AOD off AODE ON???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Mr Ed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOD off AODE ON???

If you remove an AOD can you replace it with an AODE without shifting problems?

Old 11-10-2003, 10:49 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean an E4OD tranny? If so, the E4OD is very ecm involved. I would just stick with and AOD or start looking for all of the parts, including a different rear set up with the speed sensor.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: AOD off AODE ON???

Originally posted by Mr Ed
If you remove an AOD can you replace it with an AODE without shifting problems?
No, absolutely not!

An AOD is all mechanical. Its only input from the outside is the TV Rod or Cable down from the throttle linkage. The AOD has a governor on its output shaft, and has a valve body that makes the shift selections based on governor pressure (road speed) and TV pressure (demand).

An AOD-E is the later electrically-shifted evolution of the mechanical AOD. The AOD-E is dependent on the EEC computer to collect the data and tell it when to shift, via driving the proper shift solenoids.

Old 11-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Mr Ed
New User
So if I get the EEC from a truck that had an AODE tranny, can I then use the AOD# and install the EEC? Or must the EEC be from the very same truck the AODE came from? We just put an AODE on a truck that we took the AOD off.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Man, what a project. Not only would you need a proper EEC that works an AOD-E, you need the harness to go with it. And what about the engine sensors and systems that the AOD-E compatible EEC wants to see? I know the later 4R70W compatible EEC used all sorts of engine sensors to determine when to shift. And you need proper speed pickup too.

Another way might be a electronics box from someone like Baumann Engineering. I don't know if they have one for the AOD-E, and the setup might be pricey for what you want to do.

Either way, you took an electronic trans out of its electronic environment, and plopped it into a mechanical environment. It would seem that locating a suitable AOD would be a cheaper and quicker solution.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:51 AM
Mr Ed
New User
Thanks for the info. As they say in the NFL, "Upon further review......", I may not have put an AODE in. I thought the AODE only had one extra plug on it when you compared it to the AOD. They guy at the salvage yard said the AODE has about six extra connections. Does that sound accurate? The salvage yard trans guy is giving us another AOD(he says), but it still has a connector at the tail of the trans that we have no wire from the truck to connect to. The original trans did not have this connector at the tail. The guy said this extra connector was for "idiot lights".

Old 11-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
I don't know for sure how many connectors an AOD-E has, but 6 connectors sounds more like a electric porcupine than a trans.

A 4R70W has about 3 connectors:

Manual Lever Position Sensor/Starter Interlock/Backup Lamp.
Shift Solenoids/Temp Sensor/Pressure Control.
Output Shaft Speed Sensor.

The last AOD's, at least in RWD cars, no longer had the turning wire within a sheath-type of speedometer cable. The speedo had gone electric instead. In the extension housing hole on the left side of the trans, instead of the old familiar speedo cable, was a speed pickup with an electrical connector on it. The speed pickup hole and mounting was the same, so either speedo method could be used. With the electrical method, changing rear end ratios or tire size just meant getting a different tooth-count gear to put onto the electrical pickup.

What year and model and 2WD/4WD truck are you swapping trans's on?

Old 11-13-2003, 05:10 AM
Mr Ed
New User
This is a 1993 2WD 5.0L engine.

The old trans did not have the speedometer hole on the trans nor the electrical connector next to the speedometer hole, only the connector on top of the trans. That connector had 4 pins. The new trans has the speedometer hole and connection next to that. We have no wire coming from this truck engine to connect to the connector/sensor next to the speedometer hole either. The new trans also has like a pressure relief valve on top of the trans at the converter end.

This newest trans from the salvage yard appears to have come from a car since it too has a shorter filler-tube.

We are taking the old new one off Sat and installing the newest new one.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
I was thinking, are you absolutely sure that '93 had an AOD in it, and not an AOD-E? The last year for AOD in the big RWD cars was '92.

An AOD around those years would have the TV Cable going from the throttle linkage down to the trans. An AOD-E would not.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:47 AM
Mr Ed
New User
Here is a shot of the old trans showing the only electrical connector circled in yellow.

Here is the "new" trans showing the speedo hole and extra electrical connector.

Here is the "pressure relief" valve???? on the new trans which also was not present on the old trans.

And here is a shot of the inside of the new trans.

The manual lever linkage and TV linkage are identical.

So, did I take an AOD off and am I trying to reinstall an AODE? First think Sat morning, I am draining some of the new 30 pints of fluid we put in to get the level down to the cross-hatch area on the dipstick. Just to see if a simple fix is the deal.

Last edited by Mr Ed; 11-14-2003 at 06:50 AM.