Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

95 Explorer Lamp Out Warning Module

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 01:41 PM
cstigas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 95 Explorer Lamp Out Warning Module

My drivers side headlamp was not working, and after a few hours of troubleshooting I realized it was the lamp out warning module.

I replaced the module a few days ago, and now my brake lights are acting up. The console says check brake light circuit. The drivers side brake light is out (although the lamp is not burnt) and the center brake lamp is intermittent.

Any ideas anyone?

Chris

Old 11-14-2003, 07:15 AM
betty
New User
Where did you find the L O M. The say it's under the consil but where exactly. Is it under the cup area, or the com partment area or the electronic area.

Old 11-14-2003, 10:49 AM
cstigas
New User
It's on the passenger side of the console - right where the digital console is, 10-15 cm infront of the cupholder. The box is about 5cm x 10 cm. It has a big orange sticker on it - although I think you can only see the sticker once you take it out.

Email me if you still can't find it and I can take a digital photo of it and send it to you.

Chris

Old 06-14-2004, 07:00 PM
overtow
New User
Chris, How did you fix your explorer headlamp?

Hello,

I read your post and saw that you had some problems with the brake lights after you replaced the Lamp Out Module. What did you have to do to fix that? Replace the LOM again?

I'm having the same problem with my drivers side headlamp on my 97 Eddie Bauer. I just replaced the multifunction switch, but it did not fix it, which leads me to believe that it is the LOM in the console.

Hopefully this gets to you....Thanks in advance for any tips from anyone!!!

DanO

Old 06-15-2004, 07:28 AM
cstigas
New User
Lom

Actually it turned out to be burnt out lights. Once I replaced the LOM everything worked fine.

You could try replacing the LOM. You should check the schematic first to see how everything is wired up on the 97. I know it's a little different than the 95. I'm guessing you checked the obvious things first like the fuse right?

Old 06-15-2004, 11:12 AM
overtow
New User
Lom

Last night, I checked everything again using a schematic. Everything has been tested working except the LOM. I did some more research and there are a number of people experiencing the same issue I am with the drivers side lamp on dim and the LOM.

I could not find the LOM on Autozone nor Advance Auto Parts' websites, but someone said it is $350. Is this true? Where did you get the new LOM?

Thanks!!

DanO

Old 06-15-2004, 04:52 PM
cstigas
New User
Lom

No this definitely not true... I picked one up at the dealership for $90 Canadian dollars, which is about $70 USD. It's not that expensive. $350 is probably what they charge you with installation, but installation is pretty easy.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:39 PM
gillisbayho
New User
Replacing the LOM

Looks like I have the same problem as you. I have a 1995 Explorer EB with the trip computer. My passenger side headlight and foglights are not working. Checked the fuses, voltage at the fuses, light bulbs, etc. Found a burned and fused passenger side foglight, but all the other bulbs were fine. Based on the posts, I suspect the LOM.

Does anyone have any idea where the fasteners are to remove the center console. Generally, when I start removing interior parts, I always break something, so I'm trying to be careful. Any photos of the R&R procedure would also be helpful.

Gil>

Old 07-18-2004, 09:54 PM
cstigas
New User
from what I can remember, there are two screws on the side of the center console towards the floor, and one or two screws in the ashtray -- but it depends on which console you have. There are a couple of different models I think... I have a limited edition so it has the digital console.

Once you get the screws out there are four clips on the side, so if you just push in against the sides, the whole center console will pretty much pull out.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:35 AM
overtow
New User
Fixing the Explorer Light Outage Module

To remove the cupholder and message console:

First, squeeze in from the sides on the message console and pull while squeezing in, take your time and don't yank it.

Next, squeeze in on the cupholder section of the console and lift from the back.

I had mine apart in about 2 minutes, I actually reversed the order above, but I ran into a little snag b/c the cupholder was under the console. The LOM is on the passenger side of the console, kind of a pain to get to. You will need a phillips head screwdriver.

I also found another guy who ran into the same problem with the LOM. He was nice enough to post his findings and fix on the web. It turns out that the LOM is actually prone to break solder joints, as you will see in his pics. After looking at his pics, I looked at my LOM again and saw the exact same solder failure, but on a different joint. So, I am going to re-solder my board today and see if it fixes it.

Here is the link to his pics:

http://www.esysdev.com/FordExplorerLOM

Good Luck!
Dan

Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM
95EXPLODER
Senior User
These LOM modules can be fixed easily if one knows how to solder. The solder pionts where the harness conects to the circuit board is usually the problem. Un-solder then resolder the conections. Shoot if you're gonna buy a new one dosen't hurt try fixing the old one.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Top Jimmy
New User
Lightbulb A little Cross-posting might help...

For those of you having brake light problems you might give this thread a read...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=228333

Best of Luck,
Jimmy

Old 08-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Top Jimmy
New User
Unhappy Spoke too soon

Ok, I have really had it. To make a short story long, recently my two brake lights stop working but the third high lamp continues to work. I have read all the threads and thought I had hit gold with this one. I have replaced the Brake Switch on the pedal and checked fuses, etc. To no avail.

I figured it was the much discussed Lamp Out Module. After seeing the Pictures from the post above (thanks) I figured it was a no brainer. However, after gingerly removing the center console and cup holder I was shocked to find LOM was not there. Everything else in the photos is right were it is supposed to be, but not the LOM.

Now, being this is cheap knock off Mountineer and not a EB Exp, it has no Message Center (amen), still I am thinking it should have a LOM -- somewhere. I would like to check it, it only I could find it. Maybe I should get (gasp) a manual?

I am aware of the fact it could be something else. For example, I have noticed that sometimes there is a buzz that comes from the steering column, indicating a short of some kind... one of you posted that his problem with his brakes was a short in the hazzard switch... could this be the problem instead of the LOM?

I am open for advice with locating the LOM or alternative means of fixin' this problem.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited by Top Jimmy; 08-19-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:42 PM
overtow
New User
LOM in a Mountaineer

TJ-

When I was trying to diagnose the electrical problem with the lights, I saw that the only truck with the LOM is one that has the message center. The whole purpose of the LOM's meek existence is to tell the message center to say "Check Headlamps" , nothing more. So, if you don't have the message center you probably don't have a LOM.

I would doubt that the turn signal would be the problem for brake lights. When I took it out, I was hoping that the dimmer switch inside the turnsignal was bad.

Sorry I'm not any help, but good luck!

DanO

Old 08-20-2004, 08:13 AM
mason
Elder User
The buzz is likely the multi-function switch (MFS). When this goes bad a number of things can happen like faulty turn signals, head light problems, etc, but I've never heard of it causing the brake lights not to work. The switch is about $55 at the dealer.

Mason