1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 PSD Problem Starting in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 04:48 PM
bkampbel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
96 PSD Problem Starting in cold weather

I have a 96 PSD, AT, with 40K miles. Lately I am having trouble starting when cold and it is not plugged in. It will try to start to turn over but it will take a couple trys to fire up. Also, I am not sure if this is related in anyway but sometimes when I turn the key nothing will happen and I have to wiggle the shifter around and it will finally start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I expect the wiggling of the shifter is related to some degree, but I can't help you with that part. I'll take a shot at starting in cold weather when the truck hasn't been plugged in, though. I don't know how cold it is where you are, but assuming it's between 0-20*, the way I start mine when it gets that cold is to turn the key to the "on" position to start the glow plugs. I'll wait about 15 seconds, and turn the key "off". Then, turn the key back to the "on" position, and wait for the "Wait to Start" light to go out. Then, turn 'er over.
The reason I turn the key "off" and back "on" is so the glow plugs will continue to cycle longer after the truck is running. The colder it gets, the longer I wait before the "off"/"on" thing, and the longer I'll let it idle before taking off. Below 20*, I'll let it idle for two minutes before dropping 'er into gear and rolling down the driveway. I'm real gentle with her until I've gone about 2 miles, just getting the lubrication distributed, then let 'er rip.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:10 PM
bkampbel
Junior User
Thanks for your advice. I was looking through other posts and I am seeing that it is usually either battery problems or the glow plug relay. I would like to fix whatever the problem is so it will start when it is suppose to. I am going to check the batteries today to see if that is the problem. Is it normal for batteries to go bad on PSD with only 40K miles? Thanks.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Diesels are notoriously hard on batteries, especially when you think about how they start their day: the glow plugs come on, which drain a lot of juice out of them, then you try to turn over a large V8 with a lot of compression, then, once it starts, the glow plugs continue to cycle for up to a minute and a half. Only once the glow plugs have cycled completely does the alternator get to start putting juice back in them. The batteries get drained a lot more per start than they would on a gasser, so 40K miles wouldn't be too far out of line, though many last a lot longer.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:48 PM
modded97
New User
Between my father and I we have owned 4 powerstroke trucks. My 97 4x4 has 115,000 miles, being 6 years old I am pleased to say that I still have the original batteries in mine. I dont live in the harshest conditions but where I live in Missouri it does reach 110 F. and -20F. respectively. I think they have done pretty well. My dads 95 CC 4x2 with 260,000 miles on it is on its 4th set of batteries but in all fairness it is hooked to a 24' gooseneck every day of its life, and I think that all the accesory lights and other electronics have surely had an effect of this. We did have the glowplugs and glow plug relay replaced recently and it helped a lot.[/list]
97 F350 4x4 5spd. AFE Magnum force intake, SCMT tri mode, Banks 3" stainless downpipe, no cat or muffler, 3 1/2" stainless tip, white gauges

Old 11-19-2003, 04:08 PM
bkampbel
Junior User
Just wanted to update you on what I discovered. Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I checked the batteries and they seemed to be fine. After calling the dealer I bought a new glow plug relay. That seemed to help it start better but something still seemed to be off. Also, after talking to a mechanic friend a while back he said it could be a starter relay. I bought one at the dealer and that seemed to solve the problem. I started it up this morning which was fairly cold and it fired right up. Hopefully problem solved. Time will tell though.