General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The biggest drain on American Law Enforcement resources

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 01:08 AM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest drain on American Law Enforcement resources

I'll need to be careful how I word this topic statement....
Every day I read in the newspaper about cops pulling meth-labs out of houses, motel rooms, campers, vans, etc., in the Denver area, and I am just curious how big this problem is in other areas.
I see pictures of cops pulling babies out of these environs, and it makes me sick. Does anybody else here know how toxic that crap really is? I want 5 minutes alone with those wackos.
I also wonder if anybody knows or can find a figure stating how much the eradication of such nuisances is costing the taxpayers...
It sucks to see that police bust 15 meth labs a day, and they still can't take a dent out of the problem...it's incredilbe how prevalent it is. I am really not a fan of law enforcement in general, but I give praise to the men and women fighting this epidemic.
BDV

Old 11-10-2003, 01:17 AM
just_brian
Senior User
Re: The biggest drain on American Law Enforcement resources

Originally posted by big_daddy_velvet
I'll need to be careful how I word this topic statement....
I am really not a fan of law enforcement in general, but...
BDV
edit

Last edited by Ryan50hrl; 11-14-2003 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Vanhecht
Elder User
no matter how much is doen its never good enough is it?

Old 11-10-2003, 01:30 AM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
C'mon, brian. If you are a cop, take it easy. I gave the police PROPS for their efforts. Just because I am not a "fan", doesn't mean I hate law enforcement; they make me safer and more secure and I realize that.
Now, if you are a police officer, please, relate your experiences pertaining to this topic, I am really interested.
BDV

Last edited by Ryan50hrl; 11-14-2003 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:03 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
BDV,

I think the prevalence of the problem is topographic ~and~ demographically oriented.

So help me, I spent about four months living on a mountain top in Eastern Oklahoma (ever heard of Bell ?). The local sheriffs department had an armored and armed halftrack and they would not set foot on that mountain after dark. Seriously, and they bought it, naturally, with proceeds from drug busts.

Unfortunately, it is also the home of the last full blooded Cherokee Indian tribe (proven to exist).

I guess what I am saying is that desperate people do desperate things - even very peaceful people.

I think we need to ignore the ^*&% drugs and focus the resources on fixing the "desperate" part that got 'em there in the first place in situations like that one.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I know that here in Arkasnsas we are the largest Meth producing state in the country....hmm...amazing huh? in arkasnsas of all places?

Old 11-13-2003, 09:00 PM
splitmaster
Senior User
Here in Arizona there is a place called Circle City. They have a meth lab explode every other week down there. The place is a total dump. It is discouraging to see that they cant rope this thing in that is for sure.

Old 11-13-2003, 09:28 PM
discorabbit
Junior User
Articles in our newspaper only say that we are winning the war against the production and distribution. It is extremely sad, but if this is gonna be a billion dollar war, I just hope we start to follow the education of; instead of the imprisoning of. Lets learn from our past mistakes.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:15 PM
62uni
Senior User
How does prohibition help? At least in the bad old days before the DEA, anyone wanting speed could go to a doctor, explain that they were fat or tired, and likely get some really tingly pure stuff, like black beauties and real crosstops, none of this stinking bathtub meth, just pharmacy pure amphetamines. But hey, the drug wars keep the cops and prisons busy, and if you like lawyers, you gotta love the diet, er, drug wars, cause that is what is clogging the courts, resulting in huge costs for all. Destroying American's freedom of choice is expensive, but is it worth it?

Old 11-14-2003, 12:35 AM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
I agree that prohibition does not work
however, here in norhtern CA meth is an epidemic
I have lost too many friends and family to
I believe it was invented by **** scientists
having personally tried it many years ago, I could never see how anyone could get addicted to such crap
I don't know what the answer is

Old 11-14-2003, 06:20 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
having personally tried it many years ago, I could never see how anyone could get addicted to such crap
It is cheap and easy to make. And it turns a HUGE profit.

I lived in Nevada for a few years and they say that there are meth labs all over the place out there. It is a prime place for it, too, because there are so few people out in the desert areas. Nothin' out there but coyotes and jackalopes to bother production. And in the cool, dry air in the higher regions, sound travels an amazing distance so you can tell when folks are sneaking up on you. Seems to me that no matter how many cops are out there busting these labs, there are just more people willing to take their places. It is sad, but it seems that we may be losing the war (on drugs).

Old 11-14-2003, 10:46 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
In Kansas the cops seem to love the property confiscation, after that their level of commitment drops to nil. Farmers and Coops are broken into all the time by people looking for anhydrous ammonia to use in meth production. Around Salina the cops don't even bother to come out if you report a break in. They only warn you not to use a propane tank as bait.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:34 PM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
Yeah, I guess it's a pretty sad state of affairs pretty much anywhere you go.
What is even sadder is that the higher ups think that the solution is simply busting people and incarcerating them. Gimme a break! If you are willing to risk burning down your house and killing yourself, how is jail a deterrent? Especially when the benefit of getting away with it is so high?
For every meth lab they bust, there are two or more out there pumping out product, and there isn't any shortage of demand. You would think that they would get the idea when they bust 3 labs a day every day for 2 years straight and nothing changes. People from every walk of life are using it these days, now that the quality of it has gone up. I hear that there is a huge meth epidemic among 30-something urban white professionals, which isn't that shocking to me, but should be to the folks trying to eradicate the drug. Now the people with money are buying this product, not just trailer trash and hoodlums...
Just another chapter in the story of the miserable failure of our country's drug policies...
BDV

Old 11-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Highpockets658
Freshman User
Rural Tennessee, murder, labs exploding, dopeheads stealing to support their habit. Just one of our "freedoms"that i spent 20 years of my life defending. Solution?? Quit electing criminals to public office and severely punish those convicted of crimes. It doesn't do anyone any justice for police to arrest some scumbag and within 90 days they are back on the street. We need some respect for the law, if that means fear of being electrocuted or gassed, then so be it.

Old 11-14-2003, 08:44 PM
62uni
Senior User
Maybe we need respectable laws, not diet laws to benifit only corporate interests. Do the research, find out why some really addictive and deadly drugs are legal and others arn't. Change and challenge the drug laws and the get rid of the anti-freedom, anti American thugs who enforce them.

Quick Reply: The biggest drain on American Law Enforcement resources