Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat and performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 07:56 PM
MunsterGarage
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thermostat and performance

Looking for some opinions here...

If a tstat is stuck open, what are some of the symptoms of performance? I know it throws things out of wack. Im driving a 95 F250 351w (my uncles truck). Its getting cold and snowy...the defroster aint that great(luke warm) and the performance is kinda like s***. Fresh tune-up few months ago. The idle is kinda poor in park and sometimes in gear. Once in awhile if Im stoped and hit the gas to go, it seems to bog down then suddenly take off full force...this isnt all the time though. Im thinking the tstat because of the defrost issue and the info the computer is getting thinking its always running cold. Also, my temp gauge doesnt rise and come back down as the stat would open. It only rises to just before the "n" on "normal" to me it seems to low. On my 89 it stays around the "r". All advice welcome...its a blizzard out there......later

Old 11-15-2003, 08:05 AM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
Well hope this helps. Fords don't seem to run worth a darn when cold. All of my trucks (4) run like doo-doo till warm, then they run like a raped ape. My 84 w/ 302 is almost a nightmare till warm, won't idle runs horribly rough etc. If the t stat is stuck then it never really gets up to the right temp. Like I said hope this helps. OOOOOOOOOH yeah with a new stat your defrost will be like an oven, all Fords have awesome heat. Like I said hope this helps.

CJ

Old 11-15-2003, 09:27 AM
crispy2010
New User
I agree, when I bought my truck the idiot that used to own it took the tstat out! Even after a tune up and lotsa tweaking it was still running funny and not much heat!

I put a tstat in it and it was like having a new motor, truck runs much better when running at proper temps!