds like even I might be able to do this fix so I'll pick up the coil pack and give it a shot. Thanks to all!

Old 12-06-2003, 12:18 PM
horseman1
Junior User
Our 5.4 ran me crazy, of course the first one I changed was #4 on pass. side. Still ran ?hitty in the morning but at or after lunch it ran better. So I had a little bit of time I started swapping them out, I knew I had at least one bad one so I bought 2 off of E-bay for 42 new, and 2 from Adv. auto parts for about 45 a pop, that would let me change a whole bank, by elimation I found #2 driver side to be bad, no signs of cracks or arcing at all.. These things will run U crazy and break u too.

Old 12-06-2003, 02:02 PM
blow
New User
I know that this is going to sound a little goofy, but at about the time that the Expy starting running a little strange I noticed a ticking noise. Sounded just like a lifter tapping away. After they did the coil change the noise went away. That coil must have been arcing away for a while. I guess the next time I hear what sounds like valvetrain noise, I'll be looking for a bad coil.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Vegas Ernie
Junior User
The number #4 cylinder coil pack on 5.4's is a problem. There is a heater hose directly above it and next to the firewall. If that hose begins to leak, and it is a common occurance, the antifreeze drops onto the #4 coil pack. Look closely at the pack because it does not take much fluid to do the job of ruining that coil pack. I belive the code on that one is P0304.

Old 12-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Iceman8984
Junior User
Doesn't sound goofy Blow ........... I will keep this in mind.
Thanx

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
expeditiondevil
New User
Coil Packs Bad Here Too

I have a 2003 and from the beginning of owning it the coil packs have continually gone out starting a couple times a year. Even under warranty and now out of warranty I'm still replacing them.
I've replaced the packs, the modules, the electrical wires to them, the plugs and whatever else is in line with it. I've had to replace all the coils this year 6 times alone. Make it 7 as it sits in the driveway tonight with the same thing going on.

5 days ago it was in the shop getting 6 of them replaced. Now put on a scope the other three that didn't go out are now out. Plus the #1 which just got replaced is now bad. I don't know I think I've got a lemon here. It sits more than I get to drive it.

I've had it at 5 different shops over the time and not one of them could really tell me what the source is that is actually forcing these items to go bad. I've gotten reasons of, antifreeze, water, cracked wires, just bad coil packs, to manufacturing flaws. It would be nice to know what the root cause of this would be. The vehicle is going away soon if I can't keep it on the road for more thant a few miles at a time.

Anyone else have this much problems and did you ever find a resolution?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Am I reading this correctly, you've put 48 coils in it this year?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM
expeditiondevil
New User
That's correct Tom. I love this SUV but not sure what to do at this point. None of the mechanics I've taken to seem to know what is causing this. Every time it seems to point to a different issue.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Perhaps it's the brand of COPs they're installing.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
expeditiondevil
New User
Could be. I've tried several locations myself. Last few times was from AutoZone as they have lifetime warranty. Guess doesn't mean they last a long time!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by expeditiondevil
5 days ago it was in the shop getting 6 of them replaced. Now put on a scope the other three that didn't go out are now out.
Sounds like they are scoping the secondary side of the COPs based on their reasons for failure.
I think they should be scoping the primary side to see whats taking them out.

What are these modules you speak of that were replaced?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM
expeditiondevil
New User
Ok so not 'modules' but module. I've had the powertrain control module replaced as the Ford dealership thought that was the problem at one time. It did fix it but three weeks later the #3 went out. It didn't make sense that that module would only be affecting the coils. Who knows.

I'm taking it to a new mechanic on Monday that I heard has had some experience working on these. I'll talk to him about scoping the primary side like you say and see if it might have a tell-tell sign of what might be making these blow out so quick. Almost like a surge or something that is maybe producing too much voltage on them. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Troy97Expedition
New User
Originally Posted by boxdoc2
Is it difficult to replace a coil pack? I'm told that my #1 needs replaced. Similar issues only my "chugging" gets really bad. Seems to run better in the cold weather though. Hmmmm.....
There is only 2 i believe 8mm screws its not hard just annoying im trying to remember where #1 is located but u have 4 each side the six u can see real easy the two in the back by the fire wall annoyiny as hell lol good luck

Quick Reply: Coil pack going bad?